Status: Regularly updating.

Let Me Save You

Chapter 6

As we drove I sunk down in my seat, pulling his jacket tighter around myself and drowning in his scent, somehow it was comfortingly familiar. Almost like I recognized it from somewhere. The ride wasn’t long and soon he was pulling into a parking spot along the road and turning off the car. He pulled out the key and opened his door. I undid my seat belt and followed suit, taking the opportunity to slip my arms through the sleeves of the jacket. As soon as I stepped onto the sidewalk Andy grabbed my hand, to keep me from running off I assumed, and lead the way up to Ashley’s apartment.

He knocked softly and glanced down at me while we waited for Ashley to open the door.
“Hey.” Ashley murmured holding the door open while we stepped inside. I slipped off my shoes and wandered into the living room silently evaluating Ashley’s apartment. I jumped when two small dogs ran at me yipping happily, then calmed and sat down on the rug letting them sniff my jacket. Approving of Andy’s scent the lighter colored one climbed into my lap and curled up while the other sprawled out on the carpet in front of me rolling around.

“What did she do?” Ashley asked quietly. They were standing in the kitchen watching me through the pass-through window. I could hear them easily, despite the quiet rock music playing in the background.

“Walked in on her cutting herself.” Andy answered, then the sound of liquid being poured into a glass.

“Oh god.” Ashley murmured setting down a glass bottle on the counter.

“I don’t know what to do Ashley. I’ve never dealt with this kind of thing before first hand, and I know you did a few years ago with your brother...” Andy sighed. “She won’t even talk to her own father Ashley.”

“My father’s dead.” My voice was cracked and rough from lack of use, and I felt both their gazes snap back to me instantly.

“You need to tell her Andy.” Ashley said quietly. “Now.”

It was silent and I felt Ashley’s gaze on me as I stroked the dog in my lap absentmindedly. A few minutes passed and one of them walked out into the living room. Andy came to sit in front of me, making sure to give me space. He smiled when he looked down at the little black dog still rolling around on the floor between us, but his smile soon faded.

“Seventeen years ago I met a girl, at a concert, we were both far too young at the time. She had this beautiful long dark hair, bright green eyes...we connected right away.” Great now I was getting his life story. What did this have to do with me? “About a year later we found out she was pregnant. We told her parents, who she was still living with at the time, Cindy and Mark.” He paused letting that sink in before continuing. Cindy and Mark were the names of my parents... “At first Aurora was so excited, she had everything planned out. Then a few weeks before you were born she started acting weird, and talking about giving you up. I told her she was just scared, and that once she saw you, she wouldn’t be able to give you up. She didn’t believe me.” He dropped his gaze inhaling deeply before continuing.

“After you were born she fell into depression, struggled with it for months, gradually pushing me away. Eventually she told me to leave, threatened to have me arrested if she ever saw me in town again. So I moved to LA, worked on my music, thinking about you everyday.” He raised his eyes trying to gauge my reaction.

Blankly, I lifted the small dog off my lap setting him on the floor and wandered into the kitchen where Ashley was also watching me. Space, I needed space...to breathe...and process everything. An invisible weight settled on my shoulders, and I almost flinched from the heaviness of it. On the counter was Andy’s small glass of something golden in color. I reached for it but Ashley got there first.

“Nah-uh. Not for you, Andy keep the alcohol away from your kid.” He set the glass out of my reach behind him and crossed his arms over his chest waiting for...what? I turned away from him griping the countertop tightly and staring down at the dark granite flecks. I turned around and slid down the cabinet curling my knees to my chest as I stared blankly ahead of me. I didn’t understand...they’d lied to me? All of them? My mo-grandmother, my...grandfather. My whole family, friends back when I still had them. Everything was a lie...my whole life, was a...lie.