Room With No Windows

Home. (Epilogue)

“Ruby! Get outta there!”
I laugh as the dog scurries out from under our slanted couch from Halvo’s call, leaning up against the wall. We’ve finally hauled the last few heavy boxes out of the room and were now standing outside of the house. A few of the guys were nice enough to help us out with the moving and loading the truck.
Yes, it was hard to believe we would be living somewhere that wasn’t right here. But two long years of Elsa and I living with no principles of personal space, we decided it was a good time to upgrade. I was going to miss it; it along with all the memories we shared, but I was excited for what the future held and what memories we could make in our new home.
We were still staying in Arizona and relatively in the area, except the scenery was much quieter and farther from the city. I didn’t mind it at all.
Ellie walks up beside me with a sigh, looking dreamily up at the small home. I think she was nostalgic about the whole thing too.
I watch as she makes her way up the steps to the propped open screen door and rests a hand there. “I can’t believe this is the last time we’re gonna set foot in here.”
“Me neither,” I chuckle, approaching and resting my hand on the small of her back. Tim scoffs as he brushes past with a box. “What are you talking about? You haven’t yet.”
I roll my eyes and snatch the box from him, carrying it towards the truck. There wasn’t much left to load. There wasn’t much, period. All the furniture and our stuff pretty much fit onto my truck so it would only take one car and one trip. The mattress was strapped to the top and everything else was strategically placed.
Jared and Tim help take the couch outside and place it in the back of the truck, squeezing it in.
“Okay, I think that’s the last of it,” Eric says as he carries out a large bin of clothes. Elsa looks up at me misty eyed and I lay a gentle kiss to her brow. It was safe to say we’d both gotten attached to our little safe haven that held so much history. But now we were onto bigger and better things in starting a life together and I couldn’t be happier that we had gotten this far. To reach this stage was…it was unreal.
“John?”
My glance settles on her thoughtful expression. “Yeah, Ellie?”
She bites her lip. “Do you think it’ll be different from everything we’re used to?”
I chuckle at her overthinking and wrap my arm around her waist. “Darlin’, it’s gonna be a whole other world of different. But as I’ve learned with you, none of that matters as long as I’m home, really home, right here with you.”
She beams and faces me, her hands pressing on my chest. “I guess you have a point. We’ll always have a home in each other, no matter how crazy it gets, right?”
“Always,” I reassure her in a whisper. “You’re my home for life, Elsa.”
She gives me a knowing grin before taking one last look back at the old house. She knew she had a permanent place in my heart. But one day, there would be a whole other room. There was always a little more room for more, right?
“You ready to go?” I mumble softly, my eyes falling over her like they had the first day we met. Her eyes were as astounding as ever, her honey brown hair was like a veil, and her skin was glowing.
She lays a hand over her round belly, gives a soft smile, and looks out to the horizon. “Yeah. Time to see our new home.”
♠ ♠ ♠
~THE END~