Status: Regularly updating.

Let Me Save You

Chapter 20

The last of the credits disappeared and Andy reached for the remote, hitting stop and leaning back. My gaze was fixed on him equally curious and nervous to hear what he had to say.

“We’ve made a lot of progress on the new record, in fact we’re almost done with the actual recording.” He paused, his gaze still fixed on the remote in his hand, brow furrowed. “The next step is promotion,” slowly he raised his gaze to meet mine. “That means we have to go on tour.”

Tour. I’d figured that’s what it was, and I had a sinking feel I knew what it meant as well.

“We’re booked for the full set of Warped tour dates, so June through August. I’ve been running around all day trying to figure out a way to make this work, and what it comes down to is that our tour bus isn’t really a place you would be comfortable in. As much as I hate the idea of not taking you with, I don’t like the idea of dragging you around with us any more. I didn’t think you’d be too crazy about the idea either.” He set the remote on the coffee table. “I’ve been asking around and talking to a bunch of people. My parents could take you, but they live back in Ohio and I had a feeling that might not be the greatest idea. In the end we’ve got a few different options, my friend Matt said you could stay with him, he lives in Arizona. Vic also said he could take you, you met him the other night at the beach. Those four all live down in San Diego, they were up here doing some recording their new album but they’re headed back home in a couple weeks for the summer. Kellin’s another option, he lives in Oregon though and he’s got his daughter and two step sons living with him as well. I’ve still got a couple people I could ask, but it all depends on you. I’d rather not make the decision for you.”

My mind was racing trying to put everything into a neat little box that made sense. All summer…that was a long time stuck in one place. Not that it would have really been any different if they weren’t going on tour…but still. I certainly didn’t want to go back to Ohio, and Oregon didn’t sound particularly appealing either. Arizona would be hot, way too hot. Which left San Diego, that didn’t sound horrible and Vic was nice enough.

“You don’t have to make a decision right now, you can think it over for a while-“

“San Diego.” I said cutting him off. “I can stay with Vic.”

“Alright, guess that settles that then. I could probably take you down there a few days before we leave, then we can pick you up at the show there. You can just ride along on the last two dates before we head home. How does that sound?”

I shrugged indifferently.

“Does this mean we can keep watching Game of Thrones now?” CC asked playfully looking between Andy and I.
Andy responded by throwing the remote at him and so resumed the show I still didn’t understand.

Days passed quickly as the race to the end of school picked up. I spent my nights curled up on the couch doing homework and studying while CC actively tried to distract me, and Andy scolded him for it. Pretty soon finals hit and it took every moment of concentration not to drown in all the studying I had to do. CC had switched to helping me in the form of flashcards, and quizzing me when I least expected it. Unfortunately CC’s quizzes weren’t always on topic.

“What’s the drummer’s name in Motley Crue?” He asked as soon as I walked into the kitchen. I ignored him going for the fridge and pulling out some leftover pasta from the night before.

“Come on Jay, this is an easy one!” He cheered from his spot at the table. I continued to ignore him, grabbing a fork and sitting down.

Two bites in he started singing the jeopardy theme. I took a calming breath. “Maybe it’s easy for you, you’re a drummer. It’s like required for you to know.” I muttered, not looking up from my food.

He stared at me waiting while I continued to eat, blatantly ignoring him. Thankfully Andy walked in just as CC opened his mouth cutting off whatever he was about to say.

"Ready to go Jay?" He asked, pocketing his cellphone.

I nodded and took a few more bites of pasta before putting it back in the fridge and grabbing my backpack.

"Good luck on your finals! I know you'll pass, you're a genius!" CC called from the kitchen as we walked out the door. I rolled my eyes and Andy smirked, locking the door.

"He's right you know." He said, turning to me as he pulled up to the curb in front of my school.

"I'm not a genius." I mumbled reaching for the door.

Andy sighed softly. "Don't say things like that Jay."

I kept my gaze fixed on the school out the passenger side window, pausing for a long moment. "Bye dad."

"Good luck with your finals." I glanced back offering a half-hearted smile then closed the door and headed into the building.

Five days later I'd survived all my finals. I stood, in the finals hours of the last day of school, leaning against my locker a pile of books in my arms to turn in. All around me people talked excitedly about their summer plans, and concerts they were going to. Somewhere down the hall headed in my direction Zach and Cody were chatting in that same tone. I already knew everyone's plans for summer since it was the only topic of conversation at lunch for the last week. Zach was going back to Germany to visit family and some old friends, Cody was heading out to NYC to see her sister, then down to Virginia to spend some time with her relatives and work at a horse stable her uncle owned. Lexi was going up to Seattle after a brief week in Montana, which he was not looking forward to. Apparently his parents loved Montana, he didn't, nor did he understand the fascination. None of them knew my plans, but I think Cody knew dad was booked for Warped, however she had yet to bring it up.

"There you are!" Zach called out as he approached, grinning. "Come on, we're headed to drop off our books, it looks like you are as well."

I nodded silently and followed them through the halls towards the library, which had been set up for the last day as a textbook return station. We waited in the fairly short line to turn in our books then headed to our last lunch period of the year.

I'd spent most of the day in a daze, and lunch was no exception. It felt like everything around me was going a million miles and hour and I was standing still. Pretty soon the day was over and people were bunched together all over the lawn hugging and saying their goodbyes. Lexi gave me a quick hug, knowing I wasn't too fond of people touching me. Cody spouted off some movie quote I didn't recognize and hugged me enthusiastically before turning to Lexi and practically tackling the poor boy. Zach laughed before turning to me and hugging me tightly. When he pulled back he kept a gentle hold on my shoulders and looked me straight in the eye. "Anything happens you call me."

I nodded, feeling my cheeks heat up and averted my eyes. He dropped his arms and slipped a piece of folded up paper into my hand before turning to Cody and giving her a dramatically over the top hug. I slipped the paper into my pocket an picked up my school bag, seeing Andy waiting at the curb. After a final round of goodbyes I headed to the car, throwing my stuff in the back and getting in the passenger seat.

"How was the last day?" Andy asked smiling.
"Exhausting." I sighed, leaning my head back and closing my eyes.

He chuckled and pulled onto the street. "It's gonna be a long weekend for you then. By the way, we're going shopping with Ashley."

I opened my eyes and lifted my head. "Who decided that?"

"He did." Andy smirked knowing my next question.

"And you agreed why?" I hated shopping and everybody knew it.

"Why would I stop you from doing something you enjoy so much?" He asked laughing. I rolled my eyes.

Shopping with Ashley turned into Ashley, CC, who'd tagged along when we stopped at home to drop off my stuff, and Andy dragging me around the mall from one store to the next until I found something I liked. In the end I'd found a number of things I liked and Andy had bought them all without blinking, which of course made me feel uncomfortably guilty at spending so much money, regardless of how much Andy told me to forget about it. When we got home after an uneventful stop for pizza on the way, to find Jake and Jeremy had mysteriously appeared, along with a hard shelled black suitcase with the band's emblem on it.

I deposited the bags upstairs in my room and came back downstairs to find the five of them scattered around the living room trying to decide on something to watch. I grabbed a plate and two slices of veggie pizza then headed into the living room, curling up between CC and Jake on the couch just as Batman started up. Of course it was Batman.

Two hours later the movie ended and Jeremy and Jake stood up, stretching and heading for the kitchen.

"I think I'm heading out, got 2 hungry puppies at home to feed." Jake said returning to the living room. He ruffled my hair as he passed, making me yelp and lean away while everyone else laughed. Jeremy nodded in agreement, and Ashley rolled his eyes standing up.

"Guess that means I'm leaving too." Ashley said, pulling on his boots. "Have a good night all."

As soon as those three had left I stood up and stretched before heading up to bed. Ignoring the bags scattered on the floor I fell into bed not even bothering to change into my pjs before falling asleep.