Status: Regularly updating.

Let Me Save You

Chapter 13

For dinner I made myself a small sandwich and ate while I worked on my homework at the kitchen table. Time went faster than I anticipated and when I looked at the clock it was already nine-twenty. I hurriedly gathered my things and went up to my room, brushed my teeth, and changed into my pajamas then climbed into bed just as the front door opened. I turned on my alarm clicked off the light and squeezed my eyes closed, evening out my breathing.

“Jay?” Andy called walking into the kitchen then back out into the living room.

“She’s probably upstairs.” CC said walking into the kitchen and rattling around.

Andy walked up the stairs and knocked on my partially open door before walking in. “You still up?” He asked quietly.

I didn’t move, didn’t react as he walked further into my room flicking on the light. Oh crap! Oh crap! Hopefully my hair covered my bruise eye well enough. Of course it wouldn’t, not with my luck.

I felt his fingertips brush my hair back from my eye and lightly trace the bruise before he sighed and moved his hand to my chin, carefully turning my head to reveal a large hand print on the edge of my neck that extended down over the top of my shoulder. He turned my head back how it was and stroked my hair. Andy sniffed then pulled the blanket a little higher before flicking the light back off and stepping out into the hall. His footsteps grew quieter as he walked down to his room.

--

The next morning I found a sticky note stuck to the fridge that was clearly Andy’s handwriting. ‘We need to talk.’ I sighed, pulled it off the fridge and threw it in the recycling. Shit.

--

Another terrible day at school later I biked around the corner almost crashing into a tree when I saw Andy’s car parked outside the house, CC’s right behind it. Crap, that meant they’d finished early today. I stopped my bike and got off it, slowly limping towards the house. I parked my bike and limped up to the door standing there for a few long moments before taking a deep breath and pushing open the door.

The living room was empty and I made a painful run for it up the stairs and into my room. I pushed the door closed behind me and locked it then backed away. I realized only then that I still had my shoes on. I slipped them off and left them by the end of my bed next to my backpack and my bike lock.

“Jay is that you?” CC called from somewhere downstairs.

“Jay?” Andy’s voice called as he walked down the hall. I looked around then opened my closet and stepped inside, pulling the door mostly closed before sinking to the floor.

Andy knocked, then tried the handle only to find it locked. “Jay? Is everything ok? Why is the door locked?”

I pulled the old leather jacket from my black canvas bag down and used it as a blanket, sobbing silently into the familiar smooth texture.

“Jay? What’s going on? What happened? Can you open the door?” I could hear the worry in his voice but I didn’t move from my hideout, not even when I heard CC come up the stairs.

“What happened?” He asked.

“She’s got the door locked.” Andy murmured jiggling the handle. “Please can you open the door Jay?”

I felt my phone buzzing in my pocket and ignored it, covering my ears with my hands.

--

My eyes stung from dehydration, and my knees were screaming in pain from my extended period of sitting the way I was. Not to mention the newly acquired bruises and the now constant ache in my side from where Jason’s foot had connected with my ribs. If the quiet crack was anything to go by, my rib was probably in bad condition, but I didn’t care.

It had been silent outside my door for a few hours now, and both Andy and CC had been up and down the stairs a few times so I wasn’t really sure where they were anymore. My stomach growled loudly and I carefully pushed the closet door open, crawling out into my now dark room. The hall light had been turned off so I wasn’t sure if someone was outside my door or not. I crawled up onto my bed after changing and pulled the blanket up, squeezing my eyes closed.

--

Andy and CC hung around later than usual the next morning and I was counting down the minutes before they finally left the house to start getting dressed for school. I skipped breakfast and rode as fast as I could to school, making it to class a few minutes late and slumping into my seat.

By lunch I’d received two detentions, one to be served that afternoon, the other the day after. I’d also received fifteen text messages, from Andy, four from CC, two from Ashley, and a couple from Jeremy and Jake. I hadn’t opened any of them yet, and wasn’t planning to.

Lunch was unusually calm, probably due to Zach, he’d taken it upon himself to be my lunch body guard, His schedule had changed a few days before so now we only had science together, which meant I had a lot more time alone and vulnerable.