Room With No Windows

When It Rains.

She wouldn't sit next to me the entire time we were at my parents'. She smiled and talked to them, but she barely spoke a word to me. At least my mom and dad were adoring her. They didn't seem to notice that she was ignoring me. And if they did, they were doing a good job of hiding it.
Joey was still sticking around, despite having me in the room. I sat in an empty sofa chair by myself while everyone else was chattering away.
What really threw me off is that Elsa was talking to Joey. She was probably only doing it to get back at me. But I couldn't blame her. I knew she would be pissed.
I see my mom rise to her feet and when she says she is going to the kitchen, I hop up. "I'll go with you."
She smiles, knowing that there were things we needed to discuss. If anyone would understand the situation, it was my mom.
A sigh slips past her lips as she turns on the tap water to wash her hands. "That girl isn't just your friend, John. You were holding hands with her and beaming when you got here. Then you saw Joey and now you two won't even look at each other. Am I right?"
I nod. "It's complicated."
"It's actually not, hun. You're either afraid of hurting someone, or you're just not ready."
"That's the thing, ma," I groan, rubbing the back of my neck. "I didn't expect for that to come out of my mouth. Elsa means worlds more to me than just a friend, but I just panicked. If I had known Joey was gonna be here, I would've-"
My mother smacks her lips, tutting me. "Now, John. I know you cared about Joey and were only looking out for her feelings, but think about how that poor girl must have felt. She showed up here thinking you were going to show her off to us, and you chickened out."
I scoff. "Thanks, mom."
"I'm only telling you the truth, sweets," she says softly, patting my cheek. "You're going to have to come up with a big apology. She is absolutely delightful and you would have to be a fool to let that one slip away too."
I wince. Well, if there was one thing my mom was good at, it was telling it like it is.
"You're right," I mumble, resting my hands on the counter and letting my shoulders slump. "That was a really stupid move."
She was absolutely right. How could I put my ex's feelings first before my own girlfriend's? Elsa had every reason to be upset. I understood the neglect she was probably feeling right now; I just couldn't understand why I'd done that.
My mom dries her hands and turns to me. "It'll be fine, dear. You still should have spoke the truth. Now Elsa must be sitting in there thinking that she isn't good enough. And I was so excited for you to finally hear you say you were in a relationship." She shakes her head, clicking her tongue and sighing. "And you both looked so precious."
"There's actually something else I came here to tell you," I mutter, running a hand through my hair. I bite my lip. "Mom, Elsa-"
"Oh God, John Cornelius O' Callaghan the Fifth, did you get her pregnant? Am I going to have grandkids?!"
"Mom, no!" I shout, my eyes wide. I feel my cheeks heat up. "It's nothing like that. I need to ask for a favor."
I notice the slight disappointment in her face as she sighs. "Oh. What is it, sweets?"
There really was no light way to put this...
"I was going to ask you if you wouldn't mind letting her sleep here for a couple nights. She needs a place to stay because her ex-fiancee is a psycho and broke into my place trying to look for her. He drove all the way from Ohio to find her. I'm worried what he might do if he does."
Her expression was simply terrified. "Goodness. Where on earth did you find this girl?"
The corners of my lift twitch. "I like to think she found me."

After Joey had finally left about twenty minutes later, I let out a sigh of relief. Now I could talk to my parents one on one about Elsa. My mom said she had no problem with her staying, but I needed to run it by my dad of course before making any decisions.
"So, uh, pops," I mumble, standing beside him as he stays seated. "I wanted to ask for a favor."
He looks up at me and raises an eyebrow. "What's that, son?"
I rub the back of my neck. How was I going to clarify that Elsa was more than just my friend?
Thankfully, my mother walks in and saves me the trouble. "Looks like we'll be having a guest for the next few weeks, Jay! You're going to feel right at home with us, dear."
Elsa gives a tight smile as my mom drapes an around her. Fuck, she was still mad at me.
"Is that so?" my dad chuckles. "That's perfectly fine. Can I ask why?"
Before I have a chance to answer, my mom responds, sounding casual and confident. "Elsa has been living out of her state for a few weeks, but John needs to do some construction at his place."
I stare at her, dumbfounded. I hadn't even told her about the door. How was she so good at lying?
My father nods and looks over at Elsa. "Well then, you're more than welcome."
"Thank you," she says politely. Rising from the couch, she looks over at me for the first time during the whole conversation. "I guess you can leave now and keep working on construction. "
Okay, that stung. She didn't want me here? She was really that mad?
"I'll show you where my room is, if you want," I start.
"Don't worry," she insists. "I'll figure it out."
She leaves the room, seemingly making her way toward the front door. I sigh, following behind her. "Elsa-"
"Just leave, John," she snaps, spinning around to face me.
I wince, reaching out for her face. "Darlin', I-"
She flinches away before I could touch her. "What are you doing? Last time I checked, we were friends ."
"Look, I'm sorry. I panicked. I was worried Joey would get upset and-"
Her eyes light up. "And what about me? I'm not going to get upset?"
"Yes, but-"
"YOU CANNOT CARE MORE ABOUT THE FEELINGS OF A GIRL YOU ARE NOT EVEN WITH ANYMORE THAN YOUR GIRLFRIEND."
"I just-"
She shakes her head and bolts for the stairs. I notice my mom observing from afar and roll my eyes, pulling my hands through my hair.
"Just give her some time," she whispers soothingly.
I feel my eyes prick. This isn't how I imagined me leaving her here. I was sure that she would be giving me that little pout, asking if I really had to go, while I assured her it was only for a while and that I would call her every night. I pictured us exchanging quick brief soft kisses repeatedly, the both of us waiting for the other one to be the first to pull away.
"Ma," I groan, dropping my head on her shoulder dramatically. She chuckles. "It'll be alright, sweets. Remember that she's still expecting a big apology. It's going to take more than just an 'I'm Sorry.'"
A light goes off in my head. That's it.
I give her a peck on the cheek. "I'll see you later, mom. I've got some work to do."

It began to rain later at night, which was just my luck considering I wasn't planning to go in through the front.
I park my truck a block away and pick up my guitar that I'd brought with me, making a run for it. When I reach the side of the house, I made my way toward the trellis to climb up -sue me, I snuck out a couple times and knew my way around.
With my guitar strapped to my back, I use both hands to climb up the side of the house as the water came pouring down on my face.
Reaching the small balcony outside my room, I step onto the veranda and peak through my window. Elsa was sitting on my bed, reading one of the countless books I'd left on my old shelves. I chuckle, tapping the glass lightly with my knuckles. She jumps, looking around before her gaze finally settles on me.
Her eyes widen as she storms over, speaking in a fast whispered babble as she opens the window to let me in. "John, what are you doing here? Are you insane? How did you even get up here? You're soaking wet, you're going to get sick! Why did-"
I press my palm over her mouth when I'm completely in my room, guiding her over to a wall to quiet her and press my palm more firmly. She looks at me with wide eyes, frozen. I remove my hand to cover her lips with mine instead. I'd missed them way too damn long to let her anger get in the way.
When she didn't fight me, I kiss her again, slower this time. There was something thrilling about being in my old room, under my parent's roof. The risk of getting caught made me feel like a teenager all over again. There was electricity in the atmosphere that was threatening to paralyze me.
I pull away and she blinks. I smirk. "Didn't think you'd be seeing me soon, would you?"
She shakes her head.
I bite my lip. "Are you still mad at me?"
Her shoulders shrug.
My eyebrows furrow as I brush a strand of hair from her face. "I know it was stupid of me. But I'm so used to being concerned about her, ya know?" I sigh, dropping my head. "I guess a part of me is expected to care when I know I shouldn't. You're my girlfriend now and I'm so sorry that I put her feelings before yours."
I approach my bed and sit on the edge as I pull the guitar over my head in front of me. "I thought you might like to hear me play. I told you I would one day, and I haven't yet."
A small smile grows on her lips as I start to play. Her eyes soften when I begin to sing.
I've fucked up again,
I shouldn't drive tonight but I keep thinking of you.
I hurt you again,
I shouldn't lie tonight so the next few words are true.
Never again, never again, no, will I leave you high and
Never again, never again, no
Never again, never again, no, will I leave you high and dry
This time, I more than mean it.

I sing the rest of the chorus until she makes her way over to me. "You're going to get sick."
It took me a second to understand what she was talking about, when I remembered my clothes was drenched.
Chuckling, I rest the guitar down against the corner of a wall and pull my shirt over my head. I see her bite her lip, her eyes running over my chest and stomach. She looks up at me, reaching for my hair and pushing it back on my forehead, a droplet of water running down the bridge of my nose. Her fingers wipes it away and I feel my mouth twisting into a crooked smile.
"This doesn't mean I forgive you," she breathes as I clutch her waist to bring her closer. I feel her chest pounding against mine, feeling the same rush of adrenaline in the room.
"I'll just have to apologize later then, won't I?" I murmur as I lean down, closing the distance. Her hands grip my shoulders tightly and I deepen the kiss.
A small sound slips past her lips and causes a pang in my gut. I wonder what other noises I could get her to make.
I groan, just the thought making me want to rip my shirt that she was wearing right off.
Elsa gasps when I gently push her down on the bed and climb on top of her. My nose nuzzles into her neck, lightly running my tongue along her skin. I feel her pant as I got closer to her lips. She whimpers and I slide the shirt off her shoulders.
Her hands sink into my hair and she suddenly rolls us over somehow, now straddling my waist. She notices me staring at her hungrily and crashes her mouth against mine.
"It's not a good idea to be doing this here," she whispers, her hips grinding softly. She wasn't stopping for one second.
I lick my lips as I slide my hand up to her breast. "Terrible idea."
A moan escapes her and she reaches for the waistline of my jeans. Every part of me was scorching hot.
She presses her lips to mine, hard and desperate. I pant, running my hands along the side of her waist. My thumb brushes against her hip and she shivers. "J-John. Please tell me you have something."
Damn it.
I sit up quickly, opening up my old drawers and rummaging through my stuff. There had to be something. Fuck, why didn't I think of this?
I sigh in frustration, running a hand through my hair. "I don't. I-I...I wasn't expecting-"
"It's okay," she mumbles, suddenly embarrassed and climbing off of me. I hold back a whine, stomping my foot on the inside. God fucking dammit. Way to go, O' Callaghan.
I kiss her forehead before laying down with her, chuckling. "Sorry, sweetheart."
"It's okay," she giggles. "I don't think we would've been able to keep quiet enough for your folks."
Well, she had a point there.
Changing the topic, I murmur into her hair, "I really am sorry, Elsa."
She sighs, resting her hand on my chest. "It's okay. I'm still mad at you though."
I think she realized and knew as well as me that we couldn't last a day without being together. If this was her being mad at me, I couldn't complain.
I wrap my arms around her, smiling. "I'm okay with that."
♠ ♠ ♠
Ooooh, almost sex scene. I could use a few more opinions on a few things; what should I do with Isaac? Should Elsa continue to stay with John's parents orr should I make her room with another certain someone who, oh, I dont know, knows all of John's secrets? ;)