Status: Finished :(

Best Friends Means...

four

"You spent the night?" I stopped on the next to the last bottom step as I heard Anne calling from the kitchen. "I would've made you breakfast if I would've known that."

"Yeah, we fell asleep watching movies. It's really fine, I'll probably just grab some cereal at home and then head out, I've gotta get back to London..."

"Oh, sweetie." Anne walked over to me, kitchen towel still in her hand. "You're welcome to come back whenever. It was lovely seeing you, you look so good. Well, not with your makeup smudged all over your face, but you know what I mean." I laughed and gave her a hug, realizing where Harry got his gift of hugs from.

"Tell Haz I left when he wakes up, my phone died overnight and it charges slow in the car."

"Will do. Have a safe trip back." I said goodbye to Anne as I walked in the direction of my house.

I picked my phone up out of my pocket to look at it. It wasn't dead, I just didn't want to face Harry this morning. Truth be told I wanted to get back to London to have dinner with Jack tonight. He had invited me last night, and I stupidly agreed when I read the text at 2 in the morning during my bathroom break. Harry didn't seem fond of me seeing him again, so I wanted to see him before Harry came back to London for the majority of his break. Once I reached my house, I knocked on the door, and waited for my mom to open the door. Just as I was reaching to knock again, one of her best friends opened the door.

"Well look at who it is! I haven't seen you in ages." My mom's best friend was named Caroline. She had beautiful short brown hair and warm hazel eyes.

"I know, miss Caroline! How's Ireland? Are you in town much longer? It's a shame, I'm just about to head home."

"Actually your mom and I were about to leave to go get some breakfast, and then spend the rest of the day shopping. Would you like to join us?"

"I really need to be getting on the road..." I said as my mom walked into the living room.

"What do you have that you're leaving so urgent? Is everything okay with you and Harry?"

"What- Yeah, its fine. I'm meeting a friend for dinner." I said as I ran up the steps to get my bags. I could hear my mum and Caroline chatting below me.

"What friend?"

"You don't know them!"

"Name?" I sighed, not answering. "El. What's his name?" She appeared in the doorway.

"I'm meeting Jack, alright?"

My mom sighed and shook her head, and walked out of my room. "Well, let me know when you've made it back to London." I heard her mumble from halfway down the stairs.

I checked my phone, which had charged a little more since I had it plugged up at home, grabbed my bags and made my way out the door.

Driving gave me plenty of time to think about what happened between Harry and I. Something I really didn't want to think about. I knew I was going to have to distance myself from the flirty boy who was my best friend. So many friendships end and ruin from when two best friends get together. I refused to let that happen to us. Just as if he knew I was thinking about him, my phone started ringing and his name popped up on my phone.

"Hey." I answered quietly.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing?"

"Where'd you go?" He sounded worried, but I couldn't tell if it was worry or if he had just woken up.

"I'm almost back to London."

"You couldn't tell me goodbye?" His voice was slowly shifting to sad.

"You were sleeping so soundly, Haz. I didn't want to wake you. Besides, I'll see you soon."

"Tonight?"

"I can't tonight, I've got to meet some friends."

"For drinks?"

"Probably."

"Then I'm coming." Harry's voice had changed from worried, to sad, to concerned, to strict so quickly that I didn't even realize it had happened. "No arguing. Where are you going and who are you meeting?"

I sighed. "Jack wanted to meet for dinner, so its just he and I."

"So... it's like a date?"

"Yeah, and I'd prefer if you didn't come along. I'm not going to drink much."

"You have no self control, babe. I won't come along but please try to control yourself, alright? I'm having to drive in tonight to London anyway so if you need me, I'll send you the address to my flat."

"Like anythings going to happen, Jack's the one who tried getting me to rehab the first time."

"You never know, but I'd rather you have it just in case. I'll let you get off the phone, have a safe drive. And have fun tonight." My heart ached at how forced Harry sounded when he spoke the last sentence.

"Yeah, same to you. Bye, Harry." Click. Harry didn't even tell me bye. In all the years of us being friends, he's always told me bye. I wonder if he was thinking about how he felt about me too?

---

I looked at myself in the mirror, pleased with my outfit I had chosen for the night. It was a beautiful dress that Kaitlin had gotten at a designer sale for herself, but it was too big on her so she gave it to me. I cherished this dress, I hardly ever wore it. I wasn't sure of my intentions with the date with Jack tonight, but he told me to dress nice, so he must've been taking me somewhere fancy. I heard the front door open, so I slid on my red soled gold shoes (another Kaitlin present) and walked out to greet whoever had walked through the door.

"You look beautiful!" Kaitlin exclaimed as soon as she saw me. "You're already leaving me? Before you can tell me about your weekend?"

"This weekend was great, really. I'm glad I got to see him and I'm really glad he's back in London. But... Jack wanted to take me to dinner tonight so he should be here any minute to pick me up."

"Is that why his car was sitting out there when I got out?"

"Probably. Black convertible?" She nodded, and I looked through my clutch to find my phone. Sure enough he had sent two text messages. I replied quickly, letting him know I'd be down in a minute. "I'll be back soon. If I need rescuing, I'll call you?"

"Don't call me, I've got a hot date tonight. Gavin finally asked me out!" She squealed as she ran back to her bedroom. I shut and locked the door to our flat behind me and walked out to meet Jack at his car.

"Well look what the cat dragged in." I said, admiring how good Jack looked tonight. His ginger hair had been cut differently from the last time I saw him. It was cut shorter on the sides, and in a small quiff on top of his head. He had slimmed down a good bit too, his black pants showing that off.

"I don't even know what to say to you. You look absolutely stunning." He walked over to my side of the car, opened the door and let me in. Then walked over to his side of the car and got in. "And this isn't a date, you say?"

I giggled, "No. Just two friends catching up. Figured we should catch up before you cooked me my favorite pasta."

"Well then, you should have worn a different dress." He said, as we pulled out of the parking spot to drive off to our destination.

What a surprise, he picked the first place we ever went on a date in London to eat at tonight. I almost rolled my eyes as we were walking up to the hostess that used to always seat us. I had avoided the restaurant completely ever since we broke up, not wanting to ever really think about him again.

"Oh! We haven't seen you two in a while! How are you?"

"Great-" Jack started but I interrupted.

"Not together anymore, just two friends having dinner." I clarified for her, and Jack rolled his eyes back at me.

"We probably could've gotten a free dessert or something." He grumbled as we followed the hostess to our seats. Jack pulled out my seat for me and I sat down, watching him sit down. "We'll both have waters." He told the hostess, who I assume would tell our waiter. "How's everything?"

I knew what he was implying, but I wasn't going there with him. Yet. "Alright I guess. Drove home to see Harry since he's back for a few months. It was wonderful getting to see him again."

"Yeah? How long is he back for?"

"A few months. Like I just said." The waitress had brought our waters and placed them on the table, and asked if we were ready to order. I knew what I wanted, I hadn't had their grilled salmon in ages and I always craved it.

"She'll have the grilled salmon, steamed vegetables. No tomatoes on her salad. And I'll have..." I didn't even listen to the rest of his order because I couldn't believe that he just had the audacity to assume that's what I wanted to eat.

"I didn't want that to eat."

"Well that's what you're getting. You always get that. Why would you change it up now?"

"Because I'm different." I took a swig of my water, and heavily placed it back down on the counter, wishing it would turn into a glass of wine.

"How different? You just chugged that water like it was alcohol. You called me drunk the other night. What's happened to you? Did Harry make you drink?"

"No one, and I repeat, no one makes me drink. It is my choice to get fucked up if I want, Jack. Stop making Harry out to be the bad guy."

"I'm sure you've been making me out to be the bad guy this whole time, though."

"Actually, no, I haven't. I broke up with you because you don't deserve to be with a train wreck such as myself. And I've told people that you were just too good for me, so don't go and assume a damn thing I've said about you, Jack. You really were a wonderful boyfriend. You just tried to push me to be sober and I wasn't ready. I'm still not ready. I'm getting there, but-"

"And by then, no one's going to be there to help you out. Your dear old Haz will be on tour as always, so you'll just drink yourself into an oblivion. But maybe that's what you want." He paused and looked behind me as the waiter brought us a basket of bread. I had already lost my appetite, and had a mind to just get up and leave right now, but I'd at least try to make it to the meal.

"So this is what you wanted to do Jack? Bring me back to our first date and pretty much just make me recite my break up speech to you? You thought because I'm sober I'd feel any differently?" I took another sip of water.

"Yeah, actually." And as soon as the water made it into my mouth, a little spurt out all in front of me, wetting the floral centerpiece, and our table cloth. "I was hoping we could talk things out and see if we could work out again. I really want to help you get better, babe." His hand reached out for mine but I swatted it away.

"Jack, no. I don't want your help. When I need help, I'll get it. When I want help, I'll get it. So just fuck off." I said, taking another sip of water, almost emptying my glass. Within a few seconds, the waiter was back and refilling my glass. "I'd like a double jack and diet please."

Jack was glaring at me across the table. He rolled his eyes and sighed. We sat in silence until the waiter returned my drink to me from the bar. I chugged half of it without even tasting the alcohol travel through my mouth.

"Better? You're acting like a child."

"Getting there." I didn't say much as I buttered a piece of the warm bred and placed it in my mouth, chewing and delighting myself in its doughy goodness. "Now I'm better." I took another sip of my brown drink. "Sorry about that."

"So we can have an actual conversation now?"

"Probably."

"Do you miss me?" Jack asked, bluntly.

"Yeah, honestly. I miss having someone care about me in the way that you always cared about me. But Jack, you were so overbearing. I didn't feel like I could breathe. You were too serious too quick for me."

"I'm sorry I didn't go partying every night like you wanted to."

"I don't mean like that. I mean, that was something too. You always wanted to stay at home and never go out. I can't work like that. I know I was going out too often but every once in a while it would've been nice to go out with you."

"That's just not my thing. I miss-"

"Jack, we're not going to work out. This dinner shouldn't be you trying to prove that you'll change for me. I miss you, yes. I miss having a companion, yes. I miss having someone to wake up to almost every morning and I miss having someone to tell goodnight every night. But I don't miss 'us.' 'We' didn't work out at all, Jack. You're too good for me. And I don't deserve you by any means. I don't know what it'll take for you to accept that. I don't want 'us' back. I'm sorry that I drunk text you and got your hopes up." I knew I had just broken his heart, but it had to be done. I silently stood up, and kissed him on the cheek. "Jack, I can't sit here anymore, it's not right. Here's money for my dinner."

Jack just sat there, staring ahead, not saying anything. I walked out of the restaurant and walked a few blocks before I decided to hail a cab. I remembered Harry would be home by tonight, so I decided to head to his place before I went back home to tell him about dinner with Jack. It only took a few minutes to get to his flat from the restaurant. I paid the cab and got out, walking up the front steps. A few lights were on inside, and I heard a few people talking inside. I knocked on the door, and a few minutes later a boy I recognized as Louis opened the door.

"Uh, who are you looking for?"

"Not you! Harry here?"

"Who are you?"

"Elle."

"OH, so you're the infamous Elle? Come in, let me see if he's done in the shower yet." Louis let me in and shut the door behind him. "You look lovely tonight, by the way." I thanked him quietly and walked into the flat where the rest of One Direction were. I had met them all a long time ago right before they went off after X Factor, but I guess Louis didn't remember.

"Oi! Elle! So glad to finally see you after all these years of Harry talking about you. Louis forgets everything, don't be offended by him." Liam walked over to me, enveloping me in a hug. "You do look lovely, by the way. Thought you had a date tonight?"

"I did, it... Didn't go well? Figured I could stop by and tell Harry about it but it seems as if he's busy with you guys tonight so I'll probably just stick around a minute then go home."

"Nonsense! We're all going out tonight, you should come." My stomach sank at Niall's suggestion. I really shouldn't embarrass myself in front of Harry's band mates.

"I'll have to think about it." I said as I watched Harry march down the stairs in his black skinny jeans, white tank top and his boots. Following him on the stairs was... Kendall?

"Elle, are you alright?" Harry rushed over to me, hugging me. I could feel Kendall glaring at me.

"Yeah, can we just... Go outside for a minute?" I motioned towards the door before I shot a glance over at Kendall.

"Sure, come on." Harry led me out of his flat with his hand on the small of my back, and we walked out to his front steps and sat on the top step.

"What in the bloody hell is she doing here?!"

"She has to come to the meeting tomorrow. She has no idea I'm breaking it off tomorrow. It's going to be brilliant. I wish you could come see the look on her face." He leaned in to give me a kiss on the cheek, but I pushed him off. "What? You're back with Jack or something?"

"No, Harry. Why would you assume that?"

"Because I saw you said you missed him the other night."

"So you're going through my texts now?"

"Well when you were sleeping at my house I saw you were getting texts so I read some of them so they'd quit beeping and waking me up. You usually never mind when I did that before..."

"Yeah, well... That was different. I mind now. But no, we're not together. He wanted to try to make 'us' work again, and wanted to try to 'fix' me, but I don't need to be fixed." Just then, I heard the door open behind us. Kendall stood in a pair of high waisted white shorts and a black top tucked into them.

"Come on, babe. We're leaving soon. You need to get dressed." She walked over and placed a kiss on Harry's cheek and tried pulling him up.

"They can wait, she comes before you do." Harry said, not even giving Kendall the time of day.

"What the fuck, Harry? What have I done?"

"You've interrupted an important conversation with my best friend, and you need to go back inside before someone gets a picture of us all out here." I heard her groan, and she walked inside. "See what I mean? I can't do this anymore. She's fucking crazy possessive."

"She listens to you like a lost puppy, Harry. That's so sweet."

He elbowed me, and we laughed for a bit. "But really, nothing with Jack? So why can't I kiss you on the cheek?"

"Because, Harry..." I said, looking out at the dimly lit streets of London.
♠ ♠ ♠
(sorry, I'm American so there may be some American slip-ups throughout this story lol. I'm trying my best though!)