Room With No Windows

Gimme Shelter. (Getting Acquainted)

The downside to having doors for windows? That goddamn sun every morning. The beautiful view isn't so beautiful when it's what wakes me up. I really needed to get curtains or something.
Luckily, it wasn't too bright when I roll over with a groan. My neck felt stiff from sleeping on the couch in such a weird position. Maybe the floor would've been a better option after all.
"Good morning," Elsa greets and I jump. She smiles when I sit up groggily. "You look like you could use some coffee."
She already had two mugs in her hand and I hesitantly take one. "Thanks. You didn't have to."
"You didn't, either, but you did," she says. I take a slow sip, considering her words. Was she referring to me letting her stay here, or me moving her onto my bed last night?
Either way, I shrug it off. "It's no big deal."
Just then, there's a knock on the door, and Ruby bolts from her spot and races over to Halvo, grinning down through the screen door.
I sigh. "Gimme a sec."
Elsa nods and I walk over to let him in, Ruby greeting him with an excited series of barks. He kneels down to let her lick his neck. "Hey, girl," he laughs. "'Sup, Johno."
Biting my lip, I mutter a quick hello and he continues to pet Ruby. He takes a glance behind me, probably wondering who Elsa was or what she was doing here. I shoot him a warning look to not ask questions.
Halvo, however, does the opposite, as usual. "I wasn't aware you had company," he says smugly, rising to his feet and smiling at Elsa. "Hey there."
"Hi," she responds shyly, still sitting.
I huff and run a hand through my hair. "Elsa, this is my bud, Eric. Halvorsen, quit being a nosy ass."
He smirks and crosses his arms. "I'm not being nosy, just polite. But fine." He throws his hands up in the air, whistling for Ruby. "I'll leave. I'm assuming you want some alone time, since you never bring a girl here. Like ever."
"Shut up, that's not-"
"Come on, Ruby," he chuckles, ignoring me. "You've probably already witnessed enough."
I groan once he finally leaves. "Sorry about that. He's an idiot."
"It's okay," she giggles. "I figure that's what most guys assume when they find their friend with a girl in their house."
A silence falls over us and I clear my throat. "Are you hungry? I can make breakfast."
She smiles softly. "That sounds lovely. Do you mind if I borrow your cell? I want to call my mom."
Nodding, I dig my phone out of my pocket and hold it out for her, telling her I'd be in the kitchen right down the small hallway. My garage was connected to the condo Peter shared with a few of our other friends, so I was allowed to use the kitchen, bathroom, and laundry room in there.
The condo itself was actually quite nice. The kitchen had an island table made of marble, and there was a good amount of room to walk around.
I open the refrigerator and pull out the carton of eggs, the only meal I could get right.
Once I've cracked them open into the pan, I let my mind wander. There were things that I still wanted to ask Elsa. Like who that was that kicked her to the curb, literally. And what were they doing in Arizona when she lived in Ohio?
"John?"
"Fuck!" I turn around and see Elsa, her eyes wide when she realizes she caught me off guard. How the hell was she so quiet? I didn't hear her come in.
"Sorry!" she blurts out. "I just...how do you dial on this thing?"
I laugh, grabbing the phone from her. "Jesus, Elsa. It's an iPhone. Get with the times," I tease.
She scoffs and sticks her tongue out. I chuckle, pulling up the dial screen. "Here."
"Oh," she says, blinking. I can't help but smirk. "You're never getting back home."
"Oh shut up." She sits down at the island table and punches in the numbers before holding it up to her ear. I return my attention to making breakfast, listening in on what she was saying.
"Hey, mom. Yeah, I'm good. No, I'm still in Arizona. We wanted to extend our road trip a little longer, so we're staying at a hotel. This number? It's Isaac's. He got a new one. Mine's acting dumb, that's why you couldn't call me. Anyway, I was calling to let you know we might not be able to drive back. Isaac has this big job promotion and has to get back to Cali. I could always stay with him, but I'd be missing class. No, you don't have to pick me up, I'll figure something out with Isaac. Okay. I'll call you later then. Love you, too."
Placing a plate of eggs down in front of her, I raise an eyebrow. "Did you just completely lie to your mother?"
Elsa bites the inside of her cheek. "I don't know how to tell her. I can't-" She chokes up and shakes her head. "She's going to be devastated."
My skin pricks as it sinks in that this was more serious than it seemed. I sit down across from her, folding my arms on the table. "What really happened?"
She takes a deep breath and sighs shakily. "I'm attending a college in Chicago," she explains. "And Isaac moved away for a job opportunity in Los Angeles. And he came back, wanting to spend time together. We both decided on a road trip, since I was on spring break. He drove all the way out to see me, so I figured we might as well." She pauses. "Everything was fine until he started talking about the time we spent apart."
I frown as she looks down, her hands hidden away somewhere on her lap behind the table.
"He cheated on me," she whispers. "And he expected me to be okay with it."
I wince, sensing the hurt she felt. "Were you guys in relationship for a long time?"
Elsa raises her head to meet my eyes before slowly resting her hands on the tabletop. She clutches the edge with her fingers. "We were engaged."
My eyes widen. I let my gaze fall to her white knuckles and noticing the engagement ring. Holy shit.
"Elsa...I-I...fuck." I rub my neck and jaw, not exactly sure what to say. She was supposed to get MARRIED?
"He proposed before he left," she says in a small voice. "He confessed what he'd done, but that didn't make it any less wrong. I told him he didn't love me, and that really pissed him off. So he told me 'Go fuck, yourself, Els. If that damn ring around your finger isn't enough to show you I love you, then you're a selfish, heartless bitch.'" She finally looks up and, through her tears, gives a weak smile with her chin quivering. "And now I'm here."
That look made me want to tear my heart right out of own chest. "I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have even asked."
"You were going to find out eventually," she mutters, wiping her eyes. Her eyebrows furrow. "You know what the fucked up part is? I don't hate him. And I still haven't taken off the ring."
Elsa stares down at her fingers splayed out on the table. "I don't know why I'm even fucking wearing it right now."
I bite my lip. "You really didn't deserve that. He's an asshole. And he's the one that fucked up, so he had no reason to be mad and treat you like that."
"I know," she croaks. "He's just impulsive." As if accepting defeat, she finally picks up the fork I put in front of her and cuts into the eggs.
I start eating my eggs too, not wanting to make her uncomfortable and not daring to ask any other questions.
After the food is gone from her plate, I give her an apologetic look. "I really am sorry. That's really shitty."
She shrugs. "Life is shitty."
Touche, I think.
I hesitantly lay my hand over hers, the one that didn't have the ring. I hold her gaze. "You can stay as long as you need. I mean it."
Her smile seems genuine. "Thank you, John."
♠ ♠ ♠
Oooh, drama! I'd love to hear thoughts on what you all think of Elsa. I'm trying to make her come off as spunky/playful while at the same time sweet and shy.
I assure you, romance is coming in the following chapters. These things take time, and with time, comes patience!