No Place Like Home

happy birthday

It was probably the easiest decision Loren has ever made in her short 17, soon to be 18 years of life. It's something she's thought about doing since her oldest brother, Will, moved out seven years ago. Without the constant safety of Will she knew there was no way she could stay at her parents’ house. Which is why she made this decision on her eleventh birthday. It's finally time to enact her plan and she couldn't be more excited or nervous. She watched as the clock finally struck midnight and smiled whispering 'happy birthday to me' as she stood from her bed and glanced around her room one more time before shutting off the lamp and tiptoeing her way through the house.

She put her things hidden in a bush in her front garden, where she could see from her room in case someone happened to snoop around, so that way she wouldn't make noise leaving the house. A car was waiting idly at the curb ready to take her to the airport. It would take her thirty minutes to get to the airport, forty five minutes to go through security and if that timing went according to plan she would be at her gate and ready to board by two am. The flight would be three hours and twenty minutes which means she would arrive around five thirty. It would take about half an hour to get off the plane and go to baggage claim and hail a taxi. A forty minute drive, enough time for her to call the bank and cancel the card she applied for using all of her mother’s information, and would eventually arrive at her destination around seven with traffic.

She ended up arriving closer to seven thirty but the extra half hour gave her time to prepare her speech. Loren paid the taxi driver and thanked him for his services before collecting her things and walking up the drive way being occupied by three cars. Loren's body was tired so it was harder for her to get her heavy suitcases up the small stairs of the porch than she anticipated but she made do. Finally she knocked on the door, anticipation crawling through her veins and butterflies swarming her stomach. After a short wait the door finally opened and the speech she perfected in the taxi blew out her window as she was finally in presence of Will.

"Lo? What on earth are you doing here?"

Loren, fatigued from all the traveling and worries that this wouldn't work out, burst into tears and hugged her brother as tightly as she could.

"Hey now it's okay, it's okay. You're safe it's okay."

Loren let his words register in her mind allowing them to calm her so she could stop crying.

"Hi, Will."

Will grinned, "Hello Loren. What a mighty surprise. Come on in, I'll get your bags. Have you eaten yet?"

Loren shook her head, "Nope not since yesterday."

"Okay I'll make us some breakfast. Do you want to shower or anything?"

"Not yet. I just, need to relax for a while. Maybe after breakfast."

"Fair enough." Will shrugged and turned on the kettle to make her some tea.

The siblings made small talk as Will made breakfast, they both knew a heavier conversation needed to happen but neither of them wanted to do it right away. Once breakfast was ready they ate and watched cartoons like old times, Loren having a strong feeling of nostalgia. Loren volunteered to do the dishes and Will brought her things to the spare room; a room he always knew was going to be for his little sister.

"Do you want to shower now?"

"Please?"

"Okay but after that we're talking." Will's voice was kind but stern and Loren knew better than to cross him.

"Okay, definitely."

"Now come on, I'll show you where the bathroom is and everything and please for god sake lock the door. I have two male roommates and I don't need them walking in on my little sister."

Loren wanted to laugh but the fears was still there even if she wasn't home. "No breaking down doors?"

"No, absolutely not. You'll be safe here."

Loren took a deep breath and nodded, feeling a little more relieved. She also appreciated the fact that Will foresaw her staying there longer than just a weekend. Once Will was gone she went through her luggage and found some random clothes to wear and her toiletries. She locked the bathroom door, checking it a few times to be sure and finally started the water and undressed. Out of habit she showered and dressed as quickly as she could and exited the bathroom.

"Whoa." Loren looked up at the sound of a male voice and blushed. "Who are you?"

"I'm Loren, Will's little sister."

"Oh cool. I'm Colton."

"It's nice meeting you Colton."

"You as well. Will's mentioned you visiting but I didn't realize it was now."

"Neither did he to be fair."

Colton pressed his lips together and shrugged, "He can't be too mad at you, he's been talking about you visiting for a long as I've known him. You're welcome here anytime."

Loren smiled, "Thank you."

"No problem, Lo."

It was strange hearing someone who wasn't her brother call her Lo but it was also pretty nice as well. She smiled at Colton one more time before moving around him and putting her dirty clothes in the guest room and going in search of her brother. He was still watching cartoons but at the sight of her he turned off the tv and motioned for her to follow him. They sat in the sun bleached lawn chairs and Loren glanced around the decent sized backyard just trying to delay the conversation though to no avail.

"So how'd you do it?" Loren knew exactly what he was talking about.

"A week ago I called moms bank and got a new card for their account so the money aspect was taken care of. I booked a flight the same day I left so they wouldn't get the bill statement before I was supposed to leave. I already figured out what I wanted to keep from my room and what I wouldn't mind being destroyed." Loren said remembering the bonfire her parents had when Will moved out; they used all of his things. "I packed yesterday and while they were at work I hid it all in the bushes. Once they were asleep I called a cab, walked right out the front door got my things and went to the airport. At the airport I used the ATM and got enough cash for cab fare and to live off of for a while and in the cab to your house I canceled the card."

Will stared at his sister not knowing to be impressed or displeased, a little bit of both to be honest.

"I can't believe you did it. What about your cell phone?"

"Got a new one through Wal-Mart. It's just $45 a month."

"And they still haven't figured it out?"

"By now I'm sure they have but it's not like they can contact me. I also canceled my phone bill with that card I got."

"Damn kid." Loren couldn't help but smile a little. "What about when they take you back? You can't stay here. Wait, today is your birthday. You're 18."

"So they can't do jack shit. And you know they won't report the card or anything. That would make them look bad."

Will shook his head and laughed, "You really did have it all figured out."

"Did you expect anything less?"

"No of course not. I know I should be like royally pissed off or something about this but I'm not. You planned it well and you're right they won't do anything. You're here in one piece and you're safe so that's all that matters. We already have an empty room so as far as I'm concerned it’s yours. I still have to talk to Colton and Hunter but it should be fine with them."

Loren nodded, "Okay."

"You'll have to get a job of course and save up for a car. Until you have a car you won't need to pay rent."

"Will that’s too much and isn't fair."

Will held his hand up and Loren shrunk in her seat, "I don't want to hear it. If you pay rent and everything and try to save up for a car it'll never work. You need to save all of your checks to get a decent car and after that we'll sort out everything else. Got it?" Loren nodded, knowing its best not to argue with him when he gets this way. "You know I love you and I promised I would take care of you. I didn't do the best job when we were younger but things are different now and I can do better."

Loren blinked faster so she wouldn't cry and nodded. "I love you too Will. I'm sorry for just showing up. If this somehow got back to them you and I both know it would be a disaster."

"I know, I understand. You've been traveling all night so you should get some rest. The bed is already made up so you're good to go."

Loren nodded and got up to hug her brother, "Thank you."

"You're welcome. And Lo? Happy birthday."
♠ ♠ ♠
oops. i didn't mean to start another story, it just kind of happened. to anyone who read this, thank you very much.

-a