Bless the Broken Road

Strange Feelings

What happened last night felt like a nightmare, but also a good dream. I got shot at, well, me and Zak Bagans got shot at. I never would expect it in Las Vegas but I guess that's where "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" came from. I got myself ready and decided to drive down the strip instead of walk. I drove about a mile until I was stopped at a red light. Looking over to my left I saw a black Bentley, knowing exactly who it was. I smiled, rolled down my window, and blew my horn, getting his attention. I waved my fingers and gave him a grin, revving my engine. I wanted to race him. "Do you realize what you're doing?" Zak said with a raised eyebrow. "I wouldn't do it if I didn't." I said. He gave a devilish grin while he revved his engine. I couldn't believe what I got myself into. The anticipation grew as the light stayed red. Once it turned green, I floored it. I thought I was going to win at first by judging his car in my rear-view mirror, until he flew by, making us head to head. He obviously has had more driving and racing experience than I have. But I put up a good race for a female amateur. He then motioned me to follow him. Soon enough, we ended up at a destination called "Red Rock Park", a place to hike and sight-see. We both got out of our cars and met each other. "You weren't too bad. I actually thought I was going to lose!" Zak confessed. "Yeah I did too. I have racing experience too you know." I said folding my arms. "Really? How did you learn?" "I used to street race." I said with my head down with guilt. "You law breaker!" Zak poked. "Oh hush! I almost had you!" I laughed poking back. "You almost had me?!" Zak said as if he was a lot better than other people. "Yes, I almost had you! And next time I can promise you that you're going to lose!" I laughed. "I wasn't kidding when I said you had skills. But that's not what I wanted you to follow me. I know it sounds weird what I just said, but I want us to know each other. Maybe become friends? I mean- you're a lot like me and there's not a lot of people out there like me!" Zak laughed nervously. "So, are you asking me out?" I asked folding my arms. "That's for you to decide. I want us to stay connected with each other. I want us to know each other.." Zak said so sternly, but hopefully. "Sure! I would like to get to know you too. Can I get your number?" I asked. "Why not?" Zak gave me his phone number just in case I needed anything or I needed anybody to talk to. He was very open and protective. "Thank you Zak. When do you want to hang out? I leave town in two weeks from today." "Where are you from?" "New Smyrna Beach, Florida." "It's so beautiful there. I want to go back sometime, but to investigate the same location again." Zak admitted, "Let me take you somewhere to eat, so we can get to know each other more?" At first I honestly thought he was pushing me to go out with him or was moving fast. But I didn't know anybody in this town! And who else than Zak Bagans? I agreed for him to take me out to lunch. I followed him in my car into town and to his favorite restaurant in Las Vegas. We sat down at a booth and ordered our drinks. "So, Destiny, don't take me as kind of a weirdo.." Zak started off. "No I don't think that at all!" I joked sarcastically. "So you're from Florida and on vacation here?" "I'm originally from Germany, but moved to Florida and have been there almost half my life." I assured. "What part of Germany?" "Wittenberg. It's about a three hour drive from Berlin." "I've never met a person from Germany before." Zak laughed. "It's nothing special.." I giggled as I took a sip of my drink.
Me and Zak had a good conversation and a good meal. Soon enough, Zak got a phone call from Aaron, asking him to come over to his house to review evidence from last week's lockdown. He seemed disappointed that he had to leave, but I wasn't upset at all. I understood his line of work and his responsibilities he has. "So listen, before I leave I want to ask you something: would you like to come with me to the Nevada SPCA in a couple of days? I want you to see all of the sights." Zak asked with a smile. "I'd love to! Maybe I can find a dog while I'm there." I laughed. Zak paid the waitress and he walked me out to my car. "I'll call you tomorrow and tell you when I'm going to the NSPCA. I don't know what all the guys have planned to do tomorrow." "That's fine, Zak, just take your time. But I am heading back home in two weeks from today." I said. "Trust me, I have plenty of time." Zak said with a grin. I couldn't help but smile. I felt like this man was interested in me, I felt like he was planning to do something out of the ordinary before I went back home to Florida. Before we decided to part ways and move on, Zak moved in to hug me. In the middle of the hug, I got a strange urge to look over his shoulder. I saw the exact same man that shot at us last night, staring at me. "Zak? That's the guy that shot at us last night." I said with a bit of fear of what he could do next. "Zak turned around and pulled me behind him, giving the man an awful stare. "Don't worry about it sweetie, I won't let him come near you." Zak said comforting me. "Get in the car and head back to your motel. I'll follow behind you so that he can't follow you." I really appreciated Zak's care and protection towards me. That's something I never really felt before. I got in my car and pulled out of the parking lot with Zak's car behind me. It was just me and him on the road with nobody else. I soon ended up in the parking lot of my motel. Zak didn't get out of the car, but made sure I made it inside safe. I waved him goodbye and he did the same. I wasn't too afraid at this point. I knew he was just a phone call away and would make sure I was safe. This man was really something and I adored it.