Status: Rating is subject to change O.o

The Time it Takes to Fall

The corners of her mouth

Across the room, she laughed at a joke only she had heard, her mouth breaking into a careless smile as she let a laugh escape. And, like any well-practiced teenager, her face turned immediately somber as the teacher looked back from the board to see who had disrupted his carefully planned teaching session. We all knew he knew what we did, but we also knew he didn’t care.

This day would have been like any other—people laughing, texting under their desks as they watched the red digital clock in the corner of the room, astounded that it had been only two minutes instead of twenty. It would have been a normal day if she hadn’t glanced over at me.

She isn’t popular, and she isn’t the absolute most beautiful girl in the entire world. But she looked at me.

As the teacher turned his back once more, the smile had reentered her face and her eyes and face were all laughing, and when she looked up, her gaze was on mine. I had never really noticed her before, except as a smart girl who happened to be in a few of my classes and gave a boy named Connor smack when he made jokes at her. I had laughed at something she said once in history and walked down the hall with Gina and her, listening to her sarcastic voice, but she had never really mattered until now.

It seems so small, a look at me, with shining eyes and a brilliant smile of avoiding trouble. No one had ever noticed me like she had just then, and I realized I wanted to notice her back.

When I look back, I can hardly remember the first time I heard her name. But how could I forget something that became so important to me?