Status: Regularly updating.

Let Me Save You

Chapter 10

“Are you worried about starting school tomorrow?” Andy asked.

I lifted my chin off my knees and shook my head, lying. Of course I was! Maybe it would be different here since nobody knew about my past? I wasn’t banking on it though, and honestly who was I kidding, I wasn’t going to find friends anyway. Who wants to be friends with the depressed girl from Ohio?

I felt more than saw the doubt in Andy’s eyes, but I didn’t say anything, instead turning my attention back to the TV.
The front door opened and CC walked in talking on his cell phone.

“Alright, tomorrow at ten, sounds good. Yeah we’ll be there.” CC hung up his keys and started taking off his boots. “Ok, see you then, bye.” He hung up and set his phone on the small table by the door. “Andy we’re meeting in the studio tomorrow at ten, you can make that right?”

“Ten, yeah no problem.” His gaze moved to CC and I took the opportunity to retreat quickly to my bedroom. I knew it was stupid to put so much thought into what to wear for the first day, but I couldn’t help it as I sat on my bed staring into my open closet. I couldn’t stand out too much, so blending in was my only option. Ok basic red dress leggings and a sweater, simple, plain, common. Perfect. Pleased with my decision I turned my phone face down not noticing the three new text messages, and crawled into bed. I flicked off the light and tried not to stare at my newly acquired digital clock Andy had insisted he get me.

---

I looked at myself one last time in the mirror before grabbing my bag an heading downstairs to the kitchen. I left my bag by the door and opened the fridge grabbing a bottle of water.

“Good morning.” Andy smiled from his spot at the table drinking coffee and writing something in his little book of secrets, which was what I called his lyric book. I sat across from him and sipped my water trying to calm my nervous stomach.

“Gonna eat anything?” Andy gestured to my bottle of water, and I shook my head a bit too quickly. “Nervous?” I looked away not meeting his gaze and fiddled with the cap of my water bottle.

“Don’t worry about it. The people here are nice, give them a chance, you’re not in Ohio anymore Jay, people think differently here.” His voice was soft, probably an attempt at comfort that was lost on me. I stood up and put my water in my bag before taking an apple off the counter and sticking it in my bag. It wasn’t safe to go with no food at all, even I knew that.

“You ready to go jitterbug?” He smirked and I glared briefly at him before grabbing my bag and pulling on my shoes. He followed suit slinging a black canvas messenger bag over his shoulder and grabbing his keys.

Since it was my first day he had to come with me to the office, and boy did we get some strange looks from the office staff. From the minute we pulled into the parking lot we were the main attraction. The secretary asked for my name, then handed me a folder of papers and made Andy sign a bunch of things. Finally she handed me a schedule, and a map and told me I had ten minutes to get to class.

We stepped out into the hall and Andy said goodbye before walking outside leaving me alone in the packed hallway. It took all my self control not to run after him. Looking for at my schedule I found that I had English first, in room 112D. I pulled out my map and started attempting to make it on time, I made it with two minutes to spare. The teacher looked up when I walked in and smiled at me.

“You must be Jay, right?” She had a soft southern drawl to her voice, and for some reason it made me feel slightly calmer. I nodded and stood in front of her desk.

“Welcome honey, here’s your book,” she handed me a thin textbook. “And here’s what we’re working on, and reading.” She handed me a small stack of papers and a copy of ‘The Tempest’ a book I’d already read at my old school a few months before. “I believe there’s an open seat in the back left corner.” I followed her directions and sat silently at the desk in the corner by the window.

Students started filing in, many of them glancing at me before ignoring me again, while others flat out ignored me from the start. I let my bangs fall into my eyes and stared out the window.

“Hey I recognize you!” I looked up to see the girl from Starbucks, Annie, standing in front of me. “I hope you don’t think you’ve got some special claim on Andy. You aren’t good enough for him.” She glared at me before stalking across the room to where another girl was sitting.
I didn’t listen as my teacher started class, and did my best to keep my head down, ignoring the occasional glares from Annie.

When class ended I waited until Annie was gone before exiting the room and stepping into the crowd in the hallway. Next I had to find math in room 104A. I politely pushed my way through the crowd until someone grabbed my upper arm startling me. I turned to see a tall blonde guy in a football jersey look down at me.

“Hey, you’re the new girl right?” He asked, a smirk on his face.
I nodded hesitantly, thankful when he let go of my upper arm.

Two more football players came up and flanked him, and the crowd seemed to part for us, everyone giving them a lot of space and walking faster as they passed. I glanced around nervously before looking back at the three much larger guys standing in front of me.

“I-I have to find my class.” I tried to keep my voice from shaking, then paused before starting to walk quickly down the hall.

“You’ve got one hell of a faggot for a brother! I’d hate to be you! I bet he slits his wrists! Bet he taught you how!” The blonde guy called after me, making the other two laugh loudly. I stopped dead in my tracks, my hair covering my eyes, head down, as everyone near us stopped walking to watch. I bit my lip to keep from crying as memories came flooding back. I clenched my fist and quickly pushed through the crowd who parted easily for me. Echoes of laughter followed me as I rounded the corner and walked into the bathroom. My phone buzzed in my pocket and I set my bag down pulling it out and opening my missed messages.

Jinxx, Jake, and Ashley had all wished me a good day. Andy had asked me how it was going so far. I put my phone back in my pocket and looked at my reflection in the mirror. My skin was still an unnatural pale, my eyes a dull uninterested blue, and my hair hung lifelessly. Sighing I took a deep breath before stepping back into the hall and finding my math room a little further down.

I sat in the back corner as I had before, and kept my eyes down.

“You must be new, hi I’m Zach.” At the desk next to me was a guy with a black ponytail, a strange accent, and a friendly smile. I shook his hand hesitantly.

“I’m Jay.” I managed a small smile.
“Where did you go to school before this?” He asked keeping the conversation going.
“Ohio.” I answered quietly.

“That’s pretty far. I moved here a few years ago from Germany.” I peeked up at him a bit surprised. I could hear his accent, but I wouldn’t have thought it was German.

“That’s cool.” That sounded stupid. “I’ve always thought German was a pretty language.” There that was slightly better...maybe not. I should just stop trying.

“Pretty huh? I’ve heard a lot of adjectives, but never pretty.” He chuckled, and my cheeks burned.
The teacher walked in and the room fell silent.