Hannah's Puzzle

Hannah Andrews

Raising Hannah was not originally in the plan of Kristine and Tobias Andrews. They were an older couple in their late forties who had already raised two sons. Hannah's father, Robert, was one of them. When he was only 23, he graduated as a doctor of Internal Medicine. At the age of 24, Robert married Emily, who was also a doctor. They were gifted individuals who dedicated their lives to the World Health Organization (WHO), taking care of men, women, and children in other countries who would otherwise perish without them. Robert and Emily, Hannah's parents, wanted a family, and they wanted to take some time off work to have the chance. Their daughter was born, but not even three years later, their job with the WHO was in desperate need of their continued service.
Robert called upon his parents, Tobias and Kristine. He had discussed the plan before, but never in great detail. Robert’s parents knew that helping Robert and Emily raise Hannah might occur someday. It was always in their train of thought. It was no surprise when Robert and Emily entered the house on Walnut Boulevard in Walnut Creek, California. Robert spoke of Hannah's future to Tobias and Kristine while Emily held her little girl Hannah on her lap. "Mom? Dad? The WHO is wanting Emily and I to return to work. They are offering us both executive positions as Medical Doctors. It's just that we're unsure whether or not to take it. We wanted to at least see Hannah through to the beginning of grade school."
Toby knew his son's apparent grief at the prospect of having to choose. He reassured Robert, "Bobby, your mother and I have already agreed to take Hannah when the time comes. And that means anytime. We will be honored to raise Hannah now."
Robert contradicted, "Dad? We weren't going to return to work until Hannah turns five. Do you really think we should take up the offers?"
"Now don't be irrational, son. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity. Emily doesn't seem remotely as upset as you."
Emily answered in her usual polite manner, "Robert is a worry-wart, Dad. You are correct in suggesting that I am handling it better. But, I really love my Hannah-Leigh. I would give anything for her, but I know that the job offers are a one-time thing. It's our dream to help the world."
Kristine finally spoke, "Children? You have the ultimate decision when it comes to Hannah's future. I assure you two that we will make sure Hannah is well-cared for."
Toby added, "How long is the assignment?"
Robert answered his father, "Ten years starting next week."
"That's not too long, Bobby. After that, do you and Emily get to retire with full benefits and good money?"
"If it all goes accordingly, we will be millionaires."
"You have our blessing to do whatever is best."

It was decided that Robert and Emily should take up the job offers with the WHO. Toby and Kristine were given full guardianship of Hannah. Robert and Emily knew that it was the best choice for their daughter. She would spend most of her childhood in the neighborhood where her father and uncle were raised, and go to the schools they went to. The upside to this decision was that when Hannah turned thirteen, her parents would retire from their jobs and be able to continue raising her.

Tobias was an airplane mechanic full-time at an airport in San Francisco. Kristine was a kindergarten teacher full-time at a local elementary school. With this variety, Hannah was sure to be occupied with all sorts of activities. Hannah was a pleasant girl who was easy to entertain. She was also very smart. With the teaching of her grandma, she could already recognize all her colors and shapes. When she began Kindergarten in 1990, she knew how to write her name and how to read at a second grade level. Since she was so advanced, she was granted permission to go straight into the first grade at the age of five.

The first day of school was finally here, and Hannah knew it. She was up and dressed before her grandparents were even out of bed. She brushed her long brown curly hair, then had it held in place with her favorite purple headband. She was brushing her teeth when her grandma was finally out of bed. Kristine stood in the bathroom doorway watching Hannah.
“Oh, my little girl is growing up way too fast,” Kristine exclaimed. “You’re starting first grade today, then it will be college before you know it. I’m making oatmeal for breakfast. Come on downstairs to the kitchen when you’re finished.”
Hannah replied, “I’m ready now. First grade will be fun but don’t worry, Grandma. College is for grown-ups and I’m not a grown-up yet.”
Kristine laughed, “Right you are, dear. Let’s go together to the kitchen.
Downstairs, Toby (Tobias) was boiling a pot of water to prepare the oatmeal. He was about to add the oats when Kristine entered with Hannah.
Kristine noticed Toby in the kitchen and spoke first. “Good morning, Toby. I see you’re attempting to do my job.”
Toby replied in his defense, “You have enough things to do this morning without having to worry about breakfast.”
“Like what? Hannah got up and dressed herself. She combed her own hair and brushed her teeth without my assistance. Name me one thing I can do.”
“Let’s see… You can say, thank you, Toby for cooking breakfast. Then head to work for a head-start on your prep. I guess that’s two things you can do.”
“Tobias, you’re such a wise-guy,” Kristine exclaimed. “Okay, thank you, Toby, for cooking breakfast.” Kristine kissed Toby.
Toby patted Kristine on the back. “Now go on and sit at the table with Hannah. I’m making the toast now.
In five minute’s time, Toby had cooked and seasoned the oatmeal and prepared the toast. He even had coffee and tea ready for them to enjoy. The family enjoyed a nice breakfast and continued their morning as planned.
Kristine left for work, and then at 7:45, Toby took Hannah to school. He met Mrs. Marion Grey and checked Hannah into class. He hugged his granddaughter, wishing her good luck on her first day, and he left to head to his own job.
Just as Toby was about to leave the school, he looked back for a moment. He was expecting to see Hannah, but instead he noticed a young woman walking a little boy to class. Toby thought he had seen the woman before. She looked strangely familiar. He would have turned around to get her name, but he had to be at the San Francisco airport by 9:00 AM for his shift. He put his thoughts behind him and went about his busy day.

Hannah sat at her desk looking at a literature book. Off at another table, the little boy that Toby saw was sorting his school supplies inside his pencil box. The boy stopped often to look over at Hannah. He stared at her, rather. Hannah was curious of the reason he was staring. What was he thinking? She had never been stared before; especially by a boy. Hannah wanted to call his attention to his annoying behavior, but she was too polite to say anything to him. Mrs. Grey called all of the students to sit in a circle on a rug so she could begin class with an interactive roll call. She had each child say their name and their favorite subject. To name a few, a boy named William said his favorite subject was math, a girl named Sophia said hers was reading, and another boy named Brandon jokingly said he liked recess. When it was Hannah’s turn, she introduced herself and said that her favorite subject was music. Then it was the turn of the boy that was staring at her. His name was Peter Rogue, and his favorite subject was writing.
At recess, Hannah sat under a tree quietly looking around the school yard. For some strange reason, Peter was under another tree, periodically looking at Hannah. Hannah finally decided that enough was enough. She had to find out why this boy was staring at her as if she were a treasure. She stood up and went over to where Peter was sitting. “Excuse me, Peter… Why do you keep staring at me?”
Peter was embarrassed. He answered shyly, “Uh… I didn’t mean to. It’s just that you look like someone.”
“Who do I look like?” Hannah asked.
“You’re gonna laugh at me,” Peter frowned
“No I will not. Tell me.”
“Fine…You look like my mom.”
“I look like your mom? That’s odd. Why do you say that?” Hannah was now curious.
“You have her eyes. And you have her reddish brown curly hair, too.”
“Lots of people have the same eyes and hair as me. Why is that so important?”
“It’s that I’ve never seen anyone who looks exactly like my mom. It’s your eyes. They’re light brown with green swirls in them. My mom’s eyes are identical. And, your face has light freckles just like my mom.”
“You’re weird, Peter,” Hannah laughed.
“What are you laughing about?” Peter inquired.
“It’s just a thought. I look like your mom, right?”
“Yes, but…”
“You look like my uncle Michael.”
“Wow, Hannah. That’s funny. My mom said she wanted to name me Michael, but for some reason she didn’t.”
“Why didn’t she?”
“She didn’t tell me why.”

Recess was soon over, and Mrs. Grey came out to gather her students. They were instructed to sit on the circle carpet for story time. After story time, it was time for reading. Each student was given a sentence to read out loud to the class. Mrs. Grey was able to observe the level of each student as they each took their turn. She wrote some notes. Soon enough, it was time to go home. All the students formed a line at the classroom door. Mrs. Grey led her class outside to the front of the school where the parents were waiting. Hannah saw her grandpa Toby and greeted him with a hug. Over by Hannah’s friend Peter, a woman with long curly reddish brown hair stood. Peter soon pointed in the direction of Hannah.
At that precise moment, Toby looked at Peter and his mother. He then turned to Hannah. “Hannah, is that your new friend?”
Hannah smiled, “Yes, Grandpa. His name is Peter. He’s in my class.”
“That young woman next to him must be his mother. I think I’ve seen her before.”
“She was here this morning.”
“I know that, Hannie. But, I’ve seen her sometime long ago. I just can’t remember when. Well, I better acquaint myself to Peter’s mother before she thinks I’m stalking her.”
Toby approached Peter’s mother and began a conversation. “Hello, Miss. My Name is Tobias Andrews. My granddaughter Hannah here is in your son Peter’s class. I just wanted to introduce myself to you, seeing that Peter and Hannah seem to get along.”
The woman smiled, “Hello, Tobias. It’s a pleasure meeting you. My name is Katherine Bettencourt, but I go by my nickname Kat.”
Toby smiled back, “Okay, Kat. If that’s the case, you may call me by my nickname Toby.
“Toby suits you. You seem like a nice gentleman. It’s kind of odd though. I mean, you speaking to me. It’s like I’ve met you before.”
“I know exactly what you mean. I feel the same way, but don’t take it wrong. I’m not trying to flirt. I’ve been happily married for thirty-one years this June.”
Kat laughed, “You silly man, I wasn’t even thinking that. Come to think of you being married for thirty-one years, you’ve been married just as long as I’ve existed. Maybe it has been a little longer. I will be turning thirty in May.”
“That’s remarkable, Kat, considering you don’t look a day over twenty-one.”
“Now you’re flirting.”
“No, only flattering,” Toby laughed at his own joke. “Now, why would I even consider flirting with a gal that is young enough to be my daughter? My eldest son is one year older than you.”
Kat redirected the subject as she checked her watch, “I must say, Toby, that you are great company. It was again a pleasure meeting you, but Peter and I need to be heading for home now. Sorry to cut it short.”
“No prob. Take care, Kat.”