Hit and Run

Chapter 1

"Another beer please!" The words slurred from my wet tongue. The world was violently rocking beneath me. What had happened to the man I was? I am now just a drunken fool. I guess I had my reasons, though. My wife, Katherine, left me for another man, a man I already knew who was better than me, my wife's own boss. They were getting down and dirty for about a month now, at least that's what my wife had told me.

The bottle of beer was pounded onto the counter right in front of my face. I watched as the liquid splashed up into the air. I grabbed the beer with my large claws and I sucked it down, feeding my satisfaction. The type of beer I was drinking tasted like wheat and piss, not a very good combination but it was something exceptional enough for me to numb the pain and make me forget about what a whore my wife was. We hadn't even been married a year yet and she had already started cheating on me. I should have seen it coming, from a twenty-three year old. That's what I get for marrying someone younger than me. I am a twenty-eight year old. It was just a five-year age difference but maturity wise? My wife works as a call center representative, she talks to people over the phone, and I worked as a forensic accountant, I take care of all of the bad guys’ money while they are in jail or prison, or once they got have gotten out. My wife and I both have very professional jobs but she still doesn’t know how to be mature and handle a relationship.

After I finished off my beer, I slammed it down onto the counter where there had been a puddle, most likely a puddle of the beer I had been drinking.

“One more, puh-lease.” I stammered. Yet another beer was handed to me. I stood up and riddled through the pocket of my jeans then lay a twenty-dollar bill onto the dry side of the counter. “Thank you.” I stammered yet another set of words.

As walking out from the bar, I bump into a drunken man, a man more drunk than me, maybe even compared to anyone else in the bar. He was stumbling around, dancing to Jimi Hendrix blasting loudly from the jukebox sitting all by itself in the corner of the bar. I glance at the man, staring into his eyes. "Never look into a stranger's eyes, Mikey. You never know what could happen." My mom told me once as a young boy, around the time when I started high school.

Before I knew, the fool swung his fist at me. I was too drunk to know what exactly was happening. His hard knuckle hit my nose and you could hear my nose crack. I dropped my bottle of beer and it crashed down to the hard, wood floors. The glass bottle fell apart cleaving pieces of glass scattered upon the floor.

The blood gushed from my nose, like a red waterfall with splotches of even darker colored blood in it. It was a quite disgusting feeling, blood pouring out from your nose.

Blood dripped down upon my face, leaving bloodstains smudged onto my mouth, chin, and there were even some drops of blood smeared on my neck. My immediate reaction was to clean it up. I had seen a napkin dispenser on the table next to me. I grabbed it and took tons of the napkins, pinching my nose with them. I staggered out of the bar quickly and hurried out to my car. It was almost the worst experience at a bar I ever had, besides the time I fell asleep and woke up to some prostitute who I am pretty sure was a transvestite touching me in places a married man shouldn't be touched.

I approach my car and dig through my pockets for my keys so I could open my car. Slowly, they fall out of my pockets and crash down onto the ground. I look down at the ground and I get on all four looking for my keys. I see the small, silver key and I reach out for it. I grab them and manage to sit up. A burp escapes my chapped lips and I smelled the nasty stench of the beer I had drunk. I air out the stench and I carefully stand up. I open my car and sit inside. I start the car and I back out from the parking lot. Driving made me have a headache. My world felt like it was spinning, like I can't control any of it. I drive down through the countryside of town and continued to drive. I press my foot down onto the gas pedal and continue speeding down the country road. It was pitch black outside and I hadn’t a clue where I had been driving.

For what seemed like hours, I had still been driving. I had still been driving until I saw a dead deer lying on the road. I slow down and stop right in front of it. I open my car door and I get out of it. Still completely drunk, I go up to it and stop.

“Michael…” A voice in the wind had whispered. I flinch and look to my right, in the direction of where I had heard the voice calling my name.

“Michael!” A different voice screamed an ear-piercing scream.. I jumped into the air and looked to my left side, in the direction of where the other voice had called me, frightened of who or what could have been there.

"Who's there?” My voice echoes escaping into the atmosphere, I look around dizzily and clumsily fall onto the hood of my car. I hurried back into my car, spooked, and locked me inside. I feel a vibration in my pants and can hear the obnoxious ringtone ring from the pocket of my pants. I let out a sigh of relief. I take my phone out and answer it.

"Hello?" My drunken voice had said, I turned the key in the ignition, starting the car.

"Michael, it's me, your mother." My mother said, her old, frail voice had croaked like a frog.

I cleared my throat to speak. "Hey, mom." I said loud and clearly.

"I have some bad news.“ She said, choking. “To Michael, it sounded like she might of been crying. Katherine just got in a car accident.” She said, her voice cracking. “Michael she didn’t make it.”