Lion of God

On Through The Forest To Find You

On Through the Forest to Find You

"Umm...is it possible that I can get a little alone time? And I would like that test as well, if you don't mind." I said, waving her off.

"Yes mame." She spoke.

I closed my eyes to get myself together, why hadn't I thought of this myself? Am I really that naive? I'm carrying Tidius' child inside me...That thought gave me heartache. I needed to see him. A group of men that didn't look like they were part of my troops, so they had to be either Tidius' men or one of the other commanders. They might know something.

"Excuse me, come here." I ordered and one came over.

"Yes mame?" He sounded confused.

"Who is your commander?"

"Ah well that's why we are here, we needed to find who was in command here so we could join the ranks." He sounded sad.

"What happened?" I sit up.

"Prince Tidius got captured somehow, they are holding him for ransom. We didn't know what to do so we came here, hoping someone would help."

"Why didn't you go after him, you idiots!?" I stood up mad. The nurse came running towards me trying to calm me down.

"Were sorry we didn't know what to do mame." He backed off.

"I am in command here! Go outside and find a guy named Anthony he will lead this army until I get back. Tell him that I will be back." I sit back don't calming down.

"Mame, you can't go what about the baby?" The nurse asked.

"I'm fine, I'm sure I can handle it. Get me a satchel and a vehicle. Please, I need to go find him." I pleaded.

"Fine...but I'm going with you. I'm not letting you get killed along with an innocent baby. Judy! Get me a medical pack...and a months’ worth of food and water. We will need it." She crossed her arms, I knew I couldn't persuade her to stay so I didn't even try.

The another nurse came in about thirty minutes later with three bags full of stuff. She handed them off to the older nurse.

"Are you sure you can do this?" I asked her.

"Why of course I can...No need to worry about me when you have a baby to worry about." She smiled as we headed towards a military hummer.

She put her things in the back along with the other supplies we needed to get through. I put some things like weapons we might need on the way. But Anthony stopped me from entering the vehicle.

"Where are you going?" He frowned. He was an older guy who had a reptile background. But I trusted him with many things.

"I'm sorry Anthony but I'm leaving you in charge. I will be right back, If I don't come back in the next...month consider me gone, don't come after me." I smiled up to him.

"You are going after Tidius aren't you?" He grimaced at the name.

"Do you have some kind of problem with him or something because I feel like you don't like him all that much, or is it just me?" I growled.

"It's not that I don't like him, mame. I just worry for your safety that's it." He was still frowning.

"I'm fine, plus I got Miss Nurse here to take care of me. So take care of my men for me will ya?" I jumped into the driver’s seat and closed the door before he could say anything more.

I drove for a while before I started getting too tired to drive, but we weren't safe in this area so I decided to let nursery drive some of the way. We got to a safe area of the forest and hid the vehicle with a bunch of branches and plants. We had to walk the rest of the way. We had to leave of the useless things in the hummer because we didn't need to be slowed down by things we didn't need. Plus walking gave me time to think about what I needed to do in order to get Tidius back.

We walked a couple more miles before we set up camp, I took the first watch, of course. You are probably wondering why we didn't use guns in a war but a long time ago the whole world banned guns they took them and destroyed all of them. Except there were a few that got out that's why the Droves were invented. Only guns weren't the only thing that got into the system. People used drugs in order to become stronger...better. That's where the abominations come in. But doctors would also experiment on orphaned babies...eventually that was outlawed as well. But some doctors didn't listen so they got put in jail. It was a big ordeal back when I was a kid...they didn't outlaw it until I was seven. Too bad they didn't do it before I was born that way I wouldn't be one of those abominations that terrorized the city. But I guess I’m not deformed like the rest of them...I wonder what this baby is going to look like? I hope it has Tidius' smile and eyes...I just hope I can get to him in time.

"You need to sleep dear, I'll be the lookout for a while." The nurse said sitting down beside me, but I wasn't sleepy.

"What is your name by the way? Sorry I didn't ask before..." I sighed.

"It's fine, and my name is Mary." She smiled.

"I'm Ariel." I smiled back at her. "So Mary do you have a family?"

"Ah yes...a wonderful husband and two sons...they are grown though. Going to the academy to become doctors." She looked proud.

"That sounds great...I wish I had that. But here I am...pregnant, and in a war." I sighed again, dropping my head into my hands.

"I'm sure that you will be a great mother, with the way you take care of those men back there. They love you...I always hear of tales of you saving people's lives. So I'm sure you will find a man that loves you more than even that."

"Hopefully I already found him." I laughed. " But I have to get him out of the dungeons of the enemy's palace...then...and when that happens get his parents to agree to let me marry him...well that's if he wants to."

"The way you speak of him...it seems like you have lost him already."

"If you knew who he is...then you would feel the same way." I half smiled at her.

"I'm sure, whoever he is, is willing to take care of you and this baby growing inside of you. If not then he isn't a man at all."

"Well I'm not entirely worried about that...as soon as I met him he took care of me without me being pregnant...he is am..." I stopped at the sound of footsteps. "Hide...and be quiet...if anything happens to me, don't speak a word...and get help."

She did as she was told, as she did the footsteps became louder when they approached I felt a great relief wash over me. I felt liking crying at the sight of him standing there I thought I was dreaming for a second until he started talking.

"You have to hide...now." Tidius grabbed my arm and pulled me behind a boulder. He covered my mouth so I couldn't speak.

More footsteps followed, I was hoping that Mary was well hidden because I saw the men come by looking around. They must have moved on when they didn't find anyone else, but Tidius still didn't let me speak. I took a good look at him, and he was bruised and battered...scars were forming on his arms. He finally let my mouth go and he slid down on the forest floor. He still had his boots on but his pants were ripped and torn...and so was his shirt. You could see blood seeping through. He even had a few scraps on his face...but was covered up by his scruffy facial hair, even the hair on his head had grown.

"Tidius what are you doing here, I mean what happened....I don't even know what I'm saying anymore...how are you here? I was coming to get you." I could barely speak words, then I remembered Mary. "Shit...ummm Mary its fine you can come out now."

"You have someone with you?!" He half yelled "...who is it?"

He looked frightened, I have never seen him like this ever.

"She is my nurse...what's wrong?" I asked, and Mary came around the corner holding her bag.

"Is she okay? She hasn't tried to hurt you has she?" He sounded paranoid.

"She is fine, this is Mary...Mary this is Prince Tidius."

"Well it's nice to meet you...but you look terrible. Do you want me to patch you up?" She asked him.

He sighed at the sight of her and finally calmed down.

"I'm sorry mame, but no thank you...I need to rest a bit before doing anything." He half smiled up at her and she nodded...then went off to give us some privacy. "I have so much to tell you, but that can wait."

He took me into a giant bear hug, picking me up even. I wrapped my legs around his slightly more skinny waist. It made me worry. But I didn't want to ruin this moment.

"I have missed you." He sighed.

"Me too." I smiled at him, as he sat me down.

We sat down again, and he leaned his head back in thought. He didn't speak for a while but he eventually did.

"I got captured..." Was all he said.

"Yeah I know...your men came to my camp and told me, so I went to find you." I explained but he frowned.

"I was captured but not by the enemies...my men were the ones who captured me. Then locked me in a underground dungeon...my father’s property by the way. It was all explained to me..." He looked sad enough to cry. "This whole war was a set up between King Augustine and my father...so that it would seem like an accident that I got killed."

"What are you talking about? The Assassins...what about them?" I was confused still.

"Also my father's idea...they weren't really going to kill him...they were aiming for mother." He moaned. "They have her locked up in the palace dungeons, that's why we haven't seen her since that night she fixed you up."

"Oh no..." I became panicked. "Why does your father want to kill you in the first place?"

"He wants Parker to marry the princess of Augustine, I refused to do so...along with other things he wanted to manipulate me into doing while I was crowned king. He didn't seem like it mattered all that much to him at the time but the other prisoners told me everything after I came to."

"How did you escape?"

"I timed it just right...they change guards every few hours...so I attacked and ran. I have been in that dungeon for two months...why did those men only come tell you now?" He frowned.

"I don't know, but my men...are they part of it?" I felt so betrayed.

"I'm not so sure...but there has to be a reason why they told you. Unless they were just trying to get you....that must be it. They told you so that you would come find me and then capture you as well...that has to be it."

"Must be." I felt sick again...I held it back though. "Maryy...can you get me some water please, and bring enough for two."

"Are you okay?" He placed his hand onto my forehead, I laughed.

"I'm fine...I'm just glad you are here with me now. I know it's no laughing matter but you have no idea how relieved I am to see you."

Mary walked up with two water bottles filled with luke warm water. But I didn't care, I felt like I could drink a whole dam full of water. After I Mary gave us the water she gave me a quick smile before leaving again.

"So your father wants Parker to be King instead of you...ha!" It was funny because even if Tidius died and Parker became king...he would have to step down because I was carrying the next heir in my womb.

"What is so funny." He gave me another half-smile.

"You seriously might not want to know after everything that's happened." I sighed.

"Tell me anyways nothing can surprise me now." He raised an eyebrow.

"Okay...Even if you died Parker wouldn't be the next in line to be king." I grabbed his hand and smiled. He only looked down at my hand and frowned.

"I don't understand? Of course he is next in line, why wouldn't he be...that's why I was to be killed...you are making no sense. I think you may be delusional or something." He nervously laughed at me.
"No, I'm not delusional...I'm pregnant. Like I said even if you were dead Parker wouldn't be next in line...our child will." I raised up my shirt to reveal my little plump tummy and placed his hand over it. His eyes grew in amazement.

"You have got to be kidding me..." He started to smile.

"I thought you couldn't be surprised." I smiled too. He looked into my eyes, and smiled that dazzling smile that I missed so much.

"Well I didn't think of something like this...I don't even know what to say. When did you find out?"

"Today...Thanks to throwing up everything I eat. The baby must not like military surplus food." I laughed a little.

"I'd say not, that stuff is disgusting. I don't ever want to see a little brown bag fill with food ever again."

"Well, that’s all we have to eat. So you might have to wait a little longer on that."

"Damn...at least it's food though. I'm sure there are some things to hunt out here, right?" He pleaded with mother nature. "Holy shit...it seriously just sank in...I'm going to be a father....ha....wow"

He swiped his hands through his untamed hair.

"Yeah that's if we can get through this without getting killed...then you have to go over rule your father...take control of the city, find some alleys...."

"Well let's take one thing at a time..." He laughed. "We will get out of this...even I have to take out some traitors along the way."

"Good because I'll need you to scream at when I'm actually having this baby." I winked at him.

"God I missed you." I took me in his arms again but this time kissing me. Even though his lips were dry and cracked it still felt good to be near and touching him. We pulled apart him smiling, even his ears were perked up.

"Tidius...what are we going to do once we get back to the city. We very well can't take over a whole Kingdom protected by men who we know can handle themselves. I can take down many people but here lately I just can't take much. You can do much more than me but we are still just two people and a nurse." I was getting worried now.

"I know some people back home that can help us...other than that I can call someone that owes me a favor. Tomorrow we have to make our way back to your camp for more supplies...and see if any of your men were loyal, which I'm sure there are at least a couple that are...but tonight we sleep, you need rest and so do I." He brushed my hair back from my face.

"Okay. I'm wore out...Mary?" I called out.

"Yes mame?" She came around the corner.

"Can you take first watch? We are wore out." I smiled up to her.

"Of course...Ariel..." She bowed. "Prince."

We went around to find that Mary had already set up the camp with a couple of sleeping bags and blankets together. I swear I could have hugged Mary. I laid down beside Tidius who was already laying comfortably in the sleeping bag. I think I fell straight to sleep after that.

Early that morning I started hearing voices so I grabbed my larger knife just in case someone was trying to sneak up on us. I opened my eyes a little to see what the commotion was about only to find Tidius and Mary talking. I let go of my knife and decided it was time to get up. Once they heard me Tidius came running to help me up. I wanted to laugh at him because he was already getting protective over me and the baby. But I also thought it was manly of him.

"I heard voices...thank God it was only you two." I sighed finally getting to my feet. "I can't even imagine what I'm going to feel like in a couple more months."

"Much worse my dear, but you are already glowing." Mary handed me an apple and water.

"Thank you. So are we heading back today? Hopefully the hummer is still there." I took a big bite of the apple.

"Yeah I already told Tidius about the vehicle." She started packing up some of the things we needed into her medical satchel.

"Good, Tidius are you okay?" I frowned at him.

"Yeah I got patched up and everything, but something isn't right. I took a walk to scout the area for any enemies." He frowned as well.

"And?" I was confused.

"There wasn't anyone...but I saw a trail of foot prints on the back trail, many people don't know about that trail unless you are trying to sneak into Westerwolf. They weren't soldier footprints either...some were women."

"Are their other women besides me in the army...maybe they are medical units?" I asked.

"They could be but why sneak into the kingdom when medical units usually have vehicles and can go straight through without any problems." He rubbed his neck.

"I don't know...we can check it out once we figure out the situation on my camp. Right now we need to start up north." I picked up my pack and threw it over my back.

"Right...and do you think you should be carrying anything?" He scrunched up his nose.

"I'm fine, really I am. I'll tell you if I need help." I smiled at him then started towards the trail that we made coming here, Tidius grabbed the other pack and followed close behind.

He checked behind us every few moments to make sure no one was following us, he seemed more paranoid now than he did at the camp. I was worried that he didn't get much sleep. I should probably ask Mary when I get her alone...whenever that is. I was terribly worried about what they actually did to him down in that dungeon and why they didn't kill him right off if they didn't want him alive. I thought about many things before we actually got to where we hid the hummer. Thankfully it was still there because I was getting tired of walking on my feet, but I didn't complain because I am tougher than that.

Tidius automatically went to the driver’s side so I gave him the keys that were in my pocket. Mary went into the back where a lot of the left over supplies were. I jumped into the passenger side of it. After we left the jungle and onto the road I could see that Tidius had dark circles around his eyes...they were bruised. His lip was busted as well, how I didn't notice this last night was news to me but I felt a large pain in my chest that felt worse and worse as I took a closer look at him. He must have washed up because I could see all the cuts, scars, and bruises on him now that they were caked in dirt and grime.

"We are going to have to walk from here...if the camp is already taken over we don't want to just ride in there like nothing happened." I said, and he pulled over to park. We filled up our packs and head more north.

We went off the road and into the forest where we made our way back to my camp. At first we didn't see anything out of the ordinary, which was until we saw about twelve of my men tied up including Anthony, Jones, Nurse Judy, and Lukas.

"What the hell is Lukas doing here?" I whispered as we hid behind a couple of trees.

"I'm not sure...he was one of the palace guards not a foot soldier." Tidius frowned.

"There are about five guards around them...and then three more over by my tent. Must be where the commander of their group is. I can't see any more than that, but I'm pretty sure there are more." I sighed. "I can get the three over by the tent...but I'll need help with the other five."

"I can handle them, I need a weapon though." He raised his eyebrow at me.

"Right...sorry." I handed him two of my knives that were tucked into my boot. "Mary I need you to be on a lookout for any more people, but stay hidden. Here is a knife...just in case."

"Okay...just be careful." She half smiled and took the knife from my hands.

"I will. I can handle myself pretty well." I flipped my main knives up into a holding position.

Tidius gave me a nod as went around the back of the camp, waiting for me to take down the first guy. I was quick on my feet going behind the large tent making sure to not alert anyone. The first guy had a large sword like blade to his left side which meant he was right handed so I didn't want to get on that side. I waited until he turned the opposite direction and took him from behind. I jumped on his back and before he could scream for help I sliced his throat, then laying him gently on the ground. I looked back to Tidius who was waiting still. I had to go to the other side of the tent for the next one, and so I did. This one had the same type of blade the first one did...only he was left handed. Plus he was too close to the last guard for me to get close enough. I had to make another plan of action for these two. I had to take them down at the same time.

I whistled loud enough for them to hear me, and as planned they both went to see what it was. As soon as they got close enough to me I threw my remaining knives straight between their eyes killing them instantly. I grabbed my knives from their bodies and that gave the go ahead to Tidius...I followed quickly behind him because as soon as they see him they will call for help. I was here to silence the stranglers. We were on opposite ends at this time and I counted to three...on three we both threw our knives into four of the guards, leaving one left. The tied up soldiers didn't know who was killing the men so they started freaking out until they saw me. Tidius found the last guard and snapped his neck, then taking his knives from the bodies. I did the same.

"What are you doing here? Are you crazy?" Anthony whispered to me.

"Hush, is there more men than this inside the tents?" I ask.

"Only a couple...but we can take them if you untie us." He smiled at me.

Both Tidius and I untied the soldiers, as soon as we did they headed to the tents taking care of the last few soldiers. I grabbed Lukas before he went away.

"What are you doing here?.....or should I ask why?" I frowned up at him.

"Long story short...I found out what was happening in the Palace, I came to find you and here I am. Parker was getting on my damn nerves waiting for his damn Princess...she is supposed to be there a month ago but was held up. I'm sure that she is on her way right now." He sighed and then followed the rest of the soldiers.

"Right...Tidius!" I call over to him.

"Did you find out something?" He asked.

"Yeah...I think. You know that trail you were talking about?"

"Yes??"

"Does King Augustine know about it?"

"Probably if he and my dad are in cahoots, why?"

"I think I know whose footprints those were back there...The Princess." I smiled up at him.

"That makes sense." He smiled as well.

"If we get the Princess...."

"...We can hold her as a hostage...I like you’re thinking. But we still will need more people than this to take over the palace even with the princess." He sighed, letting his smile fade.

"Well then we will get people like you said last night." He agreed as well. "Mary! You can come out now, you may need to help with some of these injured men. You too Nurse Judy."

She came out knife in hand, I thought it looked so unnatural for her to be holding something so lethal. But I needed to take care of my men. The two nurses went around to the soldiers who needed help as well as who needed to be feed or giving drink. We had a few men...not enough to do anything. But we needed them especially if we were going to take the princess.

"Mame, we found the leading commander of these men. I didn't know if you wanted him dead or alive so I brought him here." He pulled a vaguely familiar looking man up to me with his hands tied behind his back.

"Ariel..." He grimaced.

"Noah Johnson...you are seriously a commanding officer? They really thought this group of men could take me down?" I laughed. "Leave him here tied up, they will eventually find him. We don't need any more death on our hands...right now."

The soldier did as I asked and went on his way looking through the other tents to make sure they didn't miss something. Tidius was talking to Anthony which was very odd because they didn't know each other. So I decide to go up to them...just to be curious.

"They attacked as soon as Ariel and Mary left us...they had us completely surrounded. I mean there wasn't many of us in the first place because...well they weren't really on our side. That's when Lukas came...they captured him almost instantly. He did kill at least one of them. I hoped Ariel didn't get caught as well...I can see she didn't." Anthony finished smiling.

"Yeah I don't think they could have caught me." I smiled back. "Tidius may I speak with you?"

"Yes of course." He pushed me a away by the small of my back, again sending shivers down my spine. I missed that. "What did you want to tell me?"

"I just wanted to check in on you...Ever since we left this morning you have been acting strange."

"It's nothing I was just worried about that trail and also I thought we were being followed. I guess not. I've just been paranoid ever since I escaped that nasty place." He sighed.

"It's okay. You aren't in there anymore. Just think of the future, and what it holds." I grinned up to him.

"Yeah you're right. I just need to calm down...it's just the adrenaline from all this is getting to me, you know?"

"Yeah I know the feeling. All this blood is starting to give me nightmares...I keep my hand on one knife throughout the whole night. I feel like someone is watching me at all times. I don't know...I just need a break from all of this. But I know that we need to keep going till the end." I gripped his hand. "I don't know if it's the hormones or what but I seriously need some extra cuddle time with you later."

He laughed out loud for the first time in a while.

"Yeah well I can do that for you at least." He pulled me back with the group of men and two nurses. "Tomorrow we will be heading north on the back trail heading straight for the palace. But we are not going to the palace just yet, there will be a group of twelve men and about five women going the same way. We will be commandeering them and taking the precious cargo they are taking to the palace, Princess Anne of The Augustine Kingdom. So Be ready early at 0500 in the morning. Also...each one of you will take watch tonight in turns. Ariel and I need as much sleep as we can get so please...I beg of you don't wake us unless it's a real emergency. Other than that do what you need to do."

He finished and I lead him into my tent where things looked untouched thankfully. The bodies of the men we killed were taken off and buried in the forest, the injured men were taken care of and now it was time to rest until morning. I wanted an early night...for the both of us. The sleep wasn't easy for me but at least I had Tidius to keep me warm tonight. Tidius kept his hand on my stomach which secured me even more as I slept that night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yet another chapter (: I hope you like it.

I have another story that I'm co-writing with Altair; it's called The Path of An Elite.
You can read it here: http://www.mibba.com/Stories/Read/554527/The-Path-of-an-Elite/