Collide With This Guy

Chapter 14

I didn’t really know if Kellin was sleeping over or not, but he never said anything about going home. We were lying on my bed, still laughing together and coming up with lyrics for our song. Most of it was just silly stuff we wrote down just for fun, but every so often we would have a serious line.

“This is fun,” Kellin said, suddenly snuggling against my shoulder as he watched me write down the last sentence. If I had it my way, we’d be here trying to play it and stuff, too, but my mom already had to come in twice to tell us to be quiet.

“It is,” I confirmed. “Hey, that reminds me, have you thought of the talent show thing anymore?”

“Um, I haven’t really had the chance,” he shrugged. I set the note book aside and rolled over so that I was facing him. I reached over and lightly brushed his hair away from his face so I could see his pretty eyes.

“I think we should,” I said, quietly. I watched him scrunch up his nose a bit, like he didn’t like that idea. Then he suddenly relaxed.

“If we do, it has to be the other song though,” he said, in an almost warning tone. I thought this one would have been more fun once we worked on it more, but whatever. As long as he was agreeing to perform with me, I was totally okay with it. “Because my mom will most likely come and this song is too angry and has swearing in it.”

“Okay, that’s fine,” I laughed, moving myself closer to him. “Well then … maybe we can keep the other song acoustic and have Mike’s friend help us do more with the one we just wrote … for fun, you know?”

“Yeah,” he sighed. He yawned and reached his arms around my neck. I smiled against him and lightly kissed his neck. “I’m tired.”

“Yeah?” I asked and he nodded.

“Can I borrow pajamas?” he asked. I said he could and quickly kissed his forehead before breaking from our embrace and going over to my dresser. I pulled out a t-shirt and a pair of sleep pants and tossed them to him.

“Thanks,” he said, sitting up. He glanced from the clothes in his lap and then back up at me. He blushed. “Um, I guess I can go in the bathroom and change or-“

“Oh, uh, you can stay here,” I said, realizing that he was nervous about changing in front of me. To be completely honest, I wanted to see him undress- I mean, of course I did. However I didn’t want him to be uncomfortable. “I’ll be right back, I’m gonna go downstairs and get something to drink.”

He nodded and I left the room. I went down the hallway, but stopped when I got to the top of the stairs because I heard voices coming from the kitchen down below. I slowly sat down on the top step, listening. I could make out the voices, and knew that the first two belonged to each of my parents, and that the other one belonged to Mrs. Quinn.

“I’m so sorry about Kellin, I hope he’s not bothering you guys by being here,” I heard her say to my parents.

“Oh, it’s not a problem, the boys all get along great,” my dad assured her. “He’s welcome to stay the night or come over any time he wants.”

“That’s not a very structured way of- never mind, I’m too tired to argue anymore,” she sighed, sounding a little sad. “Please make sure he comes home in the morning before school though? I don’t want him thinking this is going to become a new thing, getting to stay at a friend’s house on a school night.”

“Don’t worry about it,” my dad assured her.

“We’ll make sure he’s up on time and everything,” my mom added. I heard Mrs. Quinn thank them weakly before leaving. I waited until I heard the door open and close again before going downstairs and meeting my parents in the kitchen.

“Vic,” My mom said as I appeared in front of them. “Were you eavesdropping?”

I shrugged. “Maybe. I don’t understand what her deal is.” I said, frustrated, as I went to the refrigerator and pulled out a carton of orange juice.

“That’s her own parenting style, and you can’t judge other people for what they think is right,” my mom scolded. I shrugged again.

“Where’s Kellin?” my dad wanted to know.

“He’s in my room,” I said. “I let him borrow some pajamas so he’s changing.”

“Is he alright? His mom told me what happened, and wanted to bring him home, but we told her it was best that he just stay with us tonight,” my mom said. She actually sounded genuinely concerned for his well-being.

“He was upset earlier, but I think he’s feeling a little better now,” I explained. She seemed fine with that answer, and with that my parents told me that they were going to turn in for the night. I finished my juice and did the same, going back upstairs to meet Kellin.

“You decent?” I called through the door after knocking on it. After he said that he was, I opened the door then shut and locked it behind me as I entered. He was sitting on my bed, wearing my clothes with the covers pushed back.

“Hey you,” I said, grinning as I crawled into bed next to him. I had already been in my bed clothes for a while, so there was no opportunity for me to try and change in front of him. Oh well.

“Th-this is okay, right?” he asked, as I pulled the covers up over us.

“Is what okay?” I asked, pulling him closer to me.

“Um … me sleeping in your bed. I know I did last time, but that was because-“

I cut him off by pressing my lips against his. He seemed surprised at first, but then slowly melted into the kiss, softly moving his lips against mine. We kissed like that for a while, but it didn’t feel like heavy making out or anything. It was just a simple, sweet kiss, and I loved every second of it.

“I’m guessing it’s okay then?” he whispered. I smiled back at him.

“Yeah, of course,” I told him. I held him against me as he settled in, getting ready for sleep. HE must have been really tired, because before I knew it, he was out completely.

—-

The next morning, I woke up earlier than normal so that Kellin would have time to re-dress and go home before school. I kissed him goodbye in my room before sending him off and telling him I’d see him at school.

After that, I just got ready for my day as I normally would, putting on my clothes and making sure all of my school stuff was together like it needed to be. Then, I was downstairs, grabbing something quick for breakfast before calling for Mike to hurry up so that we could leave.

“Yeah, I’m ready, let’s go,” He said, following me out the door. I got in on my side, and started backing out of the driveway. Mike was pretty quiet- quieter than usual actually.

“Why so quiet?” I asked him. He looked back behind us then back at me, as if he was waiting for me to drive a certain distance before saying something.

“You’re dating Kellin, aren’t you?” he asked, causing me to slam on the brakes. Mike looked a little startled and I apologized before continuing on my way,

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I said, trying to brush it off. It was pretty weak, though.

“Dude, I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with that, it’s just … I know you. I see the way you look at Kellin, you’re always checking him out. And then Kellin follows you around like a little puppy dog, it’s fucking cute, man,” he went on to say. Damn, there was no keeping secrets from Mike, at least not on my end. Either way, he was my brother and I trusted him.

“You better not fucking tell anyone,” I warned, trying to sound as merciless as I could.

“I won’t, I won’t – so does that mean you are? Man, that’s cool,” he said, nodding. “I’m glad.”

“Really, why?”

“Because ever since you started hanging out with him, the happier you’ve been,” he shrugged. “I like you so much better when you’re happy.”

I didn’t really know what to say to that, so I just kept driving as this big stupid smile spread across my face. Once I thought about it, I knew that Mike was right. Kellin did make me happy. Whenever we hung out, I was automatically in a better mood. It was just something about the way he carried himself, the way he was always happy to see me. It just made me happy, too.