Status: Regularly updating.

Let Me Save You

Chapter 12

When I came downstairs Andy and CC were just walking out the door and I said a quick goodbye to them before they scurried out to the car and drove away. I made myself a small lunch and ate a piece of toast before going to look for the lock for the bike. I found it easily enough as Andy had already dug it out and set it on the table by the door, along with a key to the house. I grabbed the spare key, which Andy had looped onto a keychain for some band I’d never heard of, and added the bike lock key. Gathering my bag, the lock and the keys I stepped outside and locked the house, finding the bike leaning against the front stoop.

The ride to school was simple enough, I’d googled it the previous night and memorized the short ride. I pulled my bike into the bike racks and locked it up, double checking the lock before going to the door, where I found Zach laying under a tree a few yards from the entrance.

I hesitantly approached him. “Zach?”

He cracked one eye open, then smiled and pat the spot next to him. “Guten Morgen.”

I sat down and looked down awkwardly. “Morning.”

His smile widened and he closed his eyes again.

Cody dropped down on the other side of Zach and kissed his cheek before laying down with her head on his stomach.

“Look it’s the lovebirds guys! Aren’t you three cute, the dyke, the alien, and wrist cutter, what a happy little trio of lovebirds!” The blonde football player said, his two followers close behind him.

Cody jumped to her feet glaring at him. “I’m a lesbian, got it jackass? Now go get yourself a fucking life Jason and leave us the fuck alone already.”

“Ooo the dyke can fight! Wanna take me on? I can pin you in a few seconds, and fuck you till you split in two. That way when they stitch you back together they’d do it right this time.” The three laughed loudly and Cody looked like she was ready to kill. Thankfully Zach grabbed her wrist and pulled her back down.

“Leave the lovely lady alone Cody, she couldn’t beat you even if she wanted.” Zach didn’t open his eyes as he spoke, and my eyes went wide at the comment.

“The fuck did you say you jerk?” Jason looked pissed, but Zach didn’t move.

“Said, leave her alone.” His voice was as sharp as the edge of a blade and a shiver ran down my spine. The fear only spiked when Jason’s gaze fell on me and he smirked.

“How about you wrist cutter, got anything to say?” He smirked and walked closer to me. I shook my head quickly and looked away. Apparently that wasn’t good enough, because he grabbed my chin and yanked my head back roughly, leaning down to my ear.

“I’ll fuck your little brains out one of these days buckeye.” He said quietly in my ear, then shoved my head back, a smirk on his face at my blank expression.

Breathe in, exhale, inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale. I chanted in my head while they walked away, my wide eyed gaze focused on the grass. Inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale.

“Jay? What did he say?” Cody looked a little startled, and Zach was now sitting up watching me like I would break any second.

I shook my head silently and stood up, going into the school and to my English class. I took my seat in the back ignoring Annie when she walked in looking pissed. She didn’t make her move until lunch, when she came stomping over to where we were sitting and slammed a magazine down in front of me.

“What the fuck it this you little bitch?” She looked livid and I looked down at the magazine, at a small photo of Andy and I with his arm around my shoulder walking through a parking lot. When had they even taken this? Who had taken this?

I shrugged and kept my gaze away from hers.

“Fuck you liar!” Turns out she’d taken Jason’s advice, which I found out after Zach helped me off the ground and to the nurse who told me my eye was going to be pretty badly bruised for a few days. Great, how was I supposed to hide that?

Unfortunately for me, the day was long from over. In gym we played soccer, and I ended up on the opposing team from Jason, one of his buddies, and Zach, who sent me an apologetic look, which I ignored.

When most people play soccer the aim is to make a goal, this was not the case for Jason, who’s goal was to injure me as much as possible. By the end of the class I was limping, and was covered in a collection of large bruises from falls and trips.

I quickly changed back into my clothes, but wasn’t fast enough and was late to my next class. I got a pointed look from my history teacher and vowed to never be late again.

The day couldn’t end soon enough. The last bell finally rung, and after being shoved repeatedly into the lockers I made it to the door and over to where my bike was. I undid the lock and put it in my bag before wheeling my bike down onto the street and climbing on.

Two blocks later I heard the rev of an engine and glanced back just in time to see Jason’s car racing towards me. He drove me against the curb laughing loudly when I wiped-out on the grass, then drove away.

I carefully stood up, my entire body hurting and climbed back onto my bike, slowly making my way home. I parked the bike on the side of the house inside the gate and unlocked the front door, limping up to my room and falling onto my bed as tears pricked my eyes. Never had I thought my life could be any worse than what it was like in Ohio. At least there I was invisible most of the time.

Guitar chords started up from my pocket followed by Andy’s voice and I pulled out my phone hitting the answer key without looking at the caller ID.

“Hello?” I said quietly.

“Hey, just wanted to check in with you. Did you make it home ok?” Andy’s voice drifted through the speaker and I bit my lip trying not to start sobbing.

“Yeah.” I whispered, swallowing back a sob forcibly.

“Everything ok?” He asked, the background noise suddenly cutting off.

“Yeah.” I said slightly louder this time, thankful my voice didn’t crack.

“...Alright.” He sounded skeptical. “I've got to get back to work, uh I’ll be home around nine-thirty so we can talk then. I’ll see you later Jay.”

“Bye.” I said quietly then hit the end button. I just needed to be sleeping before nine-thirty, no problem.