Buzzkill

One

Jamie Benn sat at a bar in Dallas with Tyler Seguin, Brenden Dillion, and his brother, Jordie, laughing, after their 7-1 victory over the Toronto Maple Leafs.
“You liking Dallas Segs?” Jamie asked.
“Hell yeah! The girls here are hot!” He said slurring his words.
Jamie himself had a good buzz going on after three beers and was working on his fourth. He never thought that he would like Dallas that much when he was drafted, but after a year, he fell in love with the city. Jamie even had Jordie with him in Dallas and that made the city even better. Jamie let his mind wander back to Victoria on Vancouver Island; the place where he had grown up. Victoria always brought up bitter-sweet memories for Jamie. He pushed the thoughts out of his mind because those memories led up to the incident that had happened here in Dallas. Jamie never liked to think about it at all.
“Look at that.” Tyler said while eyeing up a girl who had just walked in her door. She had bleach blonde hair and fake boobs and was wearing a bright pink, low-cut, tank top, paired with short white shorts. Jamie rolled his eyes at Tyler’s choice of women. He himself loved brunettes with blue eyes from his past experience.
“Go get em’ tiger!” Tyler drunkenly yelled snapping Jamie out of his thoughts. As soon as Jamie glanced over, he saw Brenden walking towards a brunette who had her back turned to the three remaining hockey players sitting at the bar. Jamie took a big gulp of his beer as Brenden tapped the brunette’s shoulder. When the brunette turned around, Jamie nearly spit out his beer. It was her. The girl who had moved from Victoria to Dallas with him. The girl that was his first love. The girl who was his first kiss. The girl who he had his first time with. And there she was, talking, smiling, flirting, with Brenden. She didn’t even notice that Jamie was sitting at the bar, not twenty feet away. He shouldn’t have told her that she was ruining his career. He was angry that they had lost 9-0 that night and Dallas wasn’t even in the playoff picture. Then again, who wouldn’t be angry about that? He knew that he shouldn’t have said that to her but all he could see that night was red. He considered that moment the stupidest in his entire life, and it hurt seeing her at all, let alone seeing her flirting with one of his teammates. As her and Brenden were talking, he gestured over to Tyler, Jordie, and Jamie. Jamie’s brown eyes then locked with her blue ones.
When Brenden had motioned over to his friends, Sydney’s blue eyes locked with her first love’s warm brown ones. She was in utter shock. Should couldn’t believe that she had actually run into him. What were the chances of them being in the same building in Dallas? It was like fate since Dallas was such a large city. She then turned her attention back to Brenden who was still chatting always, but she could still feel those big, brown eyes staring at her.
“What the hell are you staring at?” Jordie Benn asked his younger brother Jamie. When Jamie didn’t answer, Jordie followed his gaze. He saw the girl that his brother had loved since five. He broke her heart and Jordie knew that he was ashamed of that. “Go talk to her.” Jordie insisted.
“No, she hates me.” Jamie replied.
“No she doesn’t.”
“Then why did she say it when we had the fight?” Jamie snapped.
“Because you were being an ass!” Jordie yelled. “She didn’t mean it, Jamie. I saw the way she was looking at you. She still loves you, Jamie.
“But-“ Jamie started, but Jordie cut him off.
“I’m going to go talk to her for you if you don’t.” He threatened and started to get up just as Sydney started to walk out the front door.
“No! I’ll go talk to her!” Jamie yelled and ran out the door, leaving his sweatshirt at the bar beside Jordie.
“Who was that brunette? She was really pretty.” Tyler slurred.
“She’s Jamie’s girl, so don’t even think about it Segs.” Jordie said sternly.
“Where did Jamie go?” Brenden asked as he took his seat beside Jordie.
“He went to get his girl back.” Jordie said with a smile.
Jamie flew out the door and looked down the sidewalk in both directions for Sydney. He wanted to talk to her. No, he needed to talk to her. He looked off into the distance and saw long, straight, brown hair up ahead and ran towards it.
“Sydney!” He yelled and the girl who had turned around wasn’t Sydney. “Oh, um, sorry.” He apologized to the girl.
“Jamie?” He heard her voice behind him. He quickly turned around and his eyes met her blue ones once again.
“Sydney.” He breathed. By then it had started to rain. He should have cursed himself about leaving his jacket, but he didn’t care right now. He was here with her after two long and agonizing years of being apart.
“Jamie you’re going to get sick!” She yelled and pulled her hood up and dragged all two hundred seven pounds of him by the arm to a nearby awning to shield them from the rain.
“Are you really here or am I just hallucinating?” He asked the brunette.
“I’m really here you idiot.” She said wrapping her arms around her chest since the wind had picked up. Jamie instantaneously wrapped his arms around Sydney and she stiffened.
“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean what I said two years ago. I was just angry and frustrated.” Jamie said miserably.
“I didn’t mean what I said either.” Sydney admitted while silent tears rolled down her face.
Jamie could tell that she was crying by the soft sniffles he heard so he wrapped his arms tighter around her tall frame.
“Shhhh.” He soothed and rubbed her back.
“I love you Jamie.” She said, her voice muffled by his chest.
“I love you too Syd.” Jamie smiled as they stood there with Jamie’s arms wrapped around her, while the rain and wind swirled around them.