The Most Important Rule

Chapter Seven

It was nearing dawn and I was exhausted after running around the streets of New York for the past hour. I was wandering around aimlessly, not knowing where I was going or what I was going to do exactly. When I left the house I was full of ambition to find some sort of evidence to the mysterious vampire, but now I was tired and close to giving up.

I plopped down in the middle of the sidewalk and leaned against the side of a building to catch my breath. "This is pointless," I said aloud. I wasn't talking to myself, however; I knew that Rustan was right around the corner.

He had been following me this entire time. He always remained a good distance behind me, not saying anything and keeping out of my way. He wasn't being silent out of politeness; he was just keeping an eye out for me (that was his job, after all) but he didn't want to be a part of this. He also knew I would kick his ass if he messed with me.

Rustan casually walked out of the shadows, looking bored with his hands in his pockets. "What were you planning to do when you left the house in the first place, anyway?" he asked, coming closer to me, but still retaining a safe distance for good measure.

"I don't know," I admitted. "I guess I was just looking for a hint. A clue."

"For what, exactly?"

"I don't know," I repeated. "I still don't even know for sure if this guy's real - I'm just going with my gut here. When I first saw him it wasn't even in this city, anyway."

"I don't understand why this is bothering you so much. I thought killing vampires was like a fun little pastime for you - this should be a piece of cake."

"It's because - " I started, but I hesitated. "…It's because he was so strong. He was able to use mind control on me - and that's not an easy thing, especially if it's on a person like me."

Rustan made a sound of agreement, and from the grimace on his face I could tell that he had attempted - and failed - to use mind control on me before. He understood how difficult it was.

"And the worst part is," I continued, "I can't remember anything. I don't know what was said, or what he did, or what happened. It's like I'm suffering from amnesia or something."

In other words, the vampire could have done anything to me, and I had no idea.
The repulsive thought sent shivers down my spine. The feeling of being oblivious was unnerving, and I hated it.

"Memory deletion," Rustan suddenly said, a look of comprehension coming over his face. "That's what it is. It's a nice little trick, but only powerful vampires know how to use it."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "How do you know?"

Rustan smirked. "I might be young - for an immortal, at least - but I've been a vampire long enough to know a good thing or two."

"Fair enough. So you're saying that this guy must have been ridiculously strong?"

He nodded. "Yes. Either that, or he's a…"

I waited for him to finish his sentence, but apparently he thought better of it. "Is there anything else you know about him?" he asked, changing the subject. "Anything else besides the color of his eyes?"

My shoulders sagged. "No. I didn't even see his face." I thought for a moment. "Wait!" I exclaimed, sitting up. "He did say he was a prince or something."

Rustan paled.

"Why?" I asked. "Is that bad? I didn't even think vampires even had a monarchy, or any form of government for that matter. I thought it was just a bunch of chaos."

"It is," Rustan said slowly, "unless he was being extremely arrogant, I don't know why he would call himself that. Or maybe…he's not even a vampire."

I scoffed. "What's with you people and not being vampires? First you, now this guy? Besides, he must be one. He hypnotized me. Werewolves can't do that."

Rustan grunted indifferently.

I sighed. “Fine," I said unhappily, standing up. "There's something you're not telling me, I know there is. But I'll let is slide for now."

Rustan raised an eyebrow. "Really?"

"Yeah, really. We should be going back to the house now, anyway. It's still dark enough for vampires to be roaming around."

"It's going to be morning soon, anyway," Rustan agreed. "I don't know about you, but I don't exactly feel like getting a tan."

I tilted my head to the side, confused. "I thought you were fine in the sun?"

"I am, but it hurts like hell. Have you ever had a sunburn before?" he asked. "Well, multiply that by about four hundred, and that's what it feels like."

"Alright, whatever you say," I said, shrugging. "But we should get going quick, before we run into any - "

"Immortals?" said a new voice from behind me.

Well, this is a surprise. I got snuck up on by a vampire. Again.