Status: Regularly updating.

Let Me Save You

Chapter 2

My stomach growled loudly, making it clear that putting off eating any longer was not an option. I laid there for a few more minutes staring blankly at the photo, as I had been for the last number of hours, then finally pushed myself up and started down the stairs. I was halfway down the stairs when the head rush hit me in full force and I caught myself on the wall as my vision went black for a moment, and I heard my pulse echo loudly in my ear.

When I could see again I saw Andy take the stairs two at a time, before reaching out and gripping my shoulders gently. He leaned down enough to look into my eyes and for the first time I met his gaze. He inhaled sharply and his grip on my shoulders tightened ever so slightly. Pressing my back against the wall, I dropped my gaze to the side letting my short hair fall into my eyes as I tried to squirm out of his hold. He gave in after a moment, letting go of my shoulders and moving back slightly. I hurriedly went down the remaining stairs and darted into the kitchen, going straight for the fridge. Bottled water lined the bottom shelf and I grabbed one, breaking the seal and drinking it down greedily.

“Everything ok Andy?” CC asked as he appeared in the living room.

“Yeah, yeah, everything’s....yeah.” Andy murmured loud enough for me to hear.

“Alright...you sure?” CC didn’t sound convinced. I recapped my water and wandered out onto the patio, which held a large glass table and six chairs shaded by a large green umbrella. Beyond the patio bricks was a grassy expanse and a large tree in almost the dead center of the yard. From it hung a sturdy swing that looked as if it had gone many years unused.

“Jay! You want something to eat?” CC asked, standing in the sliding door.

I nodded silently and continued to stand there as I heard Andy enter the kitchen. CC dished up whatever dinner was, and walked out onto the patio setting down two plates, Andy following after with his own and a larger plate that he put in the center. I drifted to the spot across from Andy and sat down, my gaze trailing over the large plate stacked with pizza in the center and my own plate occupied by two cheese slices.

“All we had is cheese. Hope it’s ok with you.” CC said before bringing his piece to his mouth. I nodded and picked up one of my own pieces, desperately ignoring Andy’s piercing gaze as he watched me. I took a bite, chewed quickly and swallowed. I repeated the action and felt Andy’s gaze shift from me to CC.

“I got a text from the guys, asking if they can hang out here tomorrow.“ CC said giving Andy a questioning look.

“Uh, well yeah, sure if it’s alright with Jay.” They both looked at me and I nodded not really sure what was going on, but not wanting the attention.

CC smiled. “Cool I’ll let ‘em know.” He pulled a phone out of his pocket and typed away on it.

-----

By the end of dinner I’d managed to force down half the piece of pizza before I just couldn’t anymore. I hadn’t missed the shared look between CC and Andy as I brought my plate into the kitchen and dumped the remaining half, leaving the other piece and setting it on the counter by the sink.

“Do you wanna watch a movie?” CC asked as he stacked his plate in the dishwasher.

I shrugged and pulled the arms of my sweatshirt down over my hands, lingering by the counter as Andy put his dish in the dishwasher as well, his gaze flickering over me quickly.

“Do you have a favorite movie?” CC asked glancing back as I shook my head. We’d never had many movies back home, we just tended to watch whatever may have been playing that night on TV. Andy drifted into the living room, and I followed curling into a ball at the very end of the couch closest to the kitchen doorway.

CC dug through a large cabinet filled with DVDs finally coming up with what looked to be Batman. “How about this?” Andy nodded and I shrugged. CC turned on the TV and put the disk in the player before settling down at the other end of the couch, leaving the middle open for Andy, which he gladly accepted.

-----
We were only half way through the movie when my eyes slipped closed of their own accord. I wasn’t aware that my head had also fallen to the side, landing on Andy’s shoulder.

Shortly after I’d fallen asleep Andy had snaked his arm around me and pulled me against his side, gently stroking my hair back out of my face.