Room With No Windows

Pillow. (Warm)

Ruby's nails scratching at the door woke me in the morning. From the sound of her whining, she needed to do her business, so I get up to let her out. The door takes a little shimmying for some reason. It finally gives and Ruby rushes past me, making her way around the corner of the house. I chuckle, sliding the door open a bit wider to let in the soft daylight.
Elsa groans behind me. I look over my shoulder and see her roll over, grabbing my pillow and digging her face into it. Her arms wrap around it, hugging it to her chest like a stuffed animal. She rests her head on top of it and I sigh as I make my way over. I've never really watched her sleep before. We either woke up at the same time, or I woke up before her and made myself busy.
She breathes deeply through her nose before nuzzling into the pillow some more and smothering it. That was one lucky pillow.
Yes, I was jealous of a pillow.
I bite my lip. I had to figure out what I was going to do with her. We couldn't keep leaving things unsorted and questions unanswered. It started off innocent enough, but now I was just confused. Whatever we were doing, neither of us hadn't any clue if it would continue once she left back home.
But how could it? She lived all the way in Ohio in the midwest.
We would still talk...wouldn't we?
Ruby returns from her short walk and props herself up on my knees, sitting on her hind legs. I scratch her head. "Hungry?"
She licks my hand, so I take that as a yes. I pad across the room in my bare feet, reaching for the dog bowl stored beneath my bed. I stuffed everything down there, honestly.
"Ruby, do I seem..off to you?" I mutter, fully aware I was talking to a dog. I always did. But I felt stupid this time because I was actually hoping for a response. She only tilts her head to the side.
I scratch the back of my head and drop my hand to rub my neck. I kneel down again, pulling out the bag of dog food and pouring some in her bowl. "I mean, I'm gonna miss her, aren't you?"
My throat tightens when I hear the bed stir and Elsa's soft voice. "John?"
I stay still beside the bed, feeling the silence threatening to swallow me whole. I clear the lump in my throat and muster up the courage to stand. She sits up, giving me a wide eyed look. She'd definitely heard me.
"Morning," I mumble, focusing my attention on Ruby nibbling at her food.
Elsa sits on her knees, scooting closer. "Were you talking about me?"
I bite my lip nervously. "Maybe?"
She gives a soft smile, but I see the sadness in her eyes. "Why would you miss me?"
"You have to leave soon," I explain. "It's going to be hard getting back to my old routine. Not seeing you everyday is going to be strange."
"Same here," she whispers. "I'm used to you spoiling me."
I force a chuckle, running a hand through my hair. I could feel how heavy my chest felt. Could I ever really accept things returning to normal? Would I be the same person I was before any of this started?
Probably not.
My eyes meet hers, our gazes locking. I couldn't even concentrate on what I was feeling when she looks that good.
Oh, what the hell, I think. Since we're being honest.
"E-Ellie," I stutter. "I meant what I said. I'm not...I'm not ready to let you go."
A look of what I think is relief washes over her as she throws her arms around my neck. I cling to her tightly, my own arms snaking around her waist as I hold her to me, smothering her as she had the pillow. My nose presses into her neck, closing my eyes and wishing we could stay like this, rooted in the same spot and staying the same while everything around us changed. I just wanted her warmth.
I feel her twirl her fingers through the ends of my hair and I sigh. I never thought I'd get so emotionally attached to someone after....her.
Elsa slowly pulls away, her eyes shiny but no sign of tears. "John, you don't have to let me go. You don't. Just tell me you want me here, and I'll figure something out. I'll head back home for a while to explain things to my parents and come back. I'd drop everything if it meant I got to see you everyday."
I frown, contrary to my hopeful heart. As much as I wanted to be selfish, I couldn't.
"No," I mutter. "I can't do that to you. You need to get back to school."
She shakes her head, tugging at my hair. "You don't understand, John. None of that was important before. If I'd never come on this trip, I'd still be stuck in that stupid state that I call home. But truth is, I feel more at home here with you than I have my whole life, and I don't want to have to give that up."
I feel my heart lurch into my throat, wanting to spill everything out. I had an epiphany, surprising even myself at what I wanted to tell her. The words pop into my head, and I could feel them, even taste them, on the tip of my tongue. But I didn't have the guts to say them.
"Elsa," I breathe, pressing my lips to hers instead.
She moans and I clutch her hips, pulling them closer to mine as her hands grip my hair in fistfuls. Her tongue tangles with mine, our teeth clashing in the midst of our hungry kiss.
Ruby suddenly pipes up, barking as she makes her way back outside. I pull away panting, looking behind me to see Halvo was back. I groan.
He was the biggest cockblock ever.

Eric stayed a while to explain why he had to leave in such a hurry. Apparently, one of his older cousins had gone into labor up in California, and he needed to be there for her in case there were any problems, since her husband was on a business trip.
He leans back, resting his arm behind the couch and smirking. "So, how was everything while I was away? Any incidents? Did Ruby interrupt anything?"
I roll my eyes. "Grow up. Nothing happened. I took Rubes and Elsa to the studio so I could introduce her to the boys."
"I'm sure they all thought the same as me," he chuckles, kicking his feet up on the coffee table.
Elsa returns from the bathroom, sighing. "Well, you thought right." She sits in my lap and my eyes widen. "Wh-what are you doing?"
"There's no need to hide it anymore, John," she giggles as she winks. "I guess we're that obvious."
I sigh. Of course she would go feed his ego and give him more reason to think he was always right about everything.
"You're ridiculous," I tell her and she presses her lip to my neck, forcing me to bite back a groan.
"Well, I guess that's my cue," he says, hopping up to his feet. "I'll see you later, Johno."
"Want me to keep Ruby so you can watch your cousin for a few more days?" I offer, in hopes of keeping him AWAY.
He shakes his head. "Nah, I've missed the bae." I laugh as he calls her over, kneeling down to cup her face. She licks his chin and he smiles. "I'll see ya around, Elsa. Keep the big boy busy."
After he leaves, I groan and turn to her. "Way to encourage him."
She giggles, a devious smirk forming on her face. "I got him to leave, didn't I?"
My lips quirk up and I chuckle. "I-"
There they were again; the words, threatening to slip.
I sigh, snaking my arms around her waist. "I really hope I get to keep you.
Ellie grins, running her hands through my hair. "You could always kidnap me."
I smirk at the idea of holding her hostage, playfully biting her arm around my neck. "Don't tempt me."
She sticks her tongue out and I pull her down on the bed so that we were laying down across from each other. I reach out to cup her cheek, running my thumb along her bottom lip. My hand was so big it covered almost the whole side of her face.
I feel my pulse go into a frenzy as she bites her lip, involuntarily grazing my thumb. I pull her lip from between her teeth, holding her steady gaze. There was a question in the air, one she didn't have to ask for me to answer.
My mouth crashes on top of hers, feeling her body arch toward me as I clutch the back of her head. Our tongues fight for dominance while we kiss heatedly, but neither of us were backing down. I groan and dig my hips into her, hearing her gasp pleasurably. She tugs on my shirt before resting her hand on my shoulder. I climb on top of her and deepen the kiss. Her smell and her touch was extremely intoxicating.
Elsa suddenly wraps her legs around my waist. I shiver, slipping my hands beneath her shirt to run along her soft skin. The fact alone that I could touch her made my head whirl. My mouth roams down her throat, my tongue swirling as I taste her neck. I clutch her waist to grind against her and feel a pang in my gut. She lets out a soft moan that only eggs me on further. My heart was ready burst out of my chest because I knew that I wasn't going to stop this.
She pulls my head back up, demanding her lips get attention once more and I gladly oblige. Her hands twine through my hair, the way she tugged at it greedily incredibly satisfying. Our breathing was heavy and uneven the more we moved against each other.
"John," she gasps as I grab her face in my hands, kissing her hungrily. I groan and pull away for a moment. "Fuck, Elsa-"
"My sister's coming to pick me up tomorrow," she blurts out, panting.
I gawk at her, breathing heavy. "What?"
She bites her lip. "I talked to her the other day. She said that she left Ohio by car and would arrive here either tomorrow or by the end of this week."
Elsa: providing me with hard ons and sexual frustration since day one.
My body moves off of hers, my eyes still glued to her face as I stare at her. Reality had just become more real. It wasn't some movie happy ending; she would actually be leaving.
"What's going to happen?" I ask, smoothing down her hair.
"I can always transfer to ASU. I was accepted when I first applied to colleges, I'm sure I can still get in. That way I can stay here with you." Ellie pauses, noticing the doubt in my eyes. "We'll make it work," she whispers. "You're not just some guy to me."
"And you're not just some girl," I reply honestly. I realized how true it was. In a matter of weeks, she had been able to win me over. Not only had she swept into my house, but she'd swept up my heart.
♠ ♠ ♠
A lot happening in this chapter! Any thoughts?
P.S. Sorry it took a while to update. I've been super stressed about artowrks for my AP art class.