Room With No Windows

Just Friends.

"John! Why did you stuff all of my clothes under your bed?!"
I bite my lip, scratching the back of my neck as I laid out the clothes. Her shirts and jeans were wrinkled from having them balled up down there so long.
We were packing her things into a small suitcase because I was going to have her stay at my parents' house for a while, though she didn't know that part yet. She thought we were staying at Halvo's. Only I was staying at Halvo's; I wasn't letting Eric anywhere near her.
Elsa groans as I hand her the shirt that she had originally owned. "Great."
"Sorry about that," I mutter. "I was...frustrated."
Her eyebrows furrow. "Frustrated?"
I shrug my shoulders and run my thumb over her knuckles. "I couldn't stand the thought of you not being here."
She blinks, replying with a simple, "Oh" and blushing. I chuckle. I don't think she realized how attached I had gotten; I hadn't realized it myself before that night.
With a soft kiss to her eyelids, I pull her closer to me and sigh. "Don't worry about the clothes. I'll buy you some more the next time we go out-"
"Don't buy me things," she pleads. "Please, don't try and buy me."
I frown. "I'm not trying to buy you, Ellie. I just want to do something nice for you, Why is that such a bad thing?"
"Isaac would buy me everything," she whispers, not meeting my eyes.
Oh.
"Okay," I mumble, lifting her head with my finger. "Then how about this instead: next time we go out, I help you pick out what to buy."
"You'd go shopping with me?"
I smirk. "I mean, I've done it once before. I think I can handle it. Besides..." Leaning down to her ear, I slip my arms around her waist. "I wouldn't mind getting into the dressing room with you."
She smacks my chest but her face is red. I laugh, pressing my lips to hers. "I'm kidding."
"Sure you were," she scoffs, suppressing a smile. Her fingers slip through mine. "Thank you. I hope Eric doesn't think I'm a slob, though."
I bite my lip. "Actually, we're not going to Eric's."
"What? Where are we going then?"
"With my parents."
Her eyes widen. "Your parents?! They haven't even met me yet! I can't stay with them, what if they hate me? Oh my God, what if-"
I laugh. "Ellie, calm down. They're not going to hate you. Trust me." I roll my eyes and sigh. "My mom won't be able to shut up about you later, I know it. They'll love you."
She shoots me a skeptical look. "Are you sure it's a good idea I stay with them? Isn't it a bit too obvious?"
"That's why it's only for a little while. Isaac knows you'll always be with me no matter what, so you'll stay with them until I find you a secure place to stay. You'll be safe with them." I press my lips to her nose. "No one's gonna touch a hair on your head."
I feel her take a deep breath. She looks up at me and tries to smile. "Okay. But now you need to take me shopping because I am not showing up to your parent's house with wrinkly clothes."

She looked hot. I mean, really, really hot. It was hard to figure out if she was trying to impress my parents or me.
The first outfit she'd tried on was a pair of red pants and a black sleeveless top. I told her if she didn't buy it for herself, I would. Then again, I said the same thing when she walked out wearing a pair of black skinny jeans and a denim button up shirt. Her black boots gave both outfits an edgy look and I think I was enjoying it a little too much.
But when she walks out this time, her feet were bare. I look up and see her wearing a soft light blue dress with a mesh cut out and a thin brown belt at the waist. The skirt ended just above her knees and fanned out.
She pulls her chestnut hair over one shoulder and I sit up straighter from the small bench, staring in astonishment. She looked...beautiful.
She bites her lip. "What? Does it not look good?"
"No, it looks great," I huff, shaking my head. I gaze at her a bit longer, grinning. "You should wear that to my parents'."
Her lower lip juts out in a pout. "Do you think they'll like it?"
I stand and make my way over to her, brushing my knuckles against her cheek. "Elsa, they're going to love you no matter what you wear, so quit worrying."
A smile spreads across her face, her arms wrapping around my neck. I really wasn't looking forward to leaving her with my parents. We'd already been away from each other for way too long, and to have to do it again felt like torture. But I knew it was the smart thing to do. Isaac knew I would be with her. Wherever I was, she was, and I couldn't run that risk of him finding her again.
"Come on," I murmur, pressing my forehead against hers. "Let's go pay for all this clothes and head out."
Elsa bites her lip. "I'm not sure I'll be able to take it all. I've got about twenty bucks on me."
That's right, I think, I'd stolen her away from Isaac before she could take anything.
"I'll help pay for it," I tell her, smirking. "You can repay me later."
"But I didn't see you grab your wallet-"
"It's called a credit card, Ellie." I smile. "Get with the times."
She giggles, brushing her lips against mine. It's almost like last night never happened and I was relieved.
We were slowly going back to the way we were. Everything else was just a scraped knee that was still healing.

I pull into my parents' driveway, turning the keys in the ignition and looking over at Elsa, who frankly looked like she was about to throw up.
"Darlin', you have nothing to worry about," I sigh for the hundredth time. She was stressing over what to say, how to act, and in what manner to greet them. I'd already told her she was overreacting and that it wasn't a big deal, but she didn't believe me.
She smooths down her dress that she'd worn out of the store. "Okay. Okay."
I roll my eyes. "You're freaking out over nothing," I repeat myself.
"Sorry," she mutters. "I just want them to like me. I-"
My lips press to hers to finally shut her up and I smile when I pull away. "Then don't be anyone other than the girl I fell in love with."
She blushes and nods.
We climb out of the truck and I leave the suitcase inside for now. I wanted them to meet her first before I asked if she could stay a few days.
I ring the doorbell, taking Elsa's hand in mine and hearing her take a deep breath. I kiss her forehead. "Remember, just be yourself."
My mother opens the door and gasps. "Sweets! Oh, it's so good to see you!"
I chuckle and give her a quick hug and peck on the cheek. "Hey, ma. Are you and dad busy?"
"No, we're just relaxing. You won't believe who came to visit." She grins and I feel my stomach churn. Please don't let her be talking about Joey.
"I might," I mumble, changing the subject. "Anyway, I wanted to introduce you to someone."
She smiles politely. "I noticed. Hello, dear."
"Hi," Ellie greets, grinning back. "It's nice to meet you."
"And what's your name?"
I clear my throat. "This is Elsa. Can we come in?"
Her smile widens, the corners of her eyes crinkling. "Of course! Your father's in the living room with...Well, you'll see."
She guides us into the room and I freeze as I see who was sitting on the couch across from my dad, laughing and talking with him.
Oh crap.
God dammit, I think as my father looks over at me, raising an eyebrow.
"Hey, pops," I say in a monotone. "Hi, Joey."
She gives me a smile, trying hard not to resent me. "Hi, John. Good to see you again, Elsa."
Elsa waves. "Hey. You too."
"So son, who's this?"
I bite my lip. Joey was here. How the hell was I supposed to say this with her here? I'd already hurt her before. I couldn't just announce that I was with someone in front of her.
Swallowing thickly, I rest my hand on the small of Elsa's back. "This is my friend, Elsa. Elsa, this is my dad."
I feel her look at me, her eyes drilling into me like daggers. I could sense the question in the air: Friend?
I'm so fucked.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for the sweet comments before! It really cheered me up about everdeen's haiku from my story *insert pouty face* *insert crying emoji*
Anyway...
Ooooooh! I hope you guys enjoy this one because I really had fun writing it. I'd love to hear more from you and what you think, especially about Joey.
In case of any of you were curious about how I imagined Elsa's dress, here ya go: http://fashionattractive.com/baby-blue-dress-with-mesh-cut-out-picture-image-tumblr/
P.S. I AM SO MAD AT MYSELF BECAUSE I MISSED A HUGE DETAIL IN CHAPTER 11+12 AND I DONT KNOW HOW NONE OF YOU CAUGHT IT. I fixed it now but did anyone notice that Halvo showed up and interrupted their shower when he was still supposed to be in California? Please let me know because it is going to bother me for the rest of my life.