Status: In progress ( slowly at times I'm sorry)

Lord Have Murphy

The after math.

Nicky understood now that after her father was killed, going completely off the grid and not showing up for school was probably a bad idea. The news was spinning stories like webs about her having been kidnapped or murdered. She sat now with her head in her hands as Connor poured her some orange juice with a cocky smirk
.
“How’s it feel, bein’ our first live captive?”

“Shut up Connor, I’m trying to think.” Nicky had to come up with some plan to keep the cops from looking for her without having to go back to the life she left behind just yesterday. Murphy who had gone off to fetch cigarettes reentered the room now with a smile. A voice on the TV demanded Nickies full attention causing her to ignore Murphy’s return entirely, much to his dismay.

[i*]“Nicky is like blood to me. I’ve been around her growing up since she was only 6. Her father and I were like brothers. I will find her and tear apart whoever had the nerve to take her.”[/i*]

“Oh great!” Nicky sighed in exasperation. Her father’s right hand man had always been a little creepy, a little too attached. Now it seemed he was gunning for her father’s job and was going to be hunting down the boys to prove his place.

“Who’s that feller?” Murphy asked while lowering himself down onto the beat up sofa that doubled as Nicky’s bed.

“He’s a friend of my dad’s unfortunately.” Nicky slumped backwards allowing her arms to flop freely beside her. Connor chimed in now as he served eggs out of a George Forman grill.

“Well it seems to me there’s only one way to solve this little problem then isn’t there?” Murphy smirked as he lifted his blue plastic cup to drink. Immediately, as the orange juice touched his lips, Murphy spit the orange juice violently all over the coffee table.

“WHAT!? What’s the problem Murph?” Connor sounded exasperated since he had been working on their makeshift breakfast all morning. He had his hands up in an expression of helplessness with a spatula pointing towards the ceiling. He looked like the most pissed off and deadly house wife in history.

“There’s no vodka in this!” Murphy answered as he added some to his cup.

“Ah! Now I see!” Connor laughed wagging his finger at Murphy as he motioned for him to add some to his own drink as well.

“Wait, back track you alcoholics. What’s the one solution you mentioned?” Murphy and Connor look at each other and then back at her before saying at the same time

“Well isn’t it obvious?” Nicky was confused for a moment but the second she realized what they were getting at a wide smile spread over her face. Kill them. Kill them all. Nicky quickly pushed off her knees and stood.

“Alright let’s go!”

“What? Before church? Never. Besides you sit that little princess ass down and enjoy the breakfast I made you!” Connor scolded her like a mother.

“Such enthusiasm! I Love it” Murphy laughed with a mouth full of dry burnt toast.
Nicky looked back to the Tv as she recommenced eating her bland breakfast.

“It has been confirmed that the blood on the floor near the victim was indeed that of his daughter Nichole. The police are moving forward under the assumption that she is still alive until further evidence that states otherwise is found. The Boston P.D would like to encourage anyone with any information to come forward immediately to aid them in their efforts to find the missing girl.”

The church beneath the loft that housed the boys was more than beautiful. The ceilings were high with ornate arches and beams. The walls were lined with stained glass windows each depicting the face of a different saint. It was rather dark inside the church, the only light to see by was the minimalistic chandeliers of candles and the multicolored emanations of the windows. The pews were lined with red velvet and the organ was fit for the phantom himself. The chorus sang while people continued to file in as the beginning of the service approached. They sounded to Nicky like a chorus of angels. Voices so eloquently harmonized the only music accompanying them was the gentle caresses of a harp. Going to church with the boys had to be one of the strangest experiences Nicky had ever had. The entire congregation and clergy had behaved as if they weren’t even there. They allowed the boys to move freely throughout the service. Connor and Murphy left the Nave where the rest of the church goers sat, walked straight down the main aisle to the Alter, and prayed directly before the large crucified, wooden, Jesus. Nicky hadn’t been expecting that and she wasn’t confident the way they were so she had stayed in her seat simply observing the boys. She saw the subtle nods of approval from the men in the presbytery. There was some strange alliance between these boys and these men of god. It was inspiring to watch. How many people here knew who The MacManus brothers were? How many of them were protecting them? Nicky was filled with a strange comfort as the service continued and the boys began to return. She suddenly had an urge she couldn’t fight. As the boys were making their way back Nicky walked out into the main aisle and began praying on her knees. What was stranger than her behavior was her prayer. She had always been taught the scripted openings and closes of prayers. This time however she didn’t pray with words. Instead she closed her eyes and felt a rush of emotions flow from her body like water out through her clasped finger tips into the air around her. It swirled amongst them all like an envelope of spiritual reverence. Before she opened her eyes a light tingling warmth had replaced all that she had just let go of and as she stood her shoulders were strong and squared. They boys reached her just as she stood and they had loving and boyish looks on their faces though they didn’t comment on her actions. Together they exited the church into the blinding light of the sun outside. As they stood for a moment the boys lit cigarettes. Nicky had never smoked before and as Murphy offered her one she looked sheepishly away.

“I don’t even know how to smoke.”

“D’ya here that brother, Las doesn’t know how to smoke!” Connors boisterous laughter was his only response and it made Nicky blush. Murphy with his cigarette pinched between his lips motioned for her to come forward. With one hand behind her head he placed a cigarette between her lips and instructed her to inhale lightly when he gave her the signal. He then retrieved his lighter and pulled her head towards his flame until the cigarette was lined up perfectly rather than let the flame go out by moving it towards her. He winked at her causing her heart to go a flutter; she almost forgot to inhale as planned. Nicky coughed heavily bending over with her hands on her knees as her lungs seized and rejected what was very clearly not oxygen.

“I said breath in lightly. S’yer own damn fault.” Murphy said laughing. Connor patted her on the back now.

“That’s right let it all out lassie” The boy’s laughter was infectious and in-between coughs Nicky found herself giggling. Nicky stood up straight again whipping her sweaty palms on her jeans and tried again to take a drag of the cigarette, this time letting the smoke cool in her mouth before inhaling it. Her exhale was a little jagged but she smiled when she knew she wasn’t about to cough her lungs out again.

“There we go! See it isn’t that hard now is it?” Murphy smiled as he began walking off in perfect stride with Connor. Nicky followed behind them excitement making her hands quiver. What were they going to do now? She briefly wondered if being out on the street was a good idea for her. Her eyes darted around for cops or for anyone who may recognize her. In the streets of Boston though her eyes met no others. Everyone kept to themselves as they walked, looking only forward or at the ground. Nicky had almost forgotten she was in an Irish neighborhood. Her worries lifted slightly, though not entirely.

The boys took her to a cellar where an Irishmen wearing a page boy’s hat that matched his vest greeted them heartily.

“What brings you boys back here?” He asked with his hands on his hips. Connor answered him.

“We need to outfit our new partner here with some of your toys.”

“This must be the girl the cops are looking for then? She’s the daughter of a mob boss. You boys just love getting in to trouble don’t ya.” The man’s eyes were full of humor as he lightly scolded the boys.

“Aye, Not particularly worried about it though.”

“I suppose you wouldn’t be. Still friends with those cops then?” The Irishmen asked Murphy raised a finger to his lips.

“What cops might you be speaking of? I’m afraid I can’t say I remember any cops.” The boys laughed and patted the man on both his shoulders knocking him a little off balance though he seemed to be unbothered by it.

“Alright, alright. Go play with all the new toys, comeback when ya found somethin’ ya like.”

The boys excitedly hopped over to a caged room as the lights went on. It appeared to be some sort of armory as all the walls were lined with weapons of every kind. Connor was looking through the scope of a high powered automatic weapon and Murphy was lightly tossing a grenade between his hands. Nicky however was drawn immediately to a different weapon. She laid her hands lightly on a high powered cross bow. Picking it up she felt it’s incredibly weight it must weigh 50lbs or more she thought as she tried feebly to lift and aim it. Connor saw her out of the corner of his eye and slapped Murphy on the back to get his attention. He pointed a finger towards Nicky and with a laugh said

“Look at robin hood over there!” Murphy and Connor rounded a large gun on a tripod and headed towards Nicky.

“what ya think yar gonna do with that! Shoot some love arrows at em?”

“Cupid wasn’t nearly this badass” Nicky countered attempting to point the crossbow directly at Connor who put his hands up in mock surrender.

“Aye, maybe not but at least that chubby baby could lift his bow to aim it!” Murphy and Connor burst out laughing as Murphy lifted her cross bows tip so that it was properly aimed at Connor using only two finger tips.

“Alright I get it!” Nicky said placing the crossbow gently back where she had found it. She continued on through the room letting her eyes roam about over the large collection of life threatening ‘toys’ as the boys called them. Connor and Murphy were conversing quietly a few feet away and approached her together now carrying a set of long sleek looking guns.

“Try these.” Connor instructed extending them to her handle first. Nicky held the cold textured metal grips in her hands as she lifted first one then the other to aim. They felt nice in her hands. Much easier to hold then the gun she had used the night before.

“They feel nice, lighter than my dad’s.” Nicky accessed them out loud for the boys benefit. Connor nodded and asked

“How does the handle feel? Its smaller”

“Yeah I can tell, I can get my fingers all the way around it.”Nicky replied. Murphy spoke this time

“Looks like we found the ones then huh?” Nicky nodded still distracted by the shine of the dark gray metal. For the first time in her life Nicky was reminded that she didn’t have money. She hadn’t ever worried about expenses before, her father had always taken care of it. Whatever she needed or wanted was always right there ready for her. Now though without a job and without her father she didn’t have a penny to her name.

“Wait, guys, I don’t have any money. You killed my bank account remember?” A voice from behind her interrupted them.

“I hope you don’t think I’m going to make you PAY for those.”

“Of course not” Connor said before Murphy added.

“That would be illegal! Selling weapons to a minor?” The Irishmen chimed in again now

“What kind of establishment do you think I’m running?” Yet another chorus of laughter rippled through the group as they began packing up a few other things including the bullets for the guns Nicky still held. Murphy took the guns from her hands and lightly placed them inside of a black bag he carried over his shoulder.

“Our friend her is a generous soul, sides, he says we’re good for business.” As they left the Irishmen gave them a brotherly nod and wave. Nicky still had no idea who that man was but he seemed to be very fond of the boys just like everyone else they had run into. She had yet to hear what exactly the plan was from the boys. They seemed to just be wandering about doing whatever they felt like. It was hardly a highly organized operation the three of them. Nicky didn’t question them though since they had seemed to be ending up on top and on the news for the past few weeks. As they stepped into daylight once again Connors pocket began to ring something like an Irish jig.

“Aye” He answered the phone swiftly after the melody had only chimed for a few moments.

“Where?” Connor spoke again in response to a yet unidentified voice. Nicky and Murphy waited patiently getting lost in each other’s eyes for the first time since the night before. They had been so busy all day there hadn’t been a moment to spare. Now as Connor was otherwise occupied they stole their moment silently communicating and emanating affection while standing just far enough apart. She was still close enough to feel the energy pulsing between them.

“We’ll meet ya there” Connor hung up the phone now turning towards them to recap what had just happened.

“Smecker wants us to meet him at the bar. He says he has something to show us and that we will find it very interesting.”

“Well what are we waitin’ for?” Murphy responded enthusiastically. They soon entered yet another dimly lit room. This one an old speak easy bar. At this time of day there was but one lonely soul off at the end of the bar drowning his sorrows before dinner. They approached the counter in their usual fashion with Nicky trailing behind the two boys forming a triangle. The man behind the bar was an old toad of a man with a 50’s hair cut pure white with age. One of the boys called him Doc which seemed appropriate since he looked like the beardless version of the dwarf or Gapetto. He had a heavy stutter as he responded to the boy’s greetings. Nicky stayed quiet as she took her own stool at the bar in front of him.

“Finally o-o-one of you lads h-h-has brought a g-g-, Douh Lady Friend around.”

“Shes not our lady friend.” Connor answered.

“Aye” Murphy began.

“This here is our hostage.”

“We’re gonna mail one of her fingers later.”Connor jumped in again.

“Thought we ought a get her good and drunk first.” Murphy finished. The boys smacked their whiskey glasses together with perhaps too much force sloshing their amber vice over their hands before taking a large gulp in unison. Nicky folded her hands and looked around the bar noticing the odd mismatched trinkets of Irish pride. They hadn’t been there long conversing and drinking before another stranger entered the bar and Nicky’s life. A tall thin man with a singing swagger waltzed into the bar letting the door slam close behind him.

“Hello there boys, I thought I might find Nicky with you.” Nicky fidgeted at the drop of her name. She assumed this man was Smecker the man destined to meet them at the bar but how did he know her on sight.

“She followed us home, can we keep her?” Connor joked.

“Now didn’t I say no more pets? You killed the last one.”

“Please?” Murphy pleaded mockingly with his hands. Smecker pursed his lips in a faint smile and rolled his head lightly from one shoulder to the other.

“Well alright but YOU have to take care of her.” This was a clear satire of a father and his children but there was a serious note ringing in the ends of their sentences.

“Did you bring us a present?” Connor asked to steer the conversation back towards what brought them all there.

“Don’t get your panties in a twist there O’Malley.” Smeckers poked at Connors heavy Irish accent as he pulled a manila envelope out of his brief case. He handed it to Connor silently with a sudden look of exhaustion under his deep set eyes. Connor exchanged a look with Murphy who leaned closer to Connor to watch the unveiling of their surprise.

“Is this real?” Murphy asked over Connors shoulder.

“I’m afraid it’s very real. It showed up on my desk this morning around 10:30. Funny part about it is no one saw who left it. Makes you wonder how deep the mobs pockets are doesn’t it.” The boys were silent for a moment drinking and swirling their whiskies.

“What’s happening?” Nicky had finally gotten tired of waiting to be included. Murphy handed Nicky the envelope rather than answer her. There was a single piece of paper inside the envelope with a bland 12pt. Times New Roman paragraph on it.

[i*]“’You have Nicky, this we know to be true. The question then is what we are going to do about that situation. We very well know we cannot keep it in this state. I’m seeking some spiritual guidance from the saints.
You are hear by cordially invited to my personal home located at 142 Marlborough St, Boston, MA, 02116. Tonight at 11:30 I will be waiting for you in my sitting room.”[/i*]

Nicky looked up from the paper with concern.

“Shit, what are we going to do?”

“Is there really anything to discuss?” Connor said looking at each person in turn with questioning in his eyes. Smecker put his hands up with his elbows still close to his body and said.

“Looks like we’re going to an after dinner party.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys im really sorry about how long it takes me to update. Im afraid my updates arent going to be much more frequent then this though because im very stretched schedule. that being said i love writing this story and if you'll stay along for the ride ill try and make something you guys will enjoy. I love all your comments and feedback so never hesitate to comment, ask questions, or even constructively criticize!