The Call

Chapter 1

I knew the life of a hockey player, as my brother Jeff Skinner was a pro hockey player for the Carolina Hurricanes. I just didn’t realize how hard it would be to date one. Against Jeff’s wishes, I started to date Zac Dalpe. I knew when I met him for the first time that he was the love of my life, now I’m not so sure. Zac and I had been fighting constantly. Yes I knew Zac was under pressure with training camp and making the cuts to stay up in Raleigh with the Hurricanes.

At first, I was living with Jeff, but once Zac and I got involved, I was back and forth between Raleigh and Charlotte.

“I really could care less if you made it”

Zac had been doubting himself, and why I was sticking with him. “What’s that supposed to mean? You don’t want me to make it?!” Zac yelled.

“It means I love you, not Dalps number nineteen for the Hurricanes or Checkers. It doesn’t matter if you’re up in the NHL, AHL or not playing at all. As long as you’re happy, then I am too. I’ve been with you through it all, and I’m not going anywhere.” Zac grabbed my waist and kissed my forehead.

“That’s why I love you. You really don’t care if I don’t make the Hurricanes full time?”

“no, as much as I’d love for you to be up with them, I can only handle my bother for so long before he drives me crazy.” Zac smirked.

“Of course babe, but I’d really…” I cut him off.

“I know you can.” I kissed him.

Most girls who had a brother in the NHL would be thrilled to only see their brother three months out of the year. Nope, not me, I get to see Jeff all year. I’m not complaining, but sometimes I need a break. Well, I got my wish…

Zac had just gotten off the phone, and was unreadable.

“Babe, talk to me.” I handed him a beer, and he refused it.

“Kristyn, I’m being traded to Vancouver.”

It took me a few minutes to comprehend. I hated the Canucks and I hated Torts as well.

“I..that’s great Zac. I don’t care if you’re over in Europe playing, I’ll always support you. Even if I stay in Raleigh, I’ll be there for you, nothing will change.”

In reality, I was pissed. I didn’t want my boyfriend to leave, but at the same time, I knew in the hockey world, it was always possible.

I knew Zac was in shock, and quite frankly so was I. Figuring I should give him space, I stepped outside to call Jeff.

“You know one of those favors you owe me?” I immediately said.

“yeah?” he sounded half asleep.

“I need you to talk to Jim Rutherford and Kirk Mueller. They traded Zac.” I tried to remain calm.

“I’d love to Kristyn, but I can’t.”

I was too fed up at this point. “Fine! If you won’t help me, I’ll call Eric!”

If anyone had any pull it would be the Captain or as luck would have it, my best friend’s brother.

“KRISTYN GRACE! DON’T YOU DARE!” Jeff yelled.

“Who’s going to stop me?” I challenged.

“I mean it, Kristyn!” he used his big brother voice, one he didn’t use often. I hung up on him.

“Zac! I’m going for a drive!” I yelled.

“okay be safe!” he yelled back. I knew exactly where I was going.

I banged on the door until he answered. “Kris, what are..” I pushed him inside.

“Zac’s being traded! You and Eric have to do something!” I screamed.

“I can’t!” I started pushing and punching him.

“You’re fucking alternate Jordan! I love Zac and he can’t leave!” I broke down and he held me, while I was crying.

“What do I do Jord?” yes, I had been through my brother leaving, until I left and came to Raleigh, but this was different. Jordan rubbed my back.

“Just be there for him. Continue to support him. Zac’s going to need you.”

After my freak out on Jordan, I calmed down enough to drive to Zac’s. “I’m sorry I drove off. I knew we weren’t in the right mindsets. I didn’t want us to say or do anything we would regret”

“I know. I’m sorry too. I don’t know what’s going to happen, but all I know is I want us to work.” I smiled softly.

“We will Zac. I’ll be in Vancouver whenever I can. I told you, I’m always going to support you.”

“I know that, but I’m scared. “ I sat next to him.

“Don’t be. Show them what you can do. Hell I may or may not have punched the shit out of Jordan just now..well two hours ago” I said innocently. I had driven the two hours to Raleigh and two hours back.

He gave me that look of ‘are you insane?’

“I was scared, nervous, pissed and I knew Jordan wouldn’t mind.”

The next morning, I quietly got out of bed, and started making breakfast. I was in the middle of flipping pancakes, when I felt Zac’s arms around my waist. “when do you leave?”

“tomorrow.” I sighed.

“so what do we do with the apartment?”

“keep it. I signed the lease over to you this morning, the rent is paid for, and I’ll continue the payments.” I was shocked.

“Zac…”

“you deserve it and I know you don’t want to live with Jeff the whole time.” He did have a point. There was no way in hell I’d live with him again.

Jordan: “Are you okay today?”

Kristyn: “yeah, thanks, did I hurt you?”

Jordan: “I’ll live.”

I rolled my eyes, knowing he had the Staal shit-eating grin on his face.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wrote this back when Zac Dalpe first got traded and just finished it. hope you like it :) #TeamDalpe