Status: First story so please leave me feedback

I'll Be There

Chapter Four

Today is the day, the day that can fairly be described as the closest thing to hell. Today was my date with James.

Yesterday, he had texted me when I was having lunch with Toby, Keith, and Hannah at the hospital. Keith had brought us all Taco Bell, which was mine and Toby's favorite place. We crowded around the bed and my phone was laying out next to my food when it went off. I didn't have a chance to grab it before Hannah saw James' name on the screen and opened the text. She read the text out loud, which was just him asking if we were still on for our date. If I had my phone I would have said no, after what I saw on Saturday night, but I didn't have control of my phone, Hannah did. So, of course, the reply was a cheesy one, and something I would never say, "Sure thing hottie;)".

Today, Hannah had decided she was in charge of dressing me for my date on her dinner break. Before she got to the apartment, I took the opportunity to text James and ask what the plan was tonight. Instead of a text back, I got a phone call. I didn't want to give him the false impression that I was waiting around for his phone call, so I let it ring a couple of times before answering it.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Andy, it's James." He answered.

"I know, so what's the plan for tonight?" I asked, hoping to have this conversation over with before Hannah got home.

"I was thinking dinner and maybe dessert if you're lucky," He said, insinuating that dessert was not exactly what he meant.

"Maybe if you're lucky actually," I told him, there was no way that was happening if I am sober tonight. "What time are you picking me up?"

He chuckled a little before answering my question, "I was thinking 6:30, at the hospital right?"

"Yeah, meet me in the lobby. I don't want Toby to think this is a regular thing." Just then, Hannah started to walk through the front door. "Well, gotta go. See you at 6:30, bye." I told James, and hung up before Hannah had a chance to say anything that he could hear.

Of course, the fact that I was on the phone didn't go unnoticed by Hannah, though. "Who was that?" She asked with a big smirk on her face.

"You know very well who that was. James is taking me to dinner, and he's basically rich so it will probably be someplace very expensive." I informed Hannah.

"I have just the outfit, follow me!" She said and ran off to my bedroom.

That's how we got to where we are now. Hannah has been trying to get me to wear my black lace thong that she made me buy last time we went to Victoria's Secret. It was brand new, tags and all. I have never liked thongs, preferring to wear something that actually covers me. I eventually agreed to black lace, but we had so compromise on the type of underwear, finally getting her to agree to let me wear my cheeksters.

Now we were arguing over what dress I would wear, the tight, strapless, black one that I had specifically for my nights that I actually get to go out clubbing with Hannah and the other nurses.

"I will not wear that! I refuse! I don't want to give him the idea that I'm easy and will drop my panties for any idiot with money. At least pick something with straps." I begged. Suddenly an idea came to my mind and I ran into my closet, pulling out the dress I had bought for the fancy dinner I was supposed to have with my parents when I graduated from college.

"What about this?" I asked Hannah. It was an off-white dress with two thick shoulder straps. There was a navy blue ribbon around the waist that tied into a bow at my side. There were also stripes on the knee-length skirt that are the same color at the bow. It was nice, but not extravagantly elegant. Perfectly appropriate for a fancy dinner, in my opinion.

Hannah's mouth was hanging open, "That's perfect, Andy. Where was this earlier?"

"Well, it was supposed to be for dinner with my parents, but that obviously isn't going to happen now." I told her.

"Well, it's perfect! Let's get it on you then get back to the hospital. We can work on your hair and make-up there." Hannah walked out of my bedroom so I could get changed. After I was dressed, we got into the her car and headed to the hospital.

Two hours and a few stabs in the eye with the eyeliner from Hannah, I was waiting down in the lobby for James. At 7:04, James walked through the doors in gray dress pants and a light blue dress shirt. His hair was in a messy way that, honestly, only he could pull off. He looked damn good, in my opinion, not that I would ever tell him that, that would just inflate his ego too much.

"Wow, Andy. You look amazing." James complimented me.

"Yeah, yeah, I bet you say that to every girl you try to get into bed with." I attempted to deflect the compliment.

He sighed, as if I had actually hurt his feelings saying that. "Well, let's go, yeah? Our reservations are for 7."

"Where are we going?" I asked, but all I got as a reply was "you'll see" which was honestly, very annoying.

We walked out to the parking lot and to a car that looked really familiar.

"Hey! You're the douche bag that was parked in my parking spot the day the team came to visit the hospital! You almost made me late, I had to park at the back of the lot and run. I don't run." I yelled at James. It's not really his fault but I just felt like being angry. I wanted to feel any other emotion than what I was starting to feel; desire, towards James Neal. Any type of emotion that would cause me to be interested in James in a romantic way, was not safe.

I let the whole parking spot issue go after James apologized. We got into his car and drove in near silence, besides the radio, for 20 minutes until we pulled up at Ruth's Chris. So far, the date was not going well, and hopefully that would change once we were inside and seated at our table.

We walked into the front door, James holding it open for me. James led me to the host and gave them his name for the reservation, even though they probably already knew his name.

"Right this way, Mr. Neal." The host said.

His name tag said Colin and after he led us to our table I personally thanked him, "Thank you, Colin."

James pulled out my seat for me and I thanked him. Then he sat down himself and we both picked up our menus and began to search for something to eat. The prices were not listed and that made me nervous. I didn't want to order something too expensive and seem rude, but he is the one who brought me here, and it's not like he doesn't have the extra money to spend.

We ordered and the waiter brought us a bottle of wine that James had ordered. We made polite small talk while we waited for our food. We talked about his family, and every time he tried to turn the conversation towards me and my family, I would steer the topic in another direction. Somehow he still got me to tell him about my parents, but I don't like talking about how my parents abandoned me to take care of Toby, or the fact that they haven't spoken to us in months.

Once our food was brought to us, I looked at it with wide eyes. I had ordered a fish of some sort, and it was no bigger than my iPhone, I swear. James had a steak in front of him and it wasn't much bigger than mine.

"If I had known it was going to be this small, I would have ate before you picked me up. Jeez, even Toby would eat more than this." I remarked, making James chuckle.

"Usually, the women I date will only eat that much. I usually end picking something up after I drop them off." He chuckled. Damn his voice was attractive, it's so deep but so nice.

"I might have to take you up on that offer of dessert after this. There is no way this is going to fill me up."

We both ate our food and it didn't take either of us long, considering how tiny the dishes were. James paid, left a decent tip for the waiter, and we started to leave.

"Actually, James, would you mind if I ran to the restroom real fast? I'll be right back." I told him.

"No problem, I'll go wait outside."

I went to the bathroom quickly, and went outside to meet James. As I was walking out the door, I saw James standing off to the side on the phone with someone. I could hear him begging someone named 'Pauly' to have a chocolate cake ready on the counter when we got back to James' house. I didn't want him to know I heard him so I called his name, giving him a warning that I was coming. He hung up the phone, without saying goodbye, I noticed.

"Who were you on the phone with?" I asked nonchalantly.

"Oh, no one, uh... wrong number." He lied.

"Oh, how lucky of them to dial the wrong number and have James Neal answer." I remarked, pretending like I didn't know he was lying.

"Yeah," James said, awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck. "Well, how about we go back to my house for some dessert." James said, winking suggestively. I just rolled my eyes and started to walk towards his car.

It was another 20 minute ride to James house, but this time it was silent, the car was filled with playful banter about James' choice in dinner and laughter, as both of us picked on each other. I was really starting to enjoy myself.

Once we got to James' house, he pulled into his garage and led me into his house. The garage door led straight into the kitchen where I saw the delicious looking chocolate cake that 'Pauly' made.

"Is this dessert?" I asked James as I walked to the cake, swiping my finger across the frosting, getting a big glob on my finger, then licking it off, intentionally looking James in the eye as I did so. I saw him twitch a little, then he quickly walked towards the cabinets and pulled down two plates before adjusting the front of his pants without letting me find out, but I grew up around boys and I picked up on the things they did once we got to high school and they started noticing my body when we would swim in the creek.

James served up both a slice of cake and then offered me some wine, which I declined, asking for a beer instead. We both took our cake and a beer into James' living room.

"What do you want to watch?" James asked me.

"What kind of movie do you have?"

"That wall over there is filled with movies, pick which ever one you want. DVD player is under the T.V." James said, pointing to a wall of book shelves filled with movies. I picked out Step Brothers, then sat back on the couch next to James, and ate my cake while the previews started.

Half way through the movie, I started to feel the effects of the 3 glasses of wine and 4 beers that I had drank. I let out a big yawn and started to slip towards James' shoulder. I could feel myself start to fall asleep, but before I let it consume me, I whispered, "Tell Pauly thanks for the cake." and slipped into unconsciousness.

JAMES POV

What did she just say? I looked over to ask her, but she was passed out. Does that mean she heard my conversation with Pauly? If so, how much of it did she hear? Did she hear me tell Pauly that I really liked her? If she had, was that why she was so much nicer to me? Jeez, girls are confusing.

I started to feel something wet on my leg and looked over to Andy. She had a now empty beer bottle in her hand, tipped over, spilling all over herself, and it was starting to get on me. I grabbed the bottle and set it on the coffee table.

I don't know how she will feel about me changing her clothes, but I can't let her sleep in wet clothes. I wasn't even planning on her staying the night. I know she's not like that, and I was planning on taking her home, or back to the hospital after the movie was over. But she just loves so cute when she's asleep. I don't want to wake her. I want her to stay the night. I'll just carry her to my bed and let her sleep there, this couch is not comfortable to sleep on, I have tried it.

I carefully picked her up bridal style and carried her to my room. I had to get her out of her wet dress and into something warm. The only thing I have the will fit her is one of my t-shirts. I could try to put her in my boxers but they will probably slip right off her. Either way, she needs to get out of that dress.

I tried to wake her up, nudging her in the side, but it didn't work. I whispered in her ear, but still, nothing.

Looks like I'm changing her. I started to pull her dress up over her head and got a good look at her black lace underwear. I love black lace. Why does she have to be so beautiful AND wearing my favorite thing. She is making this so hard, literally.

I finally got her changed and tucked into my bed. As I was walking out of my room to go sleep in the guestroom, Andy let out a little whine. It sounded like she said my name, so I went back to see if she was awake. Once again, she let out a whine that sounded like "Jaaames." so I answered her.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Get in bed." She said and reached forward, flipping the covers back for me to get in with her.

"Are you sure?" I asked, but she was already back asleep. I slid into the bed and starred at the ceiling.

How did I get so lucky for her to give me a chance to take her on a date? No, it didn't end the way I first thought it would, or even my second option for how the night would end. I never planned for her to stay the night and us not have sex. Usually, when a girl stays the night, we don't actually sleep. This is really a first for me, but I'm glad she is my first for this situation, in fact, I have this feeling that she should be my only for this situation. I would love to fall asleep and wake up to her. And, no, it's not the alcohol talking. I stopped drinking an hour ago so I would be safe to drive her home.

I really like her. And Toby is a cool kid, too. After she told me about how her parents abandoned her to take care of Toby while she was still going to school and working a part time job, I gained a whole new level of respect for her. The fact that she was able to juggle all of that stress for so long, is remarkable. She doesn't deserve to have that much stress. She needs me, she needs my help and I'm going to give it to her. Whether she likes it or not.

She told me that Toby gets to come home tomorrow night and he will be home from then on unless he has to go back in for treatments. She sounded really excited to have Toby home for Christmas. She even told me what she got him to replace the video game that I bought him. All he needed was ice skates, and I'll be damned if that little boy doesn't get ice skates for Christmas.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's been so long since I updated!!!! I had this chapter half written and then my computer crashed and I lost it, mentally and physically. I have been taking advantage of the 'save as draft' button, so hopefully it never happens again. I have also been planning out each chapter, so hopefully they will flow better and be more frequent. Although, I am very busy for the next two weeks, but I will do my best to write another chapter soon. I already have it half planned out. Thank you so much for reading! All of my readers are the best, even you Delaney! Thanks for your support on getting this written.