American Idiot

Are We The Waiting?

I was becoming very impatient. I blew and popped my bubblegum loudly while waiting for him to hurry up.
Tunny and I were hosting an party at my house while my parents are gone on an anniversary thing over the weekend. We were inviting everyone from the Underground. The party was going to be insane. Tunny, however was choosing to take his dear sweet time today. I sighed heavily as warning to hurry up and choose some kind of beer and put it in the already packed cart. My parents had left me an emergency stash of money and some spending money while they were gone. If it wasn't clear already, it's all going into the beer we're buying. Finally Tunny picked up and lugged three cases of Coors into the cart. We were doing our shopping at the 7-11. And Tunny had been really reluctant to come here and wouldn't tell me why. I believed it had something to do with Jimmy. Since if he's not at the Underground, he's here. Making someone's life miserable.
But I havent seen him yet. Actually to be honest, I hadn't seen any trace of his existence anywhere in over an week. We kicked the can on Monday and it was now Sunday again. I know he's probably still really steaming over me. But how could he have not seen this coming?

“We're gonna need more, Tunny. This is an big party with an hundred and fifty plus people.” I told him.

He sighed and ran an hand through his shaggy black hair and bent over to pick up the last six case of beer in the refrigerator. He balanced them in the cart and got two caes of Budweiser too. We're gonna have an mighty fine bill here when we pay. Good thing Tunny is 22. Same age as Jimmy. Younger by two months. I normally thought about Jimmy openly like he was an old rerun of an good tv show. But when Tunny was around, I tended to get paranoid.
Jimmy had to known it was ending soon right? I couldn't take his clinginess. Now I'm free, but somehow already binded into Tunny. We did not invite Jimmy or his alcoholic mother or father. I wanted to to show Jimmy I was over him. After all those hurtful things he threw back at me on Monday. But with Tunny being his ex bestfriend, he said we shouldn't break him anymore and that he'd had enough.
I shoved the cart toward the checkout so Tunny could pay and I could hang offhand like I wasnt associated with him since I'm underage.
I was flipping through an political magazine when I heard an voice behind me.

“Mary-Jane.”

I turned around. Surprised to see Jimmy's mom. Standing there behind me. She smiled innocently like she had no idea about the breakup. But I could see the truth in her narrowed, judging eyes.

“Hi.” I said weakly, clearing my throat and turning to face her full on.

“Did you hear about Jimmy?” she chuckled. Enjoying an private joke that I'm not sure I want in on. What did he do? Kill himself...

“No, what?” I shook my head.

“He left, flew town. Went east somewhere and said he wasnt going to be back. How are you dear?”

Her news hit me like an ton of bricks. For one thing it kind of bothered me that'd he just leave. And made me sort of joyful that I'd driven him away.

“No I didn't hear that. I'm fine.”

An sly smile spread across her lips as she glanced over at Tunny.

“Having an party?”

“No.” I lied quickly “Tunny is, I'm staying home with my parents for an 'I Love Lucy' marathon tonight.” I smirked. That shoe was one of my mothers favorites.

“Really?” she laughed unbelievingly. “Your father came into the hospital yesterday with an coworker from work who had fallen down an set of stairs. He said that he and your mother were going on an anniversary cruise.” she said thoughtfully, catching my lie.

I swallowed tightly “Really?... Hmm, they didn't tell me that.”

She leaned in close to my ear and whispered “Don't lie to me Mary-Jane, you broke my sons heart and I'll never forgive you for driving him away. Don't do something to piss me off because I already have an motive to call the cops on your little party tonight.”
She leaned away grinning. Finished paying for her cigarettes and waved goodbye “Have and good I Love Lucy marathon, Mary-Jane!” she laughed as she walked out the sliding doors toward her car.
I watched her go with an sudden jerk of emptiness inside. I couldn't identify which one it was, either for what shed just said or because Jimmy was gone.

Tunny jerked lightly on my arm. I snapped out of my trance and looked over at him.
“You ready to go MJ?”

I paused for and second and nodded. Following him out towards the car, shoving the cart full of beer there.
After we'd loaded it all and were taking it back to my house, I found myself glancing over at my built in bestie. Was it an mistake to leave Jimmy?
♠ ♠ ♠
An glimpse into something that sounds distinctly like 'Nobody Likes You'
Thank you all for reading Rage and Lovies!