The Most Important Rule

Chapter Six

Rustan glared up at the now-closed door to Chase's bedroom. That girl was one hell of a pain.

He strolled over to the phone and dialed the number to D.a.r.c. Headquarters; Thez picked up on the first ring. "Listen, Chase, if you're just calling to yell at me some more - "

"It's me," Rustan interjected.

"Oh," Thez said shortly. Rustan could easily sense the awkwardness; although Thez believed that having a vampire as an Agent was an excellent idea, Thez still remained uncomfortable around him.

"Is...Is there any particular reason why you called?" Thez inquired, breaking the silence.

"Just wondering if she's always like this," Rustan said, his tone as unemotional as ever.

Despite the whole fact that he was a scientifically-advanced vampire, Rustan's voice was probably the most unnerving thing about him. Unlike most people (specifically Chase, who had a certain fondness for yelling), it was quite obvious to tell what they were feeling by the tone or volume of their voice. But Rustan's voice never betrayed any emotions, and it was always hard to guess what he was thinking.

Thez didn't like this since he could never tell whether Rustan was feeling fine or in a bad mood. And talking to a grumpy vampire is definitely not a good idea.

"You mean angry and bitter at the world?" Thez asked.

"No, I mean a complete and total bitch," Rustan retorted.

"Ah," Thez said, fully understanding what Rustan meant. "Well, most of the time she's just...She doesn't mean to...well..."

Rustan noted Thez had a thing for stuttering. "Is that a yes, then?" he interrupted.

"...Well, yeah," Thez finally said. "Yes, she is."

Rustan sighed. "Fantastic," he muttered.

The first thing he had noticed about Chase was her character. And she was one hell of a character. Attitude problem, anger management issues, excessively violent...you name it. The girl was fiery.

The second thing he noticed was her appearance. She had clear sapphire eyes - such a stunning color, in fact, that Rustan almost mistook her for a vampire or a werewolf. Only immortal creatures can have such beautiful eyes.

But Chase was one-hundred percent human; he could smell it in her blood. Upon further investigation he was able to pick up minor details in her appearance that backed up this fact. For instance, her eyes weren’t as brilliantly colored as most immortals; they had a few flecks of dull gray in them.

If he wanted to get scientific about it, her features probably had something to do with the immunity gene she had. She wasn’t normal on the inside, so it made sense that she wouldn’t look normal on the outside.

"Do you think you can put up with her?" Thez asked.

"If you're asking if I'm wimping out, the answer is no. I wouldn't let her get off that easy." He smirked. "She's strong, though," he admitted. "She'll kick some major vampire ass."

"Yeah, that's what she's good at," Thez agreed.

"Anyway, I was wondering when the shipment was going to arrive," Rustan continued.

"You mean the blood? It will be there by tomorrow morning."

"Good," Rustan replied. Sensing that the conversation was over, he hung up the phone without saying goodbye.

D.a.r.c. was providing food for Rustan, a.k.a. blood. Lots and lots of blood. They were shipping packets of blood (from hospitals or blood donors) so that Rustan could eat without killing. Apparently, these D.a.r.c. workers didn't want Rustan eating a bunch of New Yorkers. Pity.

He sighed, agitated. Vampires could go for a few days without a bite to drink, but this was really pushing it. He hoped the shipment would arrive sooner tomorrow...he wasn't sure how much longer he could control his thirst.

Rustan climbed the stairs and proceeded to walk past Chase's room - but he heard her muttering from the inside.

He presumed that she was sleeping. She was probably having a nightmare or was sleep talking. He knew he shouldn't look. He knew she'd kill him if she happened to wake up and see him standing there. Rustan would be a piece of dead meat before he could even leave the room. This could very well be the death of him.

But curiosity won the best of him.

He slowly opened the door, making no more sound that a whisper of air. Peeking his head inside, he saw Chase - and she was right where he though she would be, sleeping. She was tossing and thrashing amongst the sheets, muttering something over and over to herself.

Rustan strained to hear what she was saying. He was curious as to what she was dreaming so fretfully about.

She said it again, louder this time, almost shouting it. Her words were incoherent, but Rustan was able to make something out about... silver eyes.

-_-_-_-

"I want you."

"What could you possibly want from me?" I demanded to the vampire with the gray eyes. I could feel my anger go up, and I sensed that the control the vampire had over my mind was getting weaker.

The vampire laughed. His voice was as light and carefree as air. "All in good time, darling. All in good time."

"Tell me it
now," I demanded.

He tsked at me. "Where are your manners, Chaysie? That's no way to treat a prince. But I like your personality, it's so exciting. How about I give you a hint: it has something to do with your blood. But I don't want to drink it - I have a much better purpose for you."

I frowned. "What kind of sick freak are you? A vampire that doesn't want a drink from a human - never thought I would meet one of those. And did you say prince?"

"Indeed I did," the vampire replied, ignoring the sarcasm dripping from my voice.

"Since when do vampires have a
prince?"

The man laughed again. "Darling Chaysie, you always jump to conclusions."

I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Let's just put it this way," he continued. "I'm not


-_-_-_-

My eyes snapped open, and I was abruptly woken up from my dream.

That was the second time I've dreamt about that night. It was coming in flashbacks.

My eyes widened in realization, and I bolted out of bed.

I darted out of my bedroom, but as soon as I ran through the door I stumbled right into Rustan.

"Oomph!" I grunted as I ran head-first into his chest, causing us both to topple to the ground.

Rustan immediately picked himself up, and from the guilty look on his face I could have guessed he was expecting to get yelled at by me. But I had no time to scream at him, no matter what he was doing - I had much more important things to worry about right now.

I ran downstairs and fumbled through my yet-to-be-unpacked suitcases, hastily trying to find my hunter clothes.

"What are you doing?" Rustan inquired, not in a rude way, but out of curiosity.

"I have to...I have..." I muttered, but I was panting since I was moving so fast. "...find him. He's real..."

"Who's real?" Rustan asked.

"Thez said it was a dream...But it can't be, I know it's not..."

"Chase, what the hell is going on?" Rustan demanded.

"I'm going to find him, and figure out what happened," I decided, more to myself than to him. "I can't remember what happened that night, and I need to know what happened...what he did..."

"Who, Chaysie?"

"...The one with the silver eyes."