Status: Updates Every Two Weeks

Anonymia Eoptenia

Blind Fools

Ares, the god of warfare, was as deadly as he was handsome. Like his uncle Poseidon, he had a shocking head of auburn hair that curled about his head and fell about his eyes in a lackadaisical manner. His was the most muscular body in Olympus- a hard body that showed off his excessive power. Despite his misgivings, he met Hades in a hidden clearing upon the Earth.

It was an emerald haven, home to massive trees whose mangled branches reached far into the wispy clouds of the firmament. They were safer here than in Olympus where any conversation seemed to float on by anyone's ears and became the gossip upon everyone's lips. Hades strode out from the darkness between the trees- a fitting entrance for the god of the underworld, Ares thought anxiously- and approached him, his mouth turned up in a pitying half smile. Ares hated pity more than anything and scowled at Hades.

"What do you want of me Hades," he hissed. "I don't need your pity-"

"I need your assistance."

Ares was made speechless by such bluntness. He had not expected the reason of him being called to be revealed to him so soon.

"I understand that you have not been useful since our war against Iliad ended," Hades continued.

Ares couldn't deny this fact and clenched his teeth to the point of shattering them. Peace was amongst Greece, only to be interrupted by the occasional human tiff that usually involved his sister Aphrodite. He was useless at the moment, a dead weight, and spent his time loitering about Olympus's meadows.

"And so," he had almost forgotten Hades was speaking. Contrary to his dark looks, the man had a melodious voice that was enough to make the Fates green with jealousy. Ares wasn't even sure his uncle was aware of it. "I would like your assistance in defeating Hera."

Ares lifted his chin proudly.

"What makes you think I won't refuse?"

"And do what?" Hades scoffed. "Frolic about the blossoms like you normally do?"

"Why you-!"

"Do it," Hades said blankly. That pitying smile was back on his face. "Attack me. Maim me. Do what you will to me. It will preserve your fragile ego but only make the others hate you more after your affair with Aphrodite."

Ares's fist fell like a stone at his side. Hades watched him quietly, not smiling nor frowning. The brute was playing right into his hands just as planned. The god of the underworld felt guilt and yet knew it had to be done for the greater good. Ares was sure to appreciate being able to actually go out into the human world like he used to instead of brooding in his meadows.

"I-I shall do this for you," Ares said haltingly.

Hades quirked an eyebrow, and a half smile decorated his features.

"You must pledge on the River Styx."

Ares didn't know what Hades needed done, but they only pledged on the River Styx during times of war and conflict. It was not a pledge that was taken lightly.

"What is it you need done that requires such a serious pledge?"

"I need you to spy for me."

"Spy? Who do you take me for Hermes?" Ares snarled.

"Hermes is the one that needs watching," Hades replied with pursed lips.

"What has that boy done now," Hermes was known all around Olympus for his childish jokes and pranks. Ares, unfortunately, had been the receiver of these many times. "Did he steal the crown of the underworld?" he quipped.

"He's put someone's life in danger."

"You are the god of the underworld and you care about one puny human's life?" Ares replied laughing.

Hades had to give him that and smiled warily.

"It's less work for me if the boy lives," Hades thought it was better if he didn't gives Ares his true motives.

The god of warfare observed him silently, then sighed deeply.

"I pledge on the River Styx."

The Palace of Hades was the one place of light in the dreary underworld. Made of the finest white stone and colorful garden tended to by his wife Persephone, it stood on a large cliff lit by the lean rays of the sun from above. Every year it competed with Zeus's palace for the most beautiful. Persephone had shimmering hair the color of dark chocolate that appeared red in the dimming embers of a fire. Her light violet chiton was draped over her body and was embroidered by a rectangular pattern. She had a heart shaped face and bow shaped lips that were down turned into a frown.

Her husband was gone most days, leaving her alone with her flowers and the spiraling palace. She felt lonely without him. Although he did not always speak to her, his strong presence was enough for her. She held her lilies close to her as she struggled not to cry. She wondered who the other woman was.

She was no fool; she knew of all the various affairs the men of Olympus had. Zeus's were legendary, and Ares's was exposed for all on the mountain after Hephaestus caught him and Aphrodite in that net. Hades had been a dutiful husband in comparison, kind and a wonderful lover. What was it that finally made him tire of her? Her constant absences to be back with her mother?

"Poor, poor Persephone." Hera's pitying voice sent a shiver down her spine.

"Vile woman why do you seek me? I am not a puppet of yours to be played with!" Persephone hissed.

She didn't know what the woman desired, but the baleful glint in the goddess's eyes indicated a more malign purpose. The queen goddess shimmered in the engulfing darkness of the underworld, aglow with the light of heavenly Olympus.

"Vile woman," she smiled as though entertaining a child. "I am the protector of marriage and I only wish to save yours."

"What are you implying?" Persephone asked, her stance faltering.

And so I finally find a kink in her armor. Hera's smile grew.

"Oh you poor child, I had hoped you had already known of Hades's infidelity."

"Who is she?" she cried out.

"It is worse than a she my dear," the look of utter dejection on Persephone's face was almost too much for Hera to bear. If only Hades wasn't interfering with her plans then both he and his wife would be spared. "It is a young boy."

The lilies which Persephone held in her hands fell to the dirt and crumpled with their planter.

"You lying wretch! Hades is faithful to me! He would never-"

"So quick are you to defend the monster that abducted you from your mother's arms and forcibly took your virginity after filling you with his finest wines," Hera interjected coldly.

Persephone trembled where she stood. Even as she put on a brave front with her hands molded into fists, tears burned within her eyes.

"Follow him to Earth. Only then will you know the truth."

Hera placed a hand on Persephone's cheek and caressed it softly, whispering soothing nothings into her ear. When the goddess left, Persephone collapsed to the ground sobbing. The crushed lilies disintegrated and flew into the air.
♠ ♠ ♠
*The next chapter will be the last of the "setting up" chapters. This entire section could technically be called Part One of the Story.