Southern Proper

In My Head

“Thanks, Bill. It was a tough campaign and I’m disappointed that it ended up like this—but overall, we’re just happy that the fine folks of the 14th are represented by who they voted for.” Ella Robertson said into the camera, listening into the earpiece that some technician had stuck into her ear five minutes earlier.

“Ella, you’ve had an impressive run with Lestman—your previous candidate, Congressman Jack Young, won with an overwhelming margin. What made you turn around and lead his Republican opposition this cycle?” Fox pundit Bill O’Reilly asked and Ella smiled into the camera.

“Running candidates for Lestman and running candidates based on my own personal political ideology are two different stories, Bill. Representative-elect Murphy has the kind of gumption that sad to say, Congressmen Young and the rest of the democrats have been missing since Kennedy was in the White House. Congressman Young might be part of the Kennedy family, but he certainly lacks the spine to make the tough choices. Honestly, it was a no brainer.” Ella replied easily, leaning back slightly as she fired the shot.

Conner Murphy watched behind the camera, wearing last nights ensemble of black slacks and a baby blue button down rolled up at the sleeves town-hall style. He grinned up at his chief-of-staff, perfectly poised on a barstool in front of a big blue screen that had the words “MURPHY FOR PITTSBURGH” written on it in big red and white letters.

“Well you’re right about that. Glad to have you back on the right, Ella. Now we’re going to go to break, but when we come back, the latest from the White House NSA scandal. You won’t believe it, stay tuned.” Bill said, addressing his viewers before they went on commercial. “Thanks Ella, you did great. We need to have you back on as often as possible—viewers love you.” He said to her now on the television screen and Ella shrugged modestly.

“I love being on, always good to stir up interest.” She said with a smile and Bill nodded.

“Hey—any plans on having your guy run for senate?” he asked and Ella just grinned boldly.

“Now Mr. O’Reilly, we just won an election three days ago. We’re thinking about governing our district.” She answered smoothly and Bill laughed.

“The cameras are off, Ms. Robertson. This is strictly off the record.”

“You bet your ass we’re going for Lang’s seat. Thanks Bill.” She said, removing the ear piece and hopping off the stool.

“You know that we have no interest in pursuing Senator Langs seat, right?” Conner Murphy said swiftly, the two of them on the move through their former campaign headquarters. Ella grabbed a binder off a desk and flipped it open, grabbing a highlighter off another desk as she moved through the rows of cubicles. A few interns still buzzed around the desks, picking up phones with a swift “Representative-elect Murphy’s office”. Nobody skipped a beat, as if they had been practicing saying that since the campaign begun.

“Conner, you’re a charmin’ 26 year old Freshman Congressman who just won his district in a landslide. Your career doesn’t end in the House of Representatives.” Ella answered expertly, the issue so matter of fact to her.

“I would have been happy in City Council, but you convinced me to run and—“

“You’ve always been prepared to settle. You’re a fine public servant and our government could use more people like you. Don’t be so selfish.” She said, interrupting whatever train of thought he was on. They were both still moving, and Ella highlighted furiously in that binder while they walked on to the front door of the building.

She stopped walking right before they reached the entrance, and she thrust the binder at his chest. He scrambled to grab it and she stood there waiting for him to skim the first few highlighted pages. She wore a bored expression—she knew what she was doing, and it was time that he invested a little more trust in her.

“What is this?” he asked, flipping through the pages.

“All the legislation you can sponsor or co-sponsor right now that would benefit your district. The majority whip sent this to me in the morning, and I highlighted the pieces of legislation that we could easily attach small riders to without a problem. “ she said, watching his expression go from confused to astounded. “Still feeling nostalgic for City Council, Congressman?” The incessant buzzing of her phone interrupted Ella, and she slid her finger on the screen to answer.

“Ella Robertson.” She answered quickly, waving back to Murphy before turning around on her heels and walking out the door into the street.

“Ella? This is Sidney. Sidney Crosby. We met the other night, I play for the Penguins.” Came the voice on the other line. Ella immediately perked up and swiftly sat herself in front of a cubicle.

“Hey there Sid! How’s it goin’?” she asked, moving down the street to the car briskly. There were still some photographers lingering as the Congressman was packing up to head for D.C, and she wasn’t particularly in the mood for any interruptions.

“Not bad—are you busy? I just got a weird packet from immigration. They’ve officially denied extended residence, but they sent paperwork to repeal.” He asked reluctantly, as if though he didn’t want to seem like he was bothering her. In all honesty though, she was excited to see him. There was something about him that she found appealing. Maybe it was the fact that he probably couldn’t separate the D triple C from the NRCC, and was one of the few men she knew who couldn’t name every current member of the House of Representatives. Whatever it was, she had been have a hard time brushing the feeling aside.

“Are you at the Consol?”

“Yeah, third floor. It really doesn’t look urgent—you don’t have to rush over here or anything.” He replied and Ella laughed.

“I absolutely do. I’ll be there in ten.” She said, ending the call. The driver pulled the door open on the sleek black towncar, and she promptly got inside.

When Ella walked into the Consol, flashing her brand new badge and swiftly making her way to the elevator, she couldn’t help but think that this was the strangest introduction possible to brand new job. Nothing Mario ever did was slow, but this was the fastest start to a job that she ever had. The elevator opened to the third floor and she saw Sid lingering in the lobby, a manila folder in his hands. “Hello Ms. Robertson.” The secretary remarked pleasantly, catching Ella by surprise. She didn’t realize that people would already know who she was—or even be expecting her.

“Hello.” She replied back, albeit cautiously. She looked at Sid and smiled politely, giving him a nod in greeting. “Mr. Crosby. Shall we?” she said, directing him to where she thought her office was. She sincerely hoped that she could subtly read the numbers on the doors. “Is that the file they sent you?” she asked and he handed it over promptly. The two of them walked briskly, her eyes focused on the papers in front of her. “This is such crap.” She said offhandedly, flipping through the pages.

“You missed your office.” He pointed out with a crooked grin and she paused, turning around to see where he was standing.

“Oh. Right. Sorry, I was distracted.” She replied and corrected herself. It was bigger than her office for Lestman, with an even better view. Mario seemed to always outdo himself. She sat in her plush leather chair, directing Sid to take a seat in front of the large oak desk.

“As I was saying before—“

“This is crap?” he answered for her.

“Every single longhorn in Texas couldn’t produce enough damn bullshit to make this case.” She said, throwing the file on her desk. “Lang doesn’t actually believe that he can get you kicked out of the country. That’s not his aim.”

“So what’s the point?” Sid asked, not completely following her train of thought. Ella often forgot that ruthless scheming was not as overt to everyone as it was to those who were well practiced in Washington games.

“You can’t work for a U.S organization until your paperwork is fully cleared. We can most likely repeal and win, but that’ll take two months minimum and you can’t play that entire time.” She said, reaching for her phone. “He’s trying to choke Mario with red tape.”

“And there’s nothing we can do about that? I mean, I have a contract—“ he wanted to know, and Ella turned on her computer.

“Lucy, put the Congressman on the phone.” She said into the receiver. “This is Ella Robertson.” There was a brief moment of silence and then there he was. Ella hurriedly pressed the speakerphone button before setting down the receiver.

“I’ve heard more from you in the last week than I had in a year. I’m one lucky boy.” Jack Young’s cocky voice registered on the other line and Ella rolled her eyes.

“I need you to answer a question.” She said blankly. “Are you still in Pittsburgh?”

“The answer is always yes for you. But in all seriousness, I am still in Pittsburgh.” He paused and Ella could practically see him grinning. “Why, you finally gonna take me up on that offer for dinner?”

“Are you drunk? I need to know who Lang knows on House appropriations.” She asked and the pause was a lot longer this time.

“Why are you asking?” he replied, and she could tell that grin was wiped right off his face.

“Curiosity. I’m going over legislation with Murphy now, and it looks like Lang is going to be our biggest roadblock—and yours.”
“I didn’t bankroll his opponent in the midterms like your boss did.” Jack replied without missing a beat.

“No, but half the projects on Congressman Murphy’s list don’t just benefit the 14th. We’re a split district now, it’s time to play nice.” More silence on the phone. Ella looked at Sid and shrugged.

“Brushwick, Heatherton, and Wells.” He answered reluctantly, and there was another hesitation. “I need something from Murphy. Can you meet me today?”

Now it was Ella’s turn to hesitate. “Fine. But only because I have another favour to ask you. Bye Jack.” She said, hanging up the call.

“I’m new to all this. What does that mean?” Sid asked as Ella typed away furiously.

“It means we know who Senator Lang has that’s causing the hold up, and we know who to get to. Congressman Young is on the appropriations committee.” Ella said, pausing for a second.

“You know I started watching the news. You’re everywhere.” Sidney remarked casually and she looked up at him. “I didn’t know you ran Congressman Young his last term.”

“He fired me. It’s complicated—but I found a better candidate. Plus, I’m not a democrat. The GOP has been harping me about party loyalty forever.” Ella explained. She stopped typing. “You don’t have to worry about it, Sid. You’re going to play—I’m good at what I do.” She said and he cracked a smile.

“Oh I don’t doubt it. Mario calls you a pit bull. I just know you guys are moving into D.C and I don’t—“

“—this is my job too.” Ella interrupted him. “I know you’re Canadian, but you don’t need to apologize for making me work for my salary.” She said with a smile. “Plus, I want Lang’s seat. If anything, you’re doing me a favour. I can lessen his influence without seeming like I’m already planning a coup. “ she said.

“I don’t think pit bull does you justice. Maybe ruthless dictator.“ he replied with a laugh and Ella just flipped her blonde hair back nonchalantly.

“It’s just how we get things done in Texas. Y’all Northerners just need a little ass kicking to get yourselves in gear.”

“I’m Canadian, so I don’t exactly apply” he said with a chuckle.

“An extreme northerner.” She said with an easy, gentle laugh before it was cut short by a tall, figure in her doorframe. Jack Young ran his hand through his dark hair and gave her a boyish half grin, as if you he had caught her doing something she shouldn’t have been. Sid got up immediately and Ella leaned over her desk, staring Jack down.

“Well, thanks. I really appreciate it.” He said with a nod, moving out of her door. “Congressman.”

“Mr. Crosby. Great game the other night.” Jack replied amiably. It was hard to dislike him, but Ella had no trouble.

“Thanks.” Sid said before leaving. Ella suddenly wished she hadn’t let him leave so abruptly.

Why on earth she agreed to a one-on-one with Jack, she had absolutely no clue.
♠ ♠ ♠
In My Head - Mayday Parade (Jason DeRulo cover)