Southern Proper

Write This Down

She looked fabulous in a black dress, the back dipping dangerously low and the front showing just enough collarbone and chest to be extremely sexy. Her blonde hair was pulled up loosely, and her blue eyes were framed by dark lashes and smoky liner. But Ella couldn’t have cared less about what she looked like at that particular moment—not when it appeared that she had been issued a loss hidden in the clothing of a draw. She didn’t want to a draw—she didn’t want a tie. She wanted to win.

Ella grabbed a glass of champagne and threw back the entire flute in one swift motion. It was the night of the election and she had, in a fabulous and genius publicity stunt, invited the entirety of Jack Young’s campaign to the luxurious party. But that was before he had pulled one over on her and had their district redrawn—giving both the candidates victories. Young would take the newly created 35th, a district filled with primarily working-class blue-collar workers who would surely vote Democrat each and every time. Conner would win the 14th without a problem, and it would take hell freezing over before a Republican would ever lose it. Everything was split. There was no leverage to be won, no leverage to be held—they had lost it and Ella was furious.

“Ella!” she heard her name being called, with Mario waving her over to a group. She strung a smile on her face and wandered over effortlessly.

“I’d like to introduce the woman behind all of this, our campaign strategist, Ella Robertson. Ella, this is Pascal Dupuis, Dan Bylsma, Richard Curry, and Sidney Crosby. “ She smiled politely and shook their hands.

“Pleased to meet y’all. I assume you boys work with Mr. Lemieux?” She asked sweetly. She had no problem winning over anybody—it was the combination of southern charm, classic all-American good looks, and that drawlin’ Texas accent that could probably get her out of murder. It was useful in her line of work, especially when she spoke to donors.

“I coach the Pens, Richard is on the board of directors, and Sid and Pascal here are our big stars—though you probably knew that.” Dan Bylsma said with a laugh.

Mario shook his head. “We’ve been working together for a year now, and Ella hasn’t seen a single hockey game. “ he said with a grin and the group looked taken aback for a second.

“I’m not sure y’all could tell, but I’m a Texas gal and there’s nothing on my television except straight-talk politics, and some good ol’ fashioned American football. “ she said with a gentle, effortless laugh. It was hard not to meet the stare of the younger man in the crowd, brown eyed and handsome with an easy presence.

But her blue eyes didn’t stay on Sidney for long, and she soon found herself staring at Jack Young and Brett DeLaur as the entered the party. Ella felt her cheeks grow hot, and took a deep breath to keep her anger inward.

“They must be here—I assume you and Congressman Young will be on your best behaviours tonight. No fights—I’m afraid there aren’t any referees tonight.” Mario joked, the rest of the group cracking a laugh.

“Now gentlemen, you ought to know one thing— southern ladies never start fights.” She drawled with a smile. Jack gave her a quick smile, his dark eyes meeting hers in an instant. She did not return the gesture, but instead looked back onto her group. “But we do sure know how to finish them. Now if you’ll excuse me.” She said with a grin, making her way over to Young.

“You knew about the redistricting the entire time, didn’t you.” She accused sharply, grabbing another flute of champagne from a waiters tray.

“Ella—you look stunning. Always a pleasure.” The young, handsome Congressman said with a haphazard grin.

“You had me run around, chasing you like a dog without a chain while you knew the election was completely pointless.” She said pointedly, taking a step closer to him.

“Your guy wins, I win. I don’t see the harm in that.” He said and she crossed her arms in front of her chest. “But if it makes you feel better, I only found out yesterday.” He replied easily.

“It’s gerrymandering, Jack. You and I both know both our asses are gonna be torn up by the leadership on the Hill for this stunt.”

“Hey, it wasn’t my idea. Speaker himself called, orchestrated the whole thing with State leadership on both sides of the aisle.” He replied swiftly, taking another step closer to her.

“Well you tell that old son of a—“ she began, noticing Mario coming closer with one of the men from the previous group.

“Congressman, nice to see you.” Mario interrupted with a tight lipped smile. Mario didn’t particularly care for Jack Young, but he was satisfied in the impending outcome of the election—at least with the prospect of not being represented by a democrat in the split district.

“Mr. Lemieux, thank you for the invitation. I was just discussing the unexpected turn of events with Ms. Robertson here.”

“I wouldn’t call it unexpected, Jack, if it was orchestrated by yourself and that two bit Speaker. You know that DeLaur was about as useful on your campaign as tits on a bull, and y’all couldn’t win a primary race in the 14th if it was signed, sealed, and delivered for you.” Ella fumed, clutching the champagne flute.

Mario and the man next to him both laughed, and Mario put his hand on Ella’s shoulder. “As much as I love a spirited conversation, I actually came over here to talk to you about a job offer—Congressman, if you could excuse us?” Mario said smoothly, but Ella didn’t take her eyes off of him as he moved away.

“This is far from over.” She said before turning back to the two men. “Sorry about that. What can I do for you two gentlemen?”

“Senator Lang, you know him?” Mario asked, and Ella frowned. She had recognized the other man as Sidney Crosby, but she wasn’t exactly putting the pieces together.

“God, yes. The GOP has been tryin’ to get him out of that seat the second he was sworn in. Prickly bastard—vindictive as hell.” She replied quickly.

“Prickly and vindictive as he may be, he’s also the ranking member on appropriations, and he’s been controlling the ropes in immigration. “ Ella narrowed her eyes and looked at Sidney. She shifted uncomfortably, that easy smile he wore earlier was markedly absent.

“You were the major contributor to his opponent last election cycle.” She guessed and Mario nodded. “You’re not telling me he’s causing immigration problems for your guys for that.”

“Prickly bastard.” Mario said with a half grin. “And that’s not all. City council, the mayors office, state legislature—they’re all over the Consol and legal cant deal with the political aspect of it all. We weren’t anticipating it to cause so many problems.” He explained and Ella nodded slowly. “Sid is two weeks away from being kicked out of the country because of Lang. We need a political liaison. “

“I—I’m willing to help y’all, that’s a given. But we just won an election and I’m Chief of Staff for Congressman Murphy’s office.” She was a little speechless, she didn’t know how it would even work.

“You don’t need to be in Pittsburgh full time, two days a week. We’ll start you off at 100,000 and there’s a great office in it for you. “ Lemieux said.

“Christmas bonus isn’t bad.” Sid added with a smile and Ella laughed, shaking her head.

“Well. How could I refuse that?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Write This Down - George Strait