Status: Work in progress

Sweet Tea and Southern Charm

It's Showtime!

“Showtime in 45 minutes, people! I need everyone available to circle in 20!”

Izzy rolled her eyes from her spot on the couch. “I don't understand the point of circle up for the entire cast ans crew. It seems silly to me.”

Savannah chuckled, teasing Lyndsey's wig once more before showtime. “That's just your opinion, Izz. I think it's pretty important.” She sprayed an even coat of hairspray to set the style. “All set!”

Lyndsey thanked Savannah before hurrying out the door, no doubt headed to costuming. Savannah took this as a chance to take a seat for a moment or two before the rush of the show began. “Oh, I am so ready to get home and go to bed. This day has gone on far too long.”

“You mean you're not going to the cast party?” Izzy asked, sarcasm dripping from every word.

“Do I ever?”

“You have a point. I don't understand why, though. Especially with Robert here.”

“It's Bob, and I'm no sure how that would make a difference.:

“Oh, I don't know...” Izzy smirked. “Hey, nice flowers! Those weren't in here yesterday.”

“No, they weren't.” Savannah confirmed, “And your point is?” Did Izzy know? Was she suspicious? They were only 'thank you' flowers.

“Well, someone had to have given them to you!” Izzy exclaimed. She seemed to be getting exasperated.

“No, really? Perhaps they appeared out of thin air.” Savannah rolled her eyes.

“It was a gift for helping someone out, no big deal.”

“And who would that be?” Izzy pressed. She wasn't going to let this go without a fight.

“Hmmm, wouldn't you like to know?” Savannah smirked. She took a sip of her water bottle and sighed. “Why do you care so much, anyway?”

Izzy shrugged. “I don't know...I saw you and Bob coming back earlier. Did you go out?”

Savannah roller her eyes once more. “We went to get some Panera. What's the issue?”

“There isn't an issue. I'm just curious. This isn't really like you, you know.” Izzy noted. “I mean, you did only just meet him yesterday.” Izzy picked at a hole in her jeans.

Savannah raised a brow. “I don't think I understand. What exactly are you insinuating, Izz? That I have a thing for him?”

“Maybe? He isn't bad looking, you know. But after only knowing the man for 24 hours, it's not like you to go on a date with him.”

Savannah couldn't believe what she was hearing. A date? Sandwiches and iced sweet tea, and she called it a date? “It was lunch, Isabella, lunch! We were both hungry and had nothing to do,s o we went to Panera for lunch. Nothing different than going with you, or Marilyn. Besides, I...” She stopped mid sentence, hearing the call for circle up. “Come on,Izzy. Duty calls.”

Savannah stood from her seat and headed out the door with Izzy following suit. It didn't take long to reach the others, who seemed to have already gotten in position. Only a couple were still missing, including the new director. Savannah took her place between Lyndsey and Tom, one of the set workers. She crossed her right arm over her left and took the hand of the person on either side. This was a traditional pre-show ritual for most of the shows she had worked in. Typically, this was the time that Marilyn encouraged the cast, gave notes on where to improve, and complimented on what was perfect. It was not only beneficial to the cast, but to the crew as well. Though some didn't seem to think so.

“Excuse me, so sorry. Am I late for this thing?”

Savannah felt her hand being pulled from Tom's, quickly finding it replaced by a slightly larger hand. She glanced to her left to see a grinning Bob, still pushing himself into the circle. She rolled her eyes, making more room for the tardy director. Obviously, he'd ignored the theatre code of behavior and conduct...Or he just didn't care.

Circle went on as usual,well, aside from the faces Izzy was pulling. They did notes, a few voice warm ups, and random character exercises, finally breaking the circle with a spin.

Savannah wished everyone 'break a leg' and hurried to her station to fix last minute problems. No matter how well she did the makeup or fixed the hair, there was always touch ups to be done. With only 10 minutes until showtime, she had her work cut out for her.

Thankfully, she only found two people at her station when she arrived. She quickly fixed their problems and sent them on their way with a few moments to spare. Though, it really wouldn't be a normal show if she wasn't rushing to perfect her makeup.

“So, your work is kind of amazing. Just letting you know.”

Savannah glanced up from her task of putting the makeup away to see Bob leaning against the door. She shook her head,laughing a bit. “Well, I wouldn't call it amazing, but thank you.” She continued to put away her supplies.

“No, I mean it. You've absolutely transformed these people.” He stepped into the room and plopped down on the couch. “So, what do you do during showtime? Do you ever watch?”

Savannah shrugged. “Sometimes, but not often. I have to touch up hair, and sometimes makeup, so it's best to stay back here. And what about you? Where are you supposed to be?”

Bob shrugged. “Ya know, around.” He smirked. “Actually, I have no idea. Its a sold out house tonight, so I can't really watch form the auditorium...Ever watched from the cat walk?”

“No! Nor will I ever! I'm not authorized to be up there. Besides, it's awfully high.”

Bob raised a brow. “Geeze, Savannah, you work in a theatre, not a government landmark. You're on the payroll, I'm sure you're allowed up there.”

“Maybe, maybe not. Fact of the matter is, I'm not going up there.” Savannah had put her foot down, it seemed.

“Maybe not today, but you will someday.” Bob grinned. “So they're talking about a cast party after the show tonight...I assume you will be there?”

Savannah shook her head. “I'm afraid not, I'm not really interested in parties, Bob.”

“I don't believe that for a second. What's the story?” He crossed his arms.
“Well? I'm waiting.”

“I don't know what you're talking about.. There doesn't have to be a story, you know. Maybe I just like to sleep.”

“Mhmm...There's a story.” He leaned his head back against the couch. “I'm going, you should go.”

“Ah, I see. So, if you jumped off the pier, I should follow suit, then?” Savannah questioned. She grabbed her water and took a seat beside him.

“Only if you're a good swimmer.” He winked. He let out quiet sigh, closing his eyes. “Maybe I won't go either...Jet lag isn't as fun as I thought it'd be.”

“I'd imagine it'll take some getting used to. Where are you from? If you don't
mind me asking.”

“California...” He replied, somewhat elusively. “The coastal area.”

“Well, that really narrows it down. Though, I can understand the jet lag. Do you enjoy the west coast?”

“What more information do you need?” He smirked. “And yes, I do enjoy it. I just needed a change of scenery, though. Just needed to switch things up.”

“So you chose South Carolina? That's quite a change if you ask me.”

Bob shrugged. I had connections. Marilyn needed help, and like I said, I needed a change. South Carolina seemed like my golden ticket. Besides, you have nicer beaches.”

Savannah sighed. “Yeah, I wasn't lying when I said I haven't been very much. If I'm not here, I'm usually at home and vice versa.”

“We're seriously going to have to fix that, you know. How can you live this close and not go to the beach? Maybe you should take a break. Starting tonight, you're going to the party with me. “He wore a smirk on his face. As he fiddled with a loose sting on his jacket.

Savannah quickly stood from the couch and made her way to the vanity, organizing her makup for the 1,000th time that day. “No, I'm not.” She insisted.

“Then what about dinner?”

Savannah froze. Dinner? Why did he insist on spending so much time with her? He'd been in town less than 48 hours, didn't he have things he needed to do? Like get his apartment together, or find one? “Bob, not to..”

“Just pizza and wine...Nothing fancy, just dinner. We could even order here if you'd like. I've never cared for eating alone.”

Savannah sighed. She felt horrible for turning him down, but she needed sleep, desperately. She was running on fumes at the moment, and another night with little sleep might result in sloppy work. She couldn't afford that... “I would love to, but I really need some sleep. But, I'll make you a deal. The show doesn't run on Sunday and Monday, I'll be happy to have dinner with you tomorrow night.”

Bob smiled. “I suppose that'll have to do. But hey, you're the local. Why don't you decide where we go? I'm tired of pizza, to be honest.

Savannah chuckled. “That's theatre life, I'm afraid. We live on pizza and caffeine for days on end until we crash.” She walked back over to the couch ans took a seat. She pulled her phone out and checked the time. It was already fifteen minutes into the show.

“Oh wow, does time really go by this slowly when you're back here? I could have sworn it was almost time for intermission! You see, this is why I prefer film.”

Savannah raised a brow. “You've worked in film?” She questioned.

Bob seemed to hesitate before he answered. He pushed his glasses up on his nose, somewhat nervously and cleared his throat. “Yeah, a bit. Directing and such. I'm taking a break for a while, though.” The tone in his voice indicated that he wished to drop the subject. But what really puzzled Savannah was the look on his face. It was somewhere between a mixture of anxiety and...was that guilt?

“Nice...” She replied. If he wished to drop the subject, she would do so. It wasn't like it was her business anyway.

The show continued on as usual, with lots of touch ups during intermission. The worst of the damage was a slipping wig on “Penny” that didn't want to stay in place. But Savannah fixed it and the show went on without a hitch. Soon, the curtains were drawn, bows were taken, and the show was finally over for the night, much to Savannah's relief. Overall, it had been a hectic, but successful day.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so sorry it took awhile to get this out. Life has been crazy busy. Thank you to those who have favored and subscribed! I will definitely be working on a new chapter in the next couple of weeks! :) -Bee