Max & Me

Exposed

* danelle *

I woke up the next morning to Max's loud cries. Sighing, I rolled over and checked the time. 6am. Beautiful. Remember, I'm really sarcastic at 6am. I kicked my blankets to my feet, and stood up. I dragged myself across the hall to Max's bedroom. I pushed the door open. The first thing I saw was my baby standing up in his crib and screaming.

"Hi baby," I said, reaching over to pick him up. His crying calmed when I picked him up. He began sucking his thumb, as I carried him down the stairs. Normally I can just put Max down on the sofa in the morning with cartoons on. I can try and get some more sleep until Max needs me again. I grabbed the remote and put on a random children's channel.

I placed my son on the couch, and walked into the kitchen. I took a bottle out of the fridge, and warmed it up in the microwave. Once the microwave beeped, I took the bottle out and tested it on my wrist. All good. I closed the microwave door, and went back out to Max.

I passed him the bottle, and I sat down on the ground. I leaned over onto a throw pillow and closed my eyes. Hopefully I can get a little more sleep.

*

"MUM!" Max screamed, trying to wake me up. Startled, I jumped. "What baby?" I asked tiredly, sitting up. I checked the clock. 6:50am. Sighing, I turned back to Max. "What do you need your highness?" I asked, bowing to him. He giggled, "Hungry." He told me. "What do you want to-"

I was cut off by the door knocking. "Who is it?" I called in panic. Who's here at freaking 7am?!

I began looking around the room. Max's things are everywhere. His jolly-jumper, his bottle, his toys, HIM!

"It's Eleanor!" Called my best friend. "Why are you here?" I yelled as I tried to hide Max's things. "We planned shopping at seven. Remember?" She asked, and continued slamming on the door. "Let me in!" She called. "No!" I cried, "I-I'm naked!"

"Why are you walking around the house at seven in the morning, naked?" Asked Eleanor. "Because, I just got out of the shower!" Eleanor laughed, "I'm coming in, Danielle."

"You don't have a key!" I cried, "So HA!"

"Yes, Danielle. I do have a key!"

My eyes widened, as the door handle jiggled. I grabbed Max from the couch, and ran into the kitchen.

I hid behind the island, and heard Eleanor come in.

I put my hand over Max's mouth to try and keep him quiet. He giggled. "Shh." I whispered. "Danielle?" Eleanor called, as her footsteps walked through my home. "I won't look, if you're naked."

"Promise?" I asked. I heard Eleanor come into the kitchen. "Cross my heart." Said Eleanor. "Are your eyes closed?" I asked. "Yeah." Said Eleanor. I peeked around the side of the island, and saw Eleanor with her hands lightly covering her eyes. "Okay, keep them closed." I said, as I came out of hiding. I prepared to sprint of the room.

"BOO!" Eleanor cried, taking her hands off her eyes. I tried to cover Max, but it was too late. Max was already exposed. "Who is that super adorable child?" Asked Eleanor, crossing her arms over her army-style jacket. "He-He's..."

"I want the truth," Eleanor added, "In case you didn't know." I gulped.

"He's my son." I admitted. Eleanor's mouth dropped. "Liam's?" Asked Eleanor, her face showing pure shock. "No, mine." I said. "I was the one who carried him in my belly, and gave birth to him. I've been hiding him for a year. I'm not giving Liam any credit here."

"Oh my god..." Eleanor whispered, "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I was scared... And embarrassed that Liam left me when I was barely two weeks pregnant." Eleanor shook her head, "Who else knows?" She asked. "You're the only one, other than me."

"You could have told me, you know," Said Eleanor, "You could have trusted me."

"I know, and I'm sorry." I told Eleanor, "But please, don't tell anyone."

"I won't." Eleanor whispered, offering a smile. "He is pretty cute. He barely looks like you or Liam though."

I shrugged, "I don't know why he doesn't look like us." Eleanor nodded slowly, looking down at her shoes. "What?" I asked her. "I need more explanation." She told me, "I need to know more." I smiled, "I'll tell you while we're shopping. Deal?"

"Deal."

"But wait..." Said Eleanor. "Louis is driving us around... What do we tell him about Max?" Eleanor asked. "I'll tell Louis that Max is my friends baby who I'm babysitting for a few weeks. I'll get Louis to bring us to Max's daycare, and I can drop Max off there while we shop."

"Who does the daycare think Max is to you?" Asked Eleanor.

"The workers their think he's my nephew." I admitted. Eleanor smiled, "You're a pretty good liar."

I winkned, "Thanks."