Goin' to Hell

I dreamt of a devil that knew her

“Hey you okay?” A voice asks me. I look up and see Kate standing there with two cups of coffee. “It looks like you need a cup, you haven’t been sleeping, have you?”

“I’m not going to sleep until I find my baby sister and bring her back alive.” I reply, taking a cup from her.

“It’s been a week Frankie, you need sleep.” Kate sighs as she sits down on the bed next to me. “You’d be no help to Austen if you don’t sleep.”

A sigh escapes my lips. Kate’s right. And goddamnit, I hate when she’s right. More importantly I hate admitting she’s right.

“I’m her brother, I’m suppose to protect her from everything.” I croak out. “If I can’t protect her, how the hell am I suppose to become a SHIELD agent?”

“This isn’t your fault, if it’s anyone’s fault it’s mine.” She assures me, “I asked Austen to go out that night. She was on her way to my apartment when she was abducted. It’s my fault, I didn’t protect her. I’m a shitty friend because of it.”

“This wasn’t your fault.” I tell her, “you’re not a shitty friend. You need to stop blaming yourself.”

“I’ll stop when you stop.” She states, “blaming ourselves isn’t going to bring Austen back sooner.”

“I just wish Mom and Dad would let me in on this mission,” I sigh, running my fingers through my hair. “They haven’t told me much since the day I got her. Both believe she got kidnapped because of our Dad.”

“They think someone like Crossfire would kidnap her?”

“Kate, it’s possible.” I frown, “we’re never going to have a normal life because of our dad. We’re always going to be a target; leverage to get to him and the other Avengers.” Kate remains quiet, only rubbing my back ever so often. The silence was nice, it was nice to be in the room with someone that can understand how useless I feel.

Sometime during that, both of us have fallen asleep, only to be woken up by someone running into the room. A groan escapes my lips as that some shakes me awake. I open my eyes and see my mother hovering over me; I instantly shoot up,

“Mom, what’s wrong?” I ask.

A smiles appears on her lips, “they found her, Frankie,” she replies, “they found Austen…”