Status: Work in progress

Sweet Tea and Southern Charm

The Day In the Life of Savannah Ward

Savannah cursed under her breath as she hurried down the busy sidewalk toward the small coffee shop that she frequented. She wasn’t exactly late but the twenty- four year old liked to be earlier than this. She had a lot to do that day, and being tardy wouldn’t help out any. But first, coffee.

She stepped in the unusually quiet cafe and headed toward the counter. Before she even had the chance to place her usual order, a steaming cup was placed in front of her. She couldn’t help but smile as she handed the barista the correct amount of money for the rather large caramel latte. “Ahh Brian, you know me well. And you’re a lifesaver! I’m running so behind this morning.” She shook her head, taking a small sip of the caffeine. “How are you?”

“Doing fine, Savannah, though I was getting bit worried. It’s not like you to be so late, did you hit the snooze button one too many times?”

Savannah shook her head. “No, it’s more like I forgot to set one all together. I was so tired last night that I must have fallen asleep before I had the chance.” She chuckled a bit, offering Brian a small smile. “Anyway, I’d better get going before I’m even more late than I already am. See you tomorrow.” With that, she turned and headed toward the door. If she left now she’d have time to finish her commute at a more leisurely pace. It wouldn’t do the sprain her ankle on opening day.

Savannah had been working as a makeup artist at Dock Street Theatre in Charleston, South Carolina. Well, officially two years. She had interned at the theatre ever since she began cosmetology school. She had always held an interest in the fine arts, and she enjoyed turning an actor into the character they portrayed. Once she received her license, she was hired on at the theatre as one of the three makeup artists. She also worked in costuming, and occasionally in set decor.

It was around 9:54 am that Savannah arrived at the theatre, which seemed to still be rather empty. She smiled as she stepped in, taking in the welcoming smells of the old building. All was silent, except for the gentle hum of the sound system, indicating that her friend and favorite techie, Izzy was there. Savannah headed toward the black box to say hello, knowing she’d have a little while yet before any of the actors would be arriving.

“Well you’re certainly late.” Izzy noted as Savannah approached the black box.

“And you’re early…You didn’t need to be in for hours yet. I’m surprised you’re giving up precious sleep.”

Izzy’s eyes widened. “Oh no…Marilyn didn’t tell you?” She asked.

“Tell me what?” Savannah felt a slight pang of panic. “What didn’t she tell me? Did they change show time? Oh God, are all the actors here? I’d better get to work…”

“Calm down, Vannah! No, show time is still 7:30 pm. But apparently we have some sort of big shot coming to the show tonight. Not sure why, though Marilyn was adamant that everything go off without a hitch. On opening night of all nights…” Izzy rolled her eyes. “Now all we need is someone to say Mac…”

“Don’t you dare!” Savannah exclaimed. “And she shared this info with the cast? Oh Lord, I hope not It’ll affect their acting. Though I am curious as to who it could be. Are they here coming for actors or musicians, or…”

“Or they might be coming to observe your mad makeup skills?” Izzy interjected as she began messing with a few switches on the sound board.

Savannah scoffed, taking a sip of her coffee. “Yeah, and I’m a monkey’s uncle. Speaking of makeup, I should get to the dressing room and make sure everything is ready for tonight. If I don’t see you before curtain, break a leg.”

“You too!””Izzy called as Savannah hurried toward the side entrance to the backstage area. Surprisingly, she found that she was only one there, which she didn’t seem to mind in the least. She actually preferred the moments that she could be alone in the old building. Well, alone with her thoughts, at least. Dock Street Theatre was Savannah’s sanctuary, and she seemed to feel more at home there than she did in her own flat. And that was saying something. In fact, one of the reasons she would arrive early or stay late was just to spend time there on her own. He muse seemed to come alive when she was there, and she wouldn’t trade that feeling for anything in the world.

Savannah set her purse down on the small couch that was placed in the corner of her station before setting about the task of getting her brushes and supplies ready for the first makeup job of the day. Savannah had a specific system when it came to organizing her supplies, and the others knew it was wise not to touch them. Of course, she wasn’t a particularly mean woman. No, she was actually quite soft spoken and generally easy to get along with, but she wasn’t afraid to make it known if something was bothering her.

“Well, I suppose that’s it.” Savannah muttered after she double checked that everything was in its proper place. All that was left now was to wait for the cast of Hairspray to show up, which should be soon.

The sounds in the distance indicated her that stage craft and prop crew had already arrived, and it was now pushing 11:00 am. With a 7:00 pm curtain, there would be at least one dress rehearsal and tech warm up, which didn’t sound like a lot, but with only eight hours to go, there would be no doubt that everyone would be running around like chickens with their heads cut off before it was all over.

“Especially with the mystery guest tonight..” She thought as she heard the sound of rubber squeaking on the floor. Savannah glanced up from her tablet to see one of the lead female actors in the show, Lyndsey

“I am so sorry I’m late. Traffic was awful and…”

Savannah held up her hand, laughing a bit. “No worries, just sit. We have plenty of time.” She grabbed a clean wig cap and fit it over Lyndsey’s head, making sure to tuck every strand in the cap before she grabbed a small bottle of face primer. “Are you ready for tonight?” She questioned as she began to apply the liquid evenly on the actor’s face.

“Yes…Well, I think so. I didn’t sleep a wink last night. I couldn’t stop singing and running my lines. Then I played every worst case scenario that could possibly happen over and over in my mind.” Lyndsey closed her eyes and took a deep breath. “And then Marilyn told us about that actor coming tonight. What on earth was she thinking? It’s going to be a mess I can just feel it.”

“So it is an actor, then? Did she mention who?” Savannah questioned. She selected the correct shade of concealer and foundation and began to finish the base of Lyndsey’s makeup. She was rather curious as to who the guest could be, however. “I mean, I know Marilyn has connections, but was she talking Broadway, Hollywood? Perhaps another theatre company?”

“I have no clue, but it’s nerve wracking to say the least. But what about you? Are you ready for tonight?”

Savannah shrugged. “I suppose. I don’t have anything to be nervous about. And I have everything ready. It should go off without a hitch, knock on wood. Tilt please.” Savannah began to process of applying the correct amount of a base shadow to Lyndsey’s eyelids. “Just remember to breath, and have fun. You know how bright those lights are! I doubt you’ll be able to see any of the audience, anyway.”

“I suppose you’re right.” Lyndsey replied.

She kept her eyes closed as Savannah continued to layer on and blend the different colors of shadow, slowly transforming her into Amber Von Tussle. Once her makeup was finished and her wig was secured and pinned on her head, Lyndsey was shuffled to costuming and Savannah began on another actor. It would be four hours before she would finish her portion of the cast. It was a tedious job, but Savannah couldn't imagine doing anything else.
♠ ♠ ♠
Disclaimer: I do not own Robert Downey Jr. Savannah Ward and any other character that does not seem familiar is mine. Thank you for reading! Feed back is appreciated. :)