Status: Finished :(

Best Friends Means...

six

I woke up to the smell of pancakes slowly floating into my bedroom. I yawned, stretched, and realized I was alone in bed. I put on my slippers and walked out into the kitchen to see Harry flipping blueberry pancakes in his black boxers.

"Kaitlin's home, Haz. Put on some pants."

"I thought you said-"

He turned around to hear me interrupt him, but his body interrupted my thoughts, causing me to stutter. "H-Her bedroom door is shut, that means she's here." I nodded at the closed door at the hallway.

I walked over to the refrigerator to rummage for some orange juice. "Wait a minute. Why are you awake so early?" I looked at the clock and it was in fact 6 AM.

"My body is used to waking up early, and you have work, so I wanted to cook you breakfast."

"Well isn't that sweet." I said, sticking my tongue out at him. "But really, thanks."

He hummed in response, "When do you get off work today?"

"I open at 8, so I'll probably get off around 4. Just depends on how training goes with the new girl. Why do you ask?"

"I was going to pick you up and take you to dinner afterwards." He was smirking and I could tell he was up to something.

"Why?"

"Can I not just take you out to dinner?" He tossed a pancake down on my plate and handed me the syrup. "Just trying to be nice to you."

"I know, I know, but..." I stopped talking as I bit into the pancake. "This is the best pancake I've ever had."

"My mum's taught me a lot the times I've been home." Harry said as he sat down beside me at the kitchen table.

I continued eating my pancakes, as I watched Harry eat his in silence too. I couldn't tell if he was sleepy or if he was just avoiding conversation.

"So what are we?" Harry was first to break the silence.

"I think we should just be friends, hang out, and see what happens, Harry. You just kind of came back into my life basically out of nowhere and we both think we have these feelings for each other that I don't know what to really do with and-" Harry stopped me by putting his hand over my left hand that was resting on my leg.

He gave it a squeeze as he started talking, and I looked up to listen to him speak. "We don't have to be anything. I just want to be around you as much as I can. You have no idea how much I've missed you, El. I was just curious as to where you stood with us." Harry got up from the table and took our empty plates. I sat at the table, finishing my orange juice when I felt his hands resting on my shoulders. He leaned down and kissed me on the top of my head. I smiled and hummed in satisfaction, "Go get ready for work. I'll take you and pick you up."

"I can drive myself, I always drive. You can go back to sleep."

"Really, its fine. It's a thank you for last night." I felt him rest his chin on top of my head as he continued to speak, "I told you I wanted to spend more time with you." I sighed and stood up, walking into my bathroom to get ready for work.

"What about your meeting today?" I asked as I gathered my fresh towel and partially shut the bathroom door, so I could hear Harry talk. I heard my bed creak and I knew he was going to lay down.

"It's in a few hours, it'll be fine. Don't worry about it."

"You don't sound very convincing, Haz."

"Because I'm not sure how it'll go. I'm going to be in so much trouble, but I'm just really sick of the way they're making me lie like this just to help us out and to help out Kendall."

I decided to leave the conversation there as I stepped into the shower and quickly washed myself, my hair, and shaved my legs. I wrapped myself in my towel and peeked through the door and saw that Harry had fallen asleep. I stepped into my walk in closet and stared at the clothes that were staring back at me. I sighed as I realized I had nothing to wear.

"I think you should wear those." Suddenly, Harry's voice was behind me. "You smell good."

"Go back to sleep so I can change in peace and quiet! And I need more of an outfit than just those shoes. Will you bring me back so I can change before dinner?"

"Of course." Harry smiled at me and left me to change into my clothes.

As I put the fishing touches on my makeup, I heard a knock on the door. "Yeah?"

"You could have told me that Harry Styles would be in the living room when I woke up this morning." Kaitlin walked into my bathroom, her hair in a rat's nest atop of her head. "I would have made myself a little bit more presentable than this. Speaking of, why is he in our living room?"

"Long story that I don't quite have time to get into this early in the morning, but he was drunk last night and ended up coming here instead of home."

Kaitlin's eyes kept getting larger and larger, "Wh-"

"No. Don't think that. We just had a talk that we needed to have. I'll explain later tonight, he's taking me out to dinner after work. What time did you come in last night?"

"Just a few hours ago, your hair dryer woke me up. I got up to get some water and then saw the gorgeous angel sitting there."

I scoffed and rolled my eyes, "Go back to bed."

"I expect details. Have a good morning at work and don't call me if you need help with Chelsea."

"Thanks. I hope you get sick." I yelled as I heard my bedroom door shut. I took one last look in the mirror and approved of myself before walking out to Harry on the couch, looking at his phone. He had changed into his clothes from last night. A black button up, and black skinny jeans with his black boots. Even unshowered, he was still beautiful. I distracted myself with grabbing a bottle of water before I headed to the door. "Let's go." I said, opening the door and waiting for Harry to come out.

"You look really nice." Harry said as we walked out to his car.

I blushed and didn't say anything as I watched one foot walk in front of the other until we reached Harry's Range Rover. "You'll have to tell me how to get there." I nodded as we made our way to the boutique.

---

"So, how's your first day going?" I walked out from the back room where I had been sorting new arrivals and taking inventory. "Haven't been interrupted, which is nice- you're a quick learner."

"It's been kinda slow so far. We've had a few customers, but I haven't had any problems with anything."

"Good, good. Think you can handle the store by yourself?" All of the color drained from Chelsea's face as I asked the question. I laughed, "I'm just kidding, love. You'll be working with either Kaitlin or I for the next few weeks but there will be a few days you'll have to work by yourself. Don't worry, we won't leave you alone by yourself just yet. Brit works here too, not as much. She's in school so she hasn't been working much the last couple of months but her new schedule just came out and she'll have more time to work. She'll come in for the last few hours today to replace me."

"Is she as nice as you?"

I sat up on top of the counter and swung my legs as I answered her, "Probably about ten times nicer. Kaitlin is the one to watch out for. She's really wonderful and nice, but she can be pretty hard on you if you make a mistake. That's why I asked to train you, I'll be working with you most of this week. I think you work with Kaitlin on Friday for the first time, you'll know exactly what you're doing by then."

I pulled my phone out to check the time- 2 o'clock. I smiled as I saw a text from Harry.

Three more hours!!!!! I placed my phone beside me on the counter and started out the front windows to the store, daydreaming about my date for tonight.

"Do you have a boyfriend?" Chelsea made me jump as she woke me from my trance.

"Nope. How about you?"

Chelsea started grinning and before she even answered I knew what her answer was. "Yeah, I do. We've been together about four years now. His name is James."

"Oooh, James." I said, hopping off the counter and straightening a few shirts that were out of place. A customer walked in and I watched as Chelsea greeted them and offered them help. She was going to be just the person we were missing to help out with the boutique. She was in school for business, which was perfect. She had a perfect sense of style to work with us and seemed like a real sweet heart.

I hadn't noticed the doorbell ringing again when I heard Chelsea calling my name. "There's someone here who's asking for you." I nodded and walked over to the door, expecting to see the delivery man with a package for me to sign, but I was completely wrong. It was Jack, with some flowers.

"Chelsea, I'm going to step out for a minute. Come out and get me if you need anything!" I said as I grabbed Jack's arm and we stood out in front of the boutique. "Jack, what the fuck are you thinking?"

"I wanted to apologize for last night." He handed me the flowers but I shoved them back into his chest. "Really, I'm really sorry about that. I was rude-"

"Rude? You thought that was just rude, Jack? You're a complete asshole, you bastard. I told you I didn't want to see you again. We're done. Over with." I felt my phone buzzing in my pocket and I pulled it out to see two texts from Harry, but I'd open them later.

"Who was that?"

"Why does it matter, Jack? Unless you've got something life changing to say, then I suggest you leave before I call the cops." The two customers walked out with bags in their hands and I waved and told them to have a nice day as I waited for Jack to respond. "Well?"

"I still love you, Elle. That's why I wanted to see you again last night, to see if I still loved you. And I do. I still care about you, and I want you to get better. I hate seeing you miserable and sad and wasting your life away by getting drunk. I know you don't drink as often as you used to, but I do know that the fact that you text me the other night when you were drunk means you still care about me too. I want to try to make things work again. I miss you." Jack pulled me into a hug but I pushed hard against him, trying to get away from him.

"Jack, get off of me. Jack!" I tried not to scream at him, but my voice was getting louder and louder and I knew someone would come help.

"Back off!" I heard a slightly familiar voice. "Leave her alone, mate." Liam was standing behind Jack, pulling him off of me. "You alright? Why don't you just leave her alone?" Liam was looking between the two of us.

"We're fine, Liam, thanks."

"Didn't sound like it. Why wouldn't you listen to her when she told you to get off of her?" Liam was intimidating Jack as he stepped closer and closer to him with his chest held high and his face locked tight. "I suggest you back off before something worse happens next time."

"Liam, it's fine. Really." Liam shrugged as I gave him a side hug and he kept walking. "Jack, I wish you would leave and don't ever contact me again."

Jack took a few steps closer to me and backed me into the brick wall. "One day when none of those little boys are around to take up for you, I'm going to make you mine again. I'll see you later, love." Jack took one last look back at me as he kept walking on the London streets. I'm sure any onlooker had no idea the conversation that had just happened between the two of us, nor did they know how uncomfortable that made me.

"Chelsea, next time any guy comes in here looking for me, tell him to leave. Immediately." I said, pushing into the store to find Chelsea to fuss at her.

"What happened?!" Chelsea stood up from behind the counter and I told her the story. "Oh my God, I'm so, so sorry. I should have been paying more-"

"No, its fine. Just know to never let him in here again. If you ever see him, call the cops, alright? I'll warn Kaitlin and Brit as well." I sighed, looking at the clock and it was 3 o'clock. I looked at my phone to check what Harry had sent me a few minutes ago.

I have good and bad news for you. Are you ready?
I'm coming to pick you up early.
I can't wait to see you!
Oops, can I even pick you up early from work?


I giggled as I replied.

It's endearing how excited you are. But it's kind of impossible for you to pick me up early. I can't leave until Brit gets here to relieve me.
I can help relieve you.
Haz, not like that. Jack just showed up here.
And did you kill him or do you need me to? I can't believe he'd show up there.
I don't think we'll have to be worrying about him. Liam was actually walking by on the streets when Jack wouldn't let me go and got him off of me.
What do you mean he wouldn't get off of you? Are you alright? Are you sure you don't want me to come pick you up early?
I can't just leave, Harry. I'm fine. He was hugging me and wouldn't let go until Liam pulled him off of me. It's fine, I promise.
Quit saying it's fine, when it's not fine. I'll see you in a bit.

I sighed and placed my phone back into the pocket of my blazer.

"You sure you don't have a boyfriend? You were smiling so huge just now."

"He's not my boyfriend. Just my best friend I haven't seen in a long time, and we're going out to dinner tonight. He's worried about Jack."

"What's his name?" Chelsea sat behind the counter, picking at her nails. I thought for a few seconds too long, trying to decide whether or not I should tell her just yet who I was friends with. I never knew how to take girls here in London. Some older girls still liked One Direction, but others didn't even care about the band.

"Harry."

"Ah. How do you two know each other?" She didn't even suspect a thing, how wonderful.

'We've known each other forever, basically. We grew up and went to school together. Then he moved away and I went to uni and we haven't seen each other in about three years now."

"Did he move back here, then?" She was now watching me pace around the store. "Careful there, you might burn a hole in the carpet walking over it that much."

"Yeah, something like that. For a few months, then he's leaving again so we're trying to get in as much time together as possible. He's actually from where I'm from, so I saw him this weekend when I went home to go see my mum. But he has a house in London too, and he came back last night. He's got some meeting today. Then he's going to pick me up from work and take me to dinner."

"Sounds like a date to me!" She grinned as I fidgeted with the necklaces hanging on the wall.

"We'll see where it goes, I guess."

"Where are you from?"

"Holmes Chapel." I blurted it out before I thought, knowing she'd know who Harry was when I said that. I tightly closed my eyes as I waited for a reaction from her.

"Is Harry Styles really your best friend? I have a hard time believing that. Don't worry, I'm not a creepy fan or anything. I just feel like they haven't really kept up with their friends from back home. I go to uni with a girl who knew Louis and said he completely quit talking to her when they got all big and famous."

"Harry's different than Louis. We've talked every day ever since X Factor, he's kept me up to date on everything in his life, the good and the bad." I was growing defensive over him, along with growing annoyed with the fact that she would be so quick to judge someone she didn't know.

"Well, that's good then." She went back to picking at her nails, and I went back to straightening up the store. I heard the front door bell ring and walked around the displays to see who it was. Brit was 10 minutes early for her shift.

"There's a Range Rover out front with a handsome boy with curly hair who goes by the name of Harry Styles waiting for you. He's got flowers."

"Thanks for ruining the surprise, Brit!"

"You can go ahead and go if you'd like, he looks like he's about to combust sitting there waiting on you." She giggled out as she wrote on her time card.

"Are you sure? Chelsea's been a quick learner today. If either of you have any questions, just call me and let me know. I'll have my phone on all night." I said as I walked to the back to grab my purse.

"I'm sure you won't be answer if we call too late!" Brit yelled out as I walked out the front door and I was glad she couldn't see me because of the blush that was covering my face.
♠ ♠ ♠
So sorry I haven't updated in a few days, guys!