Status: Finished :(

Best Friends Means...

two

"Oh come on, I remember the time mum caught you two swimming in the pool at like, three in the morning. You guys were ten years old! She was furious!" Gemma shouted out over the sounds of the bar.

"It was never my idea to do these things. It was all her." Harry pointed his thumb and me. I dramatically gasped and shook my head, finishing off my third beer. Everyone else was on their second, but I knew I had to drink a few more if I wanted to have a fun time tonight.

"I'm going to get another, would you like one?" I asked the table full of our old friends and Harry's sister. Shane held up his finger that he wanted one more, and Harry started to stand up.

"I'll help you carry those." He said, following closely behind me.

"I don't need help, Harry. Why do you think I need help?"

"Because you've had three beer. You probably can't even hold one."

"I'm not the lightweight I once was. Okay, maybe I am still a little bit of a lightweight but I drink more often than I used to, and I can hold my alcohol now, alright?" I turned to the bar and ordered two more beer. Harry handed the barmaid his card. "You're not paying for mine. And one of those was Shane's!"

"Doesn't matter, I'm paying your tab too."

"Don't think you can come back here and flaunt your money and pay for all of my drinks! Stop." Harry's mouth formed to a straight line.

"I'm not doing that. And I can't believe you'd accuse me of that. I'm just trying to pay for your drinks because you left your wallet in your other bag. And because you're my best friend and I like to pay for my friends drinks." He grabbed the two full glasses and walked back to our booth, and placed them down on the table. Shane offered to pay Harry but he said really it was no problem.

I silently sipped on mine, knowing I had upset Harry. I grabbed my purse to look in it, and sure enough, I had forgotten my wallet. I felt someone's hot breath on my ear, and chills ran down my neck. "Told you I was right." He smirked and gave me a kiss on the cheek.

"So, tell me about things with Kendall, Harry. Last you told me, things were getting pretty serious?" Gemma asked, leaning over the table. Shane and Jake leaned in to listen to our conversation too.

"I really don't feel like discussing this tonight, Gemma. We can talk about it later."

"Come on, no one's going to spill anything." Gemma egged Harry on but I could tell he was getting frustrated.

"We're doing really well, I'd say." Harry's slumped over shoulders stiffened as he sat back into the booth. "I met her family before I left, they're actually pretty awesome."

"Oooh, so did you meet Kim?" Gemma was obviously more interested in the rest of the family than Kendall, which made me laugh.

"Yeah, I met her a while ago. She's nice. Kanye, too. The whole family is actually really nice. They asked me to be on the show when they record, but I really don't want to be."

"Why not?! That would be so cool to be on television with them!"

"I don't want that kind of publicity." Harry had his large hands wrapped around his beer, drawing lines into the perspiration coming off the cup.

"Well, then you shouldn't have started dating Kendall Jenner." Gemma sat back into her booth, sensing her brother's avoidance of the conversation. "So, you." She looked at me, winking. "Those shoes."

All of the boys turned the opposite way and started talking about something else. They got up and walked over to a corner to play pool where I could see Harry high fiving a few other guys I recognized from our old school.

"I knew you'd love them! My best friend owns a boutique in London and she got them for me for Christmas last year. Aren't they perfect?!"

"Ugh. I want a pair. See if she can get me some." Gemma giggled into her cup as she emptied hers. "I'm going to get another, yours is almost out. Want me to get you one?" I nodded, and took out my phone to fiddle with it as I waited on her. My vision was starting to become a little blurrier as I browsed Twitter, seeing a tweet from Harry that made me smile. "Perfect day. Perfect girl." I favorited the tweet, then looked up from my phone because if I held it for too long I'd end up drunk tweeting a reply that would call attention to myself. I looked back up and Harry was looking at his phone, he smiled, then glanced over at me and winked.

My face was starting to warm up, but I couldn't tell if it was from what just happened, or if I was finally feeling the effects of the alcohol. Gemma finally came back with our two beer and I had finished mine by the time she was back.

"Stressed out? I don't think I've ever seen you drink this much, love."

I sighed, "Yeah. Just work is getting a little crazy. I needed a weekend away. Because working a boutique is sooooo rough." She laughed at my comment. "How's school? Wait- Didn't you just graduate?"

"Yes! Just a few months ago."

"Congratulations! I remember, Harry wanted to hang out some that weekend but I was stuck working late. It's a shame we haven't been able to see each other in so long, I really hate that."

"He hates it more than you, I promise. Every time he came home, he'd always drive the long way out of the neighborhood to pass by your house. I think he hoped you were lying to him and you'd actually be home."

"Stop it, Gem. Really?" I frowned at her words.

"Yeah. He told me there's just no one else he can feel comfortable opening up to like he does to you. He tries with Louis but it's hard because sometimes he feels like Louis judges him, even though he doesn't. But with you not in school now you should be able to visit him on tour, yeah?'

I nodded, taking a few swigs of my fresh beer. "Yeah, hopefully! Depends on how work goes. Kaitlin is looking for another part time girl to pick up some shifts here and there. She's interviewed a few girls and I think she's finally found one. So once we get her trained, work won't be as stressful for me. I think we're planning on going to fashion week to look at some collections for what we want to sell in the store, and she and another girl will have to be able to take over the store then."

"Ugh, that would be amazing to get to go to fashion week, I am so jealous!" Gemma exclaimed, tossing her head back. "If you need any assistance in that trip, PLEASE, let me know."

"I'm sure you could come with us! You'd get along great with Kaitlin. Usually just she and I go, but we'd love to have you come too. I'll talk to her about it when I get back to London." I smiled, swigging my beer again. My glass was becoming more empty, but the mug started feeling heavier. "That mug feels a lot heavier than the last one."

Gemma laughed, "I think you're just drunk. Really drunk. Maybe you should stop?" Maybe I should, but I really didn't want to. I wasn't feeling the looseness that I longed for. When I drank, I didn't have to think about anything. How much I missed my dad, how much I really actually missed Jack- the thought of Jack reminded me that I needed to text him.

Hey, Jack. I sent the text and placed my phone on the table.

"Probably. I'll be fine, though, if I can just have one more!" I held up the finger one and poked Gemma's nose which made her laugh again. She had Harry's same laugh. Their laugh just made everyone happy. Gemma excused herself from the table to go to the bathroom as I felt my phone vibrate. I slid my finger heavily across the screen to unlock my phone.

Hey babe. How is everything?
Heavy. Everything is really heavy.
Where are you?
Why, so you can just stalk me? I was just letting you know I missed you, Jack. So much. I'm sorry I was such a bitch. I just had to leave school because being around all of those people there just made me drink more, and I was scared.
So you thought leaving to go live a life of solitude where you could drink alone in your flat was better than being surrounded by people who love you and cared about you? Where are you? Are you with someone? Or are you alone?
I'm out wiht my friensd. Durnk, duh. And I'm in Homes Chaple.

I placed my phone back down on the table because my typing was becoming worse and I didn't want to make anymore of a fool of myself right now. Harry and the boys were still playing pool, and Gemma had stopped to talk to a few girls. After surveying my surroundings again, I went back to my even blurrier phone.

Let me know when you get home, alright? And I miss you too. Maybe we can talk when you're back in London? I'll cook your favorite pasta for you, babe. Be careful.
xx

That was all I sent back to him, because honestly, that's all I felt I could type. I finished my last beer and pushed my glass in front of me, but it fell over making a loud noise on the table. Harry had been watching, and he rushed over to make sure I was okay.

"You alright, El? How many have you had?! Your eyes look bloodshot."

"Just like, five. I could have one more, I really could. I feel great."

"Five?! You're shit faced, babe. I know how your tolerance is. And those mugs are huge. Do you wanna go home? I've only had one, I'm good to drive."

"No, I wanna stay and have another beer with my best friend. One beer, Haz? I guess being a popstar turned you into a pussy." I got closer to his face, and his green eyes were the color of emeralds. They were staring at me, his face stoic and serious.

"We're leaving." Harry started scooting me out of the booth.

"Harry, no! I haven't even been able to talk to Jake and Shane!"

"Well I did, and I think it's time we get you home, El. You're going to get sick tomorrow if you don't stop now."

"Just let me have another, then we can leave."

Harry pulled me in by my shoulders close to him. "One more. And talk to Shane and Jake, and then we're going. But you're getting a glass, not one of those mugs. And I'll order it, and close your tab for you, alright?"

I nodded, and walked over to Shane and Jake. I sat on one of the bar stools near the pool table, my back to the rest of the bar. I decided to watch the game between the three boys. Harry had walked over and was talking with Gemma, I figured he'd be a while.

"He's really not that different, is he, El?" Jake walked over to me as he watched Shane hit the next ball.

"Huh?"

"Harry. I thought he'd be this cocky douchebag all of these magazines portray him to be, but he's really not. He's the exact same."

"Yeah, he really is. I was surprised too."

"You look really nice tonight too, by the way. Even though your face just screams that you're plastered right now, you still look really beautiful." Jake's words made me blush, but I was feeling a little uncomfortable.

"I am not plastered! Everyone says I am, but I'm not!" I was losing my balance on the bar stool and Jake wrapped his arm around my waist to steady me. "Okay, maybe a little."

He laughed and gave my hip a squeeze, but kept his arm there in case I was going to topple over again. I was starting to feel really heavy headed so I put my head on Jake's shoulder as I watch Shane win the pool game, sinking all of his striped balls into the individual pockets. He was doing trick shots that took way too much time.

"You okay?" A voice came from my right as a beer was placed in my hand. "Do you really need that?"

I sat up, removing my head from Jake's shoulder. "It'll keep me from falling asleep on the way home, yes I need it!" I chugged the beer quickly, and handed the empty glass back to Harry. "We can leave whenever, Haz." I hopped off the bar stool but Jake kept his hand on my hip, I thought he wanted a hug so I gave him one, but he lingered a little too long.

"Let me know next time you come home, or I'll come visit you in London while Harry's home."

"Yeah, that sounds good, Jake. We'll keep in touch." I turned around and out of Jake's grip to wave bye to Shane. Harry placed his hand on the small of my back as we made our way out of the bar. "Where's Gemma?"

"She's going to a club with a few of her girlfriends, they were all just meeting up here first."

"Oh." As we stepped out of the bar, I stumbled to the side but Harry's arms caught me. I clutched onto his as he helped me back up. "When did you get so strong?"

He was smirking, "When I hit puberty, these muscles just came out of nowhere."

"Kind of like that jawbone you've got going on?" I said it before I could even think, and put my hands over my mouth.

Harry let out a roar of laughter, "Where did that even come from?" He asked as he helped me into his Range Rover. I watched him as he shook his head, smiling and walking over to the driver's side of the car. "There's heated seats if you're cold. I know you always get cold when you're sleepy."

"Thanks, but I'm not sleepy."

"Oh, yeah? Then why were you ready to go?" Harry pulled out of the parking lot, looking both ways. He turned right instead of left, and I furrowed my eyebrows.

I shrugged, "I just wanted to get out of there. Where are we going?"

"You'll see."

"Haz, I'm really drunk. I just want to get home, honestly."

"Why waste a good buzz?"

"Because you're not drunk with me! I feel silly."

"Then you shouldn't have gotten so wasted, love." Harry placed his hand on my leg and patted it a few times before returning it back to the steering wheel. We pulled up at one of the few McDonald's we had in town. "Figured you needed something greasy to soak up all that alcohol if you're not wanting to go anywhere else. Fries?"

"And a coke."

"How about a water?" Harry smirked while I sighed. We always had this argument, but Harry knew what was better for me so I didn't even argue back with him. Coke would just make me more hungover tomorrow.

I sat quietly in the passenger seat, twiddling my thumbs as Harry ordered two fries and two waters. We pulled into an empty parking lot to sit and eat our greasy food.

"Surely you didn't get those muscles from eating food like this?" I said, shoving a long, salty fry into my mouth.

"Surely not, but every once in a while isn't bad. I'll make an exception for you. Every time you get drunk all you want is McDonald's fries."

"You haven't hardly ever been around me drunk." I stated, eating two fries at a time.

"I have a few times when we were too young. But every time recently you've been drunk you just text me saying you want me to bring you fries in my Range Rover." He snorted as he took a big chug of his water and I blushed, vaguely remembering what he was talking about. "God, you're so cute when you're drunk. I missed just being able to be myself with you."

"Why are you being so flirty with me, Harry?" Harry didn't break his concentration on his fries, its almost like he didn't even hear my question. "You used to throw cheeky comments at me but never like this before?"

He shrugged, "It makes you smile, and I like making you happy. I know you haven't been happy lately and I try cheering you up on the phone but I know it's not the same. Does it make you feel uncomfortable?"

I shook my head, "No, not really. Jake was making me feel really uncomfortable tonight. He's never been like that with me before."

"Really? He was saying the last few times you guys have gone out that you were usually talking to him more. He actually was saying he was thinking about asking you on a date."

"Jake!? What?! No. Not unless I don't remember it. He's not my type at all. I must've just been really drunk, I don't remember ever getting flirty with him." I stole some of Harry's ketchup despite him trying to swat my hand away.

"Hm. Odd."

"I'll just avoid him when I drink, I guess." I drank a few sips of my water and placed it back in the center console of the car. "You don't have to continuously flatter me to make me happy, Harry. Just being around you makes me happy."

He smiled and one of his dimples started to show, "Good. I'll lay off that then, I know it makes you uncomfortable."

"How do you know that?" I threw the empty carton of fries into the bag and took Harry's from his lap and placed it in the bag.

"I just know." Harry said, starting the car back up and pulling out of the parking lot. The rest of the ride home was quiet, not much was said between us except how good of a time we had had tonight.

When we pulled up to my mother's house, I was losing my buzz and starting to get sleepy. My head was resting on the window of Harry's car, and I had my feet curled up in the seat.

"You ready to go in or are you just going to sleep in my car?"

I laughed, and stretched. "I guess I'll go in. These seats are so comfy." I hopped out, and Harry met me at the front of his car.

"Tonight was a lot of fun. Dinner at my place tomorrow night? We can stay in and watch a movie, if you're up for it. Your pick."

I leaned into Harry's wide chest and hugged him. "You say my pick knowing that I'm going to choose Love Actually, but that sounds wonderful. As long as you tell your mum to make her famous spaghetti."

I heard a low chuckle erupt from Harry's chest. "Sounds like a plan." He kissed the top of my head and stepped back from our embrace. "Night, El. Let me know when you've gotten in and that you're gonna be alright."

"Night, Haz!" I said, waving bye and walking into my house. My mother had left the staircase light on but no other lights. I turned the light off once I reached the top of the steps, and sunk down on my bed as soon as the door to my bedroom shut. I felt the room spinning but I knew I needed to wash my face and brush my teeth. I groaned and walked into my bathroom that was attached to my room and got myself ready for bed. I climbed back into bed after changing into pajamas. Just as I was falling asleep, I heard my phone ringing but rolled over and decided whoever was calling could wait until the morning.
♠ ♠ ♠
you guys are awesome! already have 7 subscribers and 2 recommendations! thanks so much for the early love, I've never had that with just ONE chapter posted, so I figured I'd post another chapter for you guys! comment and let me know what you guys think... am I moving it too fast? would you like me to speed anything up? is there anything you'd like to see in this story?! let me know what you all think, please and happy valentine's day! :)