Status: Regularly updating.

Let Me Save You

Chapter 18

I sat at the kitchen table, silently eating my cereal, CC sat across from me scrolling through his phone with an empty plate and a half cup of coffee in front of him.

Andy came down the stairs and walked into the kitchen. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and kissed my temple. “Thank you.” Then went over to the fridge and looked for something to eat.

CC looked up glancing between us before letting it go and looking back down at his phone. “We’re all going to the beach today, no outs!”
Andy’s head popped up from behind the fridge door. “Huh?”

“Beach!” CC called smiling at me.

“Uh, ok. That ok with you Jay?” They both looked at me and I nodded taking another bite of my cereal.

CC cheered. “We’re leaving in half an hour!” With that he got up, putting his plate in the sink and running upstairs. Andy took his abandon seat across from me and poured some cereal into a bowl followed by milk.

We ate in silence until CC came running down the stairs.

“You guys goin’ like that?” He asked disapproving.

“No.” Andy said swallowing.

“Go get ready! We’re leaving in five minutes!” CC gave us a pointed look and I quickly finished eating then retreated to my bedroom to change.

After getting ready I grabbed a book, my sunglasses, and my bag then headed downstairs where CC and Andy were filling a bag with snacks and drinks.

“Look who’s finally ready!” CC smirked at me. “Let’s go, let’s go!”

We all put our shoes on and went out to Andy’s car, Andy driving, CC in the passenger seat, and me in the back.

“Oh we have to pick up Ashley, his car’s in the shop.” Andy rolled his eyes and started the car, heading to Ashley’s apartment.

“Good morning crazies.” Ashley said smirking as he climbed into the backseat with me.

“Morning Ash.” Andy said over his shoulder, pulling out onto the road.

“What, no puppies?” CC asked disappointed.

Ashley gave him a look. “Not today.”

CC pouted in the front seat and Ashley rolled his eyes, then turned to me.

“How are you doin’ Jay?” He asked quietly.

I shrugged and looked out the window for the rest of the drive.

When we pulled into a parking spot CC jumped out and ran straight towards the beach where Jake and Jeremy were already sitting on top of a picnic table in the shade. Ashley tsked and helped Andy and I carry the bags over to the table.

“Hope you guys don’t mind, Kellin, Vic and the guys might meet up with us a little later.” Jeremy said, setting his phone to the side.

Andy shrugged and sat down on the table, laying back and throwing out his arms dramatically. “I wish everyday was like this.”

Jake laughed and poked him in the side. “What are you talkin’ about? That’s all you ever do.”

Andy sat up on his elbows pouting. “Do not.”

CC smirked evilly before grabbing Andy and throwing him over his shoulder as he ran towards the water. The whole time Andy pounded on his back, kicking his legs and threatening him, while the other guys watched laughing. CC threw him in the water, but Andy grabbed his arm on the way down and pulled him in as well.

A few moments later a soaking wet CC popped out of the water, looking between where Andy was straightening up out of the water over to us. Ashley took off his shirt, and Andy and CC shared a look before running towards me. I realized seconds later what their intentions were and jumped up wide eyed, pushing Ashley between me and them.

“Don’t you dare.” I said scared they would throw me in the water.

CC looked at Andy and smirked.

“Come on guys, you wouldn’t really do that.” Ashley defended me.

They each grabbed one of Ashley’s arms. He protested right up until he hit the water. Once he resurfaced he glared in my direction, then tackled CC. I rolled my eyes and crawled up onto the table next to Jeremy.

“How’s it goin’ Jay?” He asked, leaning back on his hands.

I shrugged, gazing out at the water.

“I’m sorry...about what happened in Ohio.” He said quietly.

I shrugged and turned my face away, leaning down and opening one of the coolers to find a bottle of water. I closed it with my foot and cracked open the bottle sipping the numbingly cold liquid.

When I set the bottle down and looked up the guys were walking towards us. Andy caught my gaze and smiled deviously, then opened his arms and started running towards me. Again.

I was on my feet in milliseconds, off in the opposite direction down the sand. Andy followed right on my heels, his long legs an easy advantage over me. I pushed harder running as fast as I could, but I wasn’t fast enough and Andy caught me around the waist lifting me up and spinning around. He set me down but didn’t let go until I was thoroughly soaked, only then did he step back, hands on his hips and a triumphant look in his eyes.

“Gotcha.” He smiled then draped his arm around my shoulders and lead me back to the picnic table where the guys had broken into the snack foods. Andy dropped down next to Ashley and I sat on the end across from him.

“Did you bring a suit Jay?” Ashley asked, pulling a beer out of a cooler.

I shook my head and reached for my water.

“You have one though right?”

“Yeah.” I murmured sipping at my water.

“Hey Kellin texted me, they just got here.” Jeremy said.

I set my water down and stood up. “I’m gonna go walk around.”

“Alright, just don’t go too far.” Andy said, looking up. I nodded, knowing he wasn’t trying to be controlling. His over-protectiveness was comforting after recent events.

I put my hands in the pockets of my sweater and walked down towards the water, staying far enough back that the waves wouldn’t hit me. The breeze was strong and the sound of the water gave me a sense of peace. I wandered in the opposite direction from the main beach area, and people.

The sand gradually gave way to rocky terrain that jutted out into the water, the grey and black of the rocks blending easily with the blue waves. I walked over to a stable looking rock and climbed up until I was on the flatter section that jutted out into the water. I walked carefully to the end and sat down crossed legged.

“Mind if I join you?” I turned to see a guy that looked CC’s age a few feet behind me. I shrugged and looked back out at the water, watching him carefully out of the corner of my eye.

“I’m Kellin,” he said, sitting down next to me. “Andy told me you were over here.”

I watched the waves silently, what was I supposed to say?

“It’s beautiful, isn’t it?” He murmured looking out at the water.

“Yeah.” I said softly. I turned to look at him, noticing that he looked like a guy on the cover of some magazine CC had been reading a couple weeks ago.

“Is there something in my hair?” He asked, blushing lightly.

“N-No, no, sorry.” I flushed and looked away quickly, he chuckled softly.

“The guys were starting up the grill when I left, wanna go make sure they haven’t set the beach on fire yet?”

“Sure.” I answered, standing up quietly. I followed him down towards the shore, surprised when he turned and helped me down onto the sand off the rocks.

I hugged myself as we walked along the water back towards the guys, who were easy to spot by the smoke coming from the cloud of bodies clad mostly in black.

“So you’re Andy’s daughter?” Kellin asked looking at me. “You look a lot like him.”

“Yeah...” I murmured, dropping my gaze to the sand.

“I have a daughter, her name’s Copeland. She’s two .” He smiled.

“Kellin! Thank god!” A short Mexican guy with brown hair waved frantically at us from beside a laughing CC. “These crazy fuckers are trying to set the beach on fire!”

Kellin laughed and jogged over to the heavily smoking grill to help out. Him and the unnamed guy waved the smoke away with a couple of towels, while CC stood by laughing, and Ashley looked confused.

I sat down on top of the table, and Andy came over to sit beside me, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. “I see you met Kellin.”

“Yeah. He’s nice.” I murmured, hugging myself.

“Hey Vic get over here, I’ve got someone for you to meet.” Andy called over his shoulder. The unnamed guy looked up then handed the towel to CC and walked over.

“Who’s this lovely lady?” He asked, smiling warmly.

“This is my daughter Jay, Jay this is Vic from Pierce the Veil.” Andy said.

Vic put one arm behind his back then bowed elegantly. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Ms. Biersack.” He winked at me as he straightened up.

Andy punched Vic’s shoulder teasingly. “Don’t be flirting with my daughter, she’s like half your age man.” Vic smiled at me and winked, making me blush. “Where’s the rest of the guys anyway?”

Vic glanced behind us before smirking. “They’re coming, had to unload the car.”

I looked over my shoulder to see three Mexican guys hauling coolers and a couple of bags towards the group. Two of them were laughing while the other pouted. In another few seconds they’d reached the picnic table and dropped all their stuff into a pile beside it. Subconsciously I hugged myself a little tighter and let my bangs fall into my eyes.

“Vic what the hell?” The tallest one complained. Vic laughed and went to help the other two drag another picnic table over.

“That’s Mike, he’s Vic’s brother.” Andy explained. “The one with the short hair is Jamie, and the one in the snapback is Tony.”

I nodded silently, returning my gaze to the water.

“Hey grills ready guys.” Jake called from his spot manning the now tamed grill.

The guy, Jamie, set a cooler on the table and shot me a smile before unpacking a few containers of hamburgers, chicken, and some kind of veggie concoction that resembled a hamburger. He brought them over to the grill and started taking off the lids.

“Who wants what?” He asked over his shoulder.

As if on cue everyone answered at exactly the same moment and Jamie rolled his eyes. “Great, self serve!” Then he walked back to the coolers and continued to unpack a few bowls of food. Jeremy came over with another cooler and did the same.

“What do you want?” Andy asked standing up.

I shrugged. “I’m fine.”

He brushed a hand through his hair and I noticed from the corner of my eye Vic lingering, watching us. “Jay.”

“I’m not in the mood for meat right now.” I murmured, not meeting his gaze.

“You can have one of my veggie burgers if you want.” Tony said softly, startling me since I didn’t see him approach. “I make them myself, one hundred percent vegan.”

With the attention focused on me I felt pressured and simply nodded. Andy visibly relaxed and headed over to the grill.

The grill was loaded up and within fifteen minutes food was being dished out onto multicolored plastic plates conjured from someone’s bag. A rolling cooler was sitting at the end of the table on the sand filled with ice and cans of soda, a few bottles of beer and Mike’s Hard Lemonade. I had somehow ended up in the middle of one of the tables, Andy on one side and Vic on the other. Kellin sat across from me eating one of Tony’s veggie burgers and a pile of kettle chips. I’d settled for the burger and a little scoop of salsa with a few corn chips. It all tasted amazing, though I couldn’t help but merely pick at it, and I was almost positive everyone noticed. Thankfully nobody commented on it.

After forcing down a little over half my meal I finished my bottle of water and stood up to go put it in the recycling bin a little further down the beach. As I walked towards it I felt more than saw the gazes of the group following me.

I dropped the bottle into the bin then turned to face the water, staring out at it for a few long moments before leaning down and rolling my pants legs up to my knees and kicking off my sandals. I carried my shoes and made my way down to the water going deep enough that the waves almost touched my pants. I wandered slowly through the water back down the beach closer to where Andy and everyone else was.

The water was cool, but not cold enough that it was uncomfortable, and the waves were soothing as they brushed against my shins. I continued on back to where I’d been sitting before on the little rock jetty, only now I sat with my feet dangling into the water.

The sun had gradually sunken lower in the sky until it was sitting just above the horizon. It was only then that I realized how long I’d been sitting there, and how worried Andy might be. Reluctantly I pushed myself to my feet and started the walk back to the picnic table. The closer I got the easier it was to see that the guys had procured a few beach chairs and some blankets from somewhere and were sitting on them spread in a loose circle around a fire pit not too far from the grill. A fire burned brightly in the middle and illuminated the smiling faces of the guys. Laughing could be heard along with Mike telling some embarrassing story about Vic.

Kellin was the first to notice my approach and smiled warmly at me, that of course caught everyone’s attention. They all looked at me for a split second before returning their gazes to Mike, I was glad of that. After a quick assessment of who was sitting where I lowered myself onto one of the blankets between Tony and Jake. Looking around again I noticed that Andy, Jamie and Ashley were missing. Had the left? I tugged my sweater sleeves down over my hands and let my bangs cover my eyes.

Jake seemed to notice my distress and leaned over. “Andy went to get some stuff from the store, Ashley and Jamie went with.”

I nodded silently and fixed my gaze on the dancing flames zoning out.

It wasn’t until Andy pulled up a chair behind me and sat down that I woke from my daydreaming and glanced around. Two boxes of graham crackers were being passed around along with marshmallows and chocolate. A metal stick had already been placed beside me.

Behind me Andy dug out a couple graham crackers and handed them to me, followed by a marshmallow and a bar of chocolate. I took them still a little out of it and put the marshmallow on the end of the stick, placing it over the coals.

Andy held his stick out to me. “Can you roast this for me?”

I nodded and took hold of the stick, holding it beside mine.

“So Jay what kind of music do you listen to?” Vic asked breaking the silence.

I shrugged and kept my gaze on the fire. “I don’t really.”

“That’s cool too.” The way he said it made me look up, meeting his gaze across the flames. He wore a friendly smile and for once I felt like not knowing much about the business Andy was in wasn’t such a strange thing. It hadn’t occurred to me until then just how different I felt whenever someone asked me about music.

For a while the conversation centered around things I didn’t understand or care about, and I felt myself gradually getting more tired. At some point long after the sun had dipped below the horizon, leaving the fire as the only real light aside from the stars, I had fallen back against Andy’s shins, my head resting against his knees. After I’d fallen asleep, Tony had wrapped a blanket around me as best he could.