Proof

one and only.

I knew the day that she stood up for me when people were bullying me for being so short that I was going to marry her one day. They always said that she’d never fall for somebody like me; that I wasn't worthy and that she’d never want to be with somebody that wasn't home most of the year. But they were wrong, because today is our wedding day.

In a few short minutes, she’ll be walking down the aisle to become my wife. It’s hard to believe that this day has finally come.

-------


The music started up just as Haley made her way down the aisle towards me. She looked absolutely breathtaking. Her hair was put up and a beautiful lace gown was hugging her body in all the right places. As we made eye contact, I could see that she was already starting to cry and I could feel the tears pricking at my eyes. She stopped right in front of me as her father put her hand into mine and patted me on the back.

“Welcome, family, friends and loved ones. We gather here today to celebrate the wedding of Niall and Haley. You have come here to share in this formal commitment they make to one another, to offer your love and support in this union, and to allow Niall and Haley to start their married life together surrounded by the people dearest and most important to them. So welcome to one and all, who have traveled from near and far. Niall and Haley thank you for your presence here today, and now ask for your blessing, encouragement, and lifelong support, for their decision to be married.” The officiant smiled, then continued. “Marriage is perhaps the greatest and most challenging adventure of human relationships. No ceremony can create your marriage; only you can do that, through love and patience; through talking and listening, helping and supporting and believing in each other; through tenderness and laughter; through learning to forgive, learning to appreciate your differences, and by learning to make the important things matter, and to let go of the rest. What this ceremony can do is to witness and affirm the choice you make to stand together as life-mates and partners. Now, I ask you to take each others hands.”

I grabbed Haley’s hands and rubbed where her wedding ring would be later in the day, shooting a goofy grin her way. She giggled and shook her head, smiling back at me.

“Will you, Niall, take this woman to be your wedded wife?”

“I will.”

“Will you, Haley, take this man to be your wedded husband?”

“I will.” She answered, squeezing my hand in confirmation.

“We've come to the point of your ceremony where you’re going to say your vows to one another. But before you do that, I ask you to remember that love - which is rooted in faith, trust, and acceptance - will be the foundation of an abiding and deepening relationship. No other ties are more tender, no other vows more sacred than those you now assume. If you are able to keep the vows you take here today, not because of any religious or civic law, but out of a desire to love and be loved by another person fully, without limitation, then your life will have joy and the home you establish will be a place in which you both will find the direction of your growth, your freedom, and your responsibility. Please now read the vows you have written for each other.”

“I, Niall, take you, Haley, to be my wife, in equal love, as a mirror for my true Self, as a partner on my path, to honor and to cherish in sorrow and in joy, till death do us part. I am proud to take you as my wife. Marriage is more than finding the right person. It is being the right person. You help me to be the best version of myself. You’re such a free spirit. You let me do what I love to do, even though I’m not at home with you as much as we’d both like. You’re not afraid of what everybody has to say about you. You’re unapologetically yourself and that’s what I love about you. I vow to trust and value your opinions, and stand by your actions. I pledge to always treat you as my best friend and equal. I will ask for help when I need it, and offer help to you always. Let us be friends and lovers, and grow old disgracefully together.”

“I, Haley, take you, Niall, to be my husband, in equal love, as a mirror for my true Self, as a partner on my path, to honor and to cherish in sorrow and in joy, till death do us part. I am proud to take you as my husband. I remember the day that we first met. I had moved from London to this little town in Ireland called Mullingar, because my father got transferred to a job there. I was the new girl and you walked right up to me with a goofy grin on your face and said ‘Hi, I’m Niall! What’s your name?’. I never made friends easily, but you made me feel so welcome. Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you, I had no control over. I love you for all that you are, all that you have been, and all that you’re yet to be. You will have my whole heart, for my whole life.”

Haley sniffled and blushed as she finished saying her vows to me. Tears were finally slipping down my face, as I looked at my bride in awe.

“May I have the rings, please?” The officiant asked, smiling at Harry, my best man. Harry clumsily handed them over, chuckling nervously. “Please repeat after me. I give you this ring, as a daily reminder of my love for you.”

As we each slid the rings onto each others fingers, we repeated the phrase.

“By the power of your love and commitment, and the power vested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss your bride.”
♠ ♠ ♠
what Haley wore: click
where they got married: Ashford Castle in Ireland

Happy birthday, Haley! You're birthday isn't until tomorrow (the 18th), but I thought I'd put it up early! I hope you enjoy this!

-Emmah