The Call

Chapter 3

A few days later, I laced up my skates and hit the ice with some pucks and my hockey stuff. Zac never knew of my short lived hockey stint because I always had my stuff at Jeff’s, in his garage.
Obviously I had to let the guys in on my plan, as I was practicing with them. Jeff didn’t like my idea, but went with it anyways. I had made up my mind, and it was what I had to do. I missed Zac so much, and yes we would skype, text, and he would call me after every game but I needed something to get the distance off my mind. Well, now was the true test. We were in Vancouver.

Kristyn: “hey babe, I can’t come over until after the game. But I will be there, watching you, and cheering you on.”

Zac: “but I miss you. Please.” It was cute when he begged, but it was easier I didn’t see him until game time, so to speak.

Kristyn: “no. you need to do your game day routine. Trust me, you’ll thank me later for it. I miss you too. And if you play your cards right, you’ll get a surprise”

Zac: “at least give me a hint. And come by before the game starts.”

Kristyn: “Can’t promise that and no. no hints. Now go take your nap. And kick some ass”

I knew I shouldn’t be rooting against my brother’s team but hey, I had to root for my boyfriend too. And he was more important, plus I figured that the Hurricane’s would win.

Honestly, I was a nervous wreck and wanted nothing more than to see Zac and to tell him, so he could comfort me. I did just that, as I walked downstairs, showed security my pass, and walked to the home locker room.

“you’re shaking babe.” He pulled me into his arms and kissed me.

“I know. I’m scared.” I said, not elaborating.

“why? You’ve seen me play before and seen your brother play hundreds of times. It’s no different.”

“yes it is. I’ve never had a boyfriend play against my brother before! I don’t want you guys to hurt each other. Not to mention Jordan too”

‘yes it is. I’ve never played a pro game in my life, and don’t want you pissed at me’ I thought but made up that lame excuse. Somehow, he bought it.

“babe, it’ll be fine. Don’t worry.”

I said goodbye, and headed to the Visitor’s locker room, to get ready for the game. This was the biggest game of my life, and I wasn’t even starting, but then again I knew Zac wasn’t starting either. I had talked to Coach Mueller into putting me on the ice with Zac, knowing he was 4th line, and so was I. I was with Nash, and Ruutu.

“nervous?” I looked at Jordan like he was insane.

“no. what gave you that idea?” I said sarcastically.

“you’ll be fine. No one will hurt you. We won’t let that happen and Zac won’t either.”

“yeah except your forgetting one thing… Zac doesn’t know I’m playing, let alone that I have even played hockey before.”

He pulled me into a hug. “don’t worry Kris. Eric, Jeff and I won’t let anyone hurt you.” Only Jordan was allowed to call me Kris, and for the purpose of me playing, so no one would find out I was a girl. If they did, then I’d have a bounty on my head and I didn’t want that.

It was now game time, and I was on the bench, waiting to go play against my boyfriend. I heard the coach call my line, and this was it. Zac was either going to be happy or pissed off. Zac had the puck, and I nodded to Nash and Ruutu, to let them know I was going after him. I hit him from behind.

“hey babe.” I grabbed the puck, and passed it to Faulk, before skating to the bench. I knew he was stunned, and we would have an out after it was over. I was planning on going to his place with him after the game so the car ride should be interesting. The game wasn’t good for us, we lost 2-0 to Vancouver. I knew Zac would hopefully be in a good mood after shutting us out. I quickly changed and showered and hurried to the Canuck’s locker room, waiting for Zac to come out.

“good game babe.” He pulled me into a hug and we went to the car, yet he was completely silent.

“Zac, say something.”

“what the fuck do you want me to say? You didn’t tell me you were playing, let alone that you played. How the hell do you think I would’ve felt if Kassian or Edler had gotten to you?!”

I knew he was angry but I didn’t think he would be this angry, then again he did have a point. Kassian and Edler were dangerous and I hated them.

“I know, and I’m sorry. I wanted to surprise you and do something for you and I thought this was perfect. You never asked if I played and I had quit years ago. I didn’t even think Mueller was going to put me in tonight. Look, I’m not injured and I’m perfectly fine. Plus Eric, Jordan and Jeff won’t let anything happen to me, as well as the whole entire team.”

“I know.. I am just shocked that’s all. I was expecting to play against your brother, and not you. But damn you’re good. It’s going to take some getting used to but I love it. It will make things interesting from here on out.”

I was so happy he was supporting me on this. We ended up going back to his apartment, eating carry-out and watching a movie. That’s when it happened.

“now we need to work on you to Vancouver.” I looked at him like he was insane.

“in your dreams Dalpe. I don’t like Torts, and we won’t get along. Also, I like playing on the same team as my brother, thank you very much.”

“but I want my fiancée on the same team as me.”

I sat up. “did you take one too many pucks to the head? I’m..” That’s when I saw it. He was holding a box, and opened it, showing a beautiful ring.

“I know we haven’t been at this for very long, and honestly, I don’t want to be apart from you any longer. I knew it the moment we met and then again when I got traded. You never gave up on me. I love you Kristyn and I want you, if you’ll have me, to be my wife. I know we have a lot to work out, like us being on different teams and all, but I love you and I want to spend the rest of our lives together. Will you marry me?”

I was speechless. This was the last thing I expected. “yes. I’ll marry you. I love you Zac Dalpe.” I kissed him, after he slid the ring on my finger. He had the biggest smile in the world. I loved him and
nothing was going to break us apart now.

“I love you too, soon to be Mrs. Dalpe.” I liked the sound of it. I was the happiest I’d ever been. I was playing in the NHL with my big brother, for now, and I was about to be Mrs. Zac Dalpe, life couldn’t get better than that.

FIN
♠ ♠ ♠
Finished, I know it was short..