The Call

Chapter 2

Most of the day was spent packing Zac’s stuff. We did have trouble packing as we kept getting distracted. You can imagine why it took us most of the day. Yeah, I’m not as innocent as my family thinks anymore. Technically, I could go back home to Markham, ON. I wouldn’t be able to do what I wanted. My dad had a hold on me and didn’t even know about Zac. Besides, I had to stay in Carolina to take care of my apartment, and Jeff. We crashed early, and I knew when we woke up, I’d have to be strong. We had packed and were shipping Zac’s things. It was bittersweet at the airport.

“be careful up there, and show them what you can do.” I hugged him.

“Don’t worry baby, everything will be alright.” I nodded and watched him go to the security.

As soon as he left I did the only thing I knew that would fix this. I had Mueller call a team meeting. The boys were all standing around wondering why there was a meeting.

“Alright guys, listen up! Kristyn has something important to say.” Mueller said.

“Thanks coach” I nodded.

“I don’t want any of you meeting or going to a Taylor Swift concert.”

“but I…” I knew it was Jordan.

“have you NOT learned anything?!” I yelled, smacking the back of his head, resulting in a bunch of laughs from the guys.

“I’m saying this for your own good. I thought it was just a Penguins curse, sorry Jordy) but no.” I went to tell them what happened with Nashville and Los Angeles.

“I love..” I turned to Jordan.

“Let’s see, Max Talbot, Alex Goligoski, Tyler Kennedy, YOU.. ring a bell Jordan?! You all got traded!

The same day she was in Pittsburgh, Matt Cooke got traded. Do you WANT to be traded again?” That shut him up.

“what does this have to do with us?” Brett Sutter asked.

“good question, Suttsy. Well Dalps, went to her concert and got a picture with her, and so did Jeff.
Now look where Dalpe is!” I turned to my brother.

“I swear if you’re next I’ll NEVER forgive you!” I took a deep breathe.

“I don’t want our team to be destroyed. We have a good team this season.”

Basically, I went back to Charlotte and did the same thing. Let’s just say Jared and Brody had to hold me back and calm me down.

After I got home, I found a envelope on the table with my name on it and in Zac’s handwriting.

“Kristyn,
When I think back on these times
And the dreams we left behind
I'll be glad 'cause I was blessed to get to have you in my life

When I look back on these days
I look and see your face
You were right there for me

In my dreams I'll always see you soar above the sky
In my heart there'll always be a place for you for all my life
I'll keep a part of you with me
And everywhere I am, there you'll be
And everywhere I am, there you'll be

You know you showed me how it feels
To feel the sky within my reach
And I always will remember all the strength you gave to me

Your love made me make it through
Oh, I owe so much to you
You were right there for me

In my dreams I'll always see you soar above the sky
In my heart there'll always be a place for you for all my life
I'll keep a part of you with me
And everywhere I am there you'll be

'Cause I always saw in you my light my strength
And I want to thank you now for all the ways
You were right there for me, you were right there for me always

In my dreams I'll always see you soar above the sky
In my heart there'll always be a place for you for all my life
I'll keep a part of you with me
And everywhere I am, there you'll be
And everywhere I am, there you'll be

There you'll be

I love you baby. Thanks for supporting me and those words are true. I miss you already. I love you. –Zac”

As soon as I started reading those lyrics, the flood gates opened. I knew Zac would be on the plane, so I left a message.

“The note was so sweet. I love you too. Have a safe flight, and good luck. I love you more than you know.”

Zac had officially played as a Vancouver Canuck. Even though he barely played, I was so proud of him. No, I didn’t go to Vancouver. I was able to watch it on Gamecenter. I decided since Jeff was going on a long roadtrip, and with Zac gone, that I should go home to Markham. I knew I’d be dead, but now that I knew Zac would be around for a while, that daddy should know. Obviously I should’ve waited until Jeff was there for backup, knowing full well that they wouldn’t like it, but I couldn’t hide it anymore.

“Look, I’ve made it on my own without your help, and without Jeff. Yes he is there for me but I don’t let him give me anything. I work my ass off at work, just so that I can afford to even go watch my brother play. I quit hockey to focus on my school and work. Oh and my boyfriend plays hockey too.”
“excuse me?! Boyfriend?” my dad yelled. I was never close with him.

“yes dad. And you can thank Jeff for that. He introduced us and I know he didn’t know we would hit it off like we did. Don’t worry Jeff still looks out for me, doesn’t matter what I say.” I rolled my eyes, really wanting to skate.

Dad had left when Jeff and I were young, and when Jeff made it to the Kitchener Rangers, he contacted mom and well they ended getting remarried. I was pissed. Shortly after, mom passed away from an accident.

I knew dad was angry but I could care less. I missed skating and I knew I had to tell Zac about my hockey skills. I came up with a plan, I just had to put it in action. Unfortunatly, I couldn’t surprise him like I had planned, as I hated his new coach and didn’t have any pull on the Canucks. I did the next best thing.

“Jeff, can you get me some ice time? I’m planning on coming home tonight from Markham. I know bad idea, and I’m paying for it now. So can you do it?”

“I can see what I can do.”