Max & Me

Nightmare

“Danielle.” I heard Sophia’s voice say. I opened my eyes, and peered around the room. I didn’t bother to get up. It was just my imagination. “Danielle.” I heard Liam’s voice add. This time, I sat up.

I sat Liam and Sophia standing next to each other. Max was in Sophia’s arms. “Give me my son!” I screamed, jumping up to attack that twig. “Actually,” said Liam, holding his arm our in front of me, “He’s my son too.”

“He’s mine, Liam.” I glared at Liam. “Sorry babe,” said Sophia in a fake voice, “But Liam and I want to raise Max together. We’re going to be a family.”

“He’s my son,” I argued. “I took care of him since I got pregnant. What did you do, Liam? You left me, before I could even tell you about him.” Then I started to get emotional.

Sophia smirked at the tears welling up in my eyes. “C’mon babe.” She said to Liam. “Let’s take our son home.”
I sat up in bed, and looked around. I was sweating all over, and my breathing had quickened by a lot. I kicked my blankets down to my feet, and climbed up. I have to check on Max.

I went to his room, and pushed open the door. Everything looked untouched. I walked forward, and took a peek in his crib. He was sleeping soundly with Berry. I took a huge sigh of relief. I leaned over and kissed his forehead.

I stood there a moment, making sure Max was here, and I’m not hallucinating. Once I was good, I closed Max’s door a little, and went back into my bed. I pulled the blankets back up, and lay in bed. I stared at the ceiling, trying to remember the details of my dream.

Eventually, I fell asleep with the most sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach.

*

I woke up the next morning, feeling horrible. I didn’t feel good, or refreshed, or ready for the new day. I just feel like vomiting. I put my hand over my mouth, and ran to the ensuite bathroom. I felt the sickly feeling rising up in my throat.

I lifted the toilet seat, and bent down. I began to throw up into the bowl. My hands gripped the sides of the toilet, as I vomited. Visions of the dream I had last night rushed back inside me, making me start to cry. I hate Sophia. I hate Liam. I hate everything!

Then, I began to sob. I sobbed, and vomited, and sobbed, and vomited. I sobbed about everything. About Liam getting me pregnant in the first place. About telling Perrie, Louis, and Eleanor. About Liam leaving me.

I think I’m sick. Well, I’m obviously sick. I heard a meow behind me, and recognized that Berry had come into the room, and was rubbing herself across me. I tried to smile at the comfort she was trying to give, but couldn’t.

More vomit began to come, and I just felt like dying. I could hear Max screaming for me to go get him, and the phone ringing downstairs. Everything is piling up too fast. I sniffled, and forced myself top stop vomiting for a moment, while I reached for the garbage can.

Now I can be mobile. I lifted the garbage can to under my face, and flushed the toilet. I leaned against the counter, and held the garbage can between my stomach and the counter while I took a squirt of hand sanitizer.

I rubbed it between my hands, and tried to stop crying. I lifted my hands to the trashcan again, and carried it out of the room, with Berry following.

I put the trash can down outside Max’s door, and walked inside where Max was screaming. I picked him up, and saw that he was very hot. He had a little baby puke stain down his sleeper.

Guess I’m not the only sick one. “Hey baby.” I struggled to say, as I lifted him from the crib. His screamed subsided once he was in my arms. I snatched a random sleeper from the closet, and left the room.

I hate being sick. I picked up the trashcan with my other hand, and walked down the stairs. I struggled to walk. It seemed like so much work. “Mumma.” Max managed to say, as I brought him to his playpen.

“Bubba.” I replied, and leaned down to kiss his forehead. Then realized that might not be a good idea. For 1: I’m sick, and could vomit on him. 2: I’m sick, and so is he.

I put him down inside, and dragged the playpen to the TV. I put a different baby show on, and also turned on Max’s mobile. that’ll keep him occupied for awhile. I’ll change his sleeper in a few minutes, after I call back whoever called.

I picked up the phone from on the sofa, and checked the called ID. It was Eleanor. I hit redial, and listened to the tone. “Hey,” said Eleanor’s voice, “I was thinking we could Max for a walk today. There’s a snowman building contest, and he’d love to see the creations, right?”

“Sorry El,” I apologized, “Max and I are sick.” I heard Eleanor sigh, “Really?” she asked, “That’s horrible. How sick? Cold sick, or puke sick?”

“Puke sick.” I replied. “Oh.” Said Eleanor. “Need me to come over and help out with anything?” she asked, “Because I cleared my schedule up for the snowman thing, and I have nothing to do now.”

“You really want to come hang out with a couple of sicko’s?” I asked. “Totally.” Eleanor assured me, “I love you guys. What kind of Aunt Eleanor would I be if I didn’t come over when little Max was sick?”

“Okay,” I shrugged, “Come over whenever. Oh- And please bring some ginger ale. It always helps with tummy aches.”

“Okay, awesome.” Said Eleanor. “By the way,” I added. “Perrie knows now.” I told Eleanor. “Really?” she squealed. “Really.” I confirmed. “I just had a spur of the moment thing last night.”

“That’s awesome.” Said Eleanor. “But Louis- he keeps trying to hint at Liam about Max…”

“Really?” I asked nervously, and began to bite my nails. Then I realized they tasted like vomit, and stopped quickly. Gross. “Yeah,” said Eleanor, “But I’ve been there to change to subject every time so far.”

“It’s nice that they don’t live in the same house, or something would be going on there. Louis really wants him to know, Dani.” I chewed at my lip, until I realized it tastes like vomit, and stopped. Gross. “Just… keep stalling.” I said, “I’ll figure it out.”

“Got to go, bye. I’ll be over soon.” Said Eleanor, hanging up. “Okay.” I said to the receiver, and hung up. I put the phone down, and sat down on the couch. The playpen obscured my vision to the wonderful baby TV program.

Whatever. I took out my phone again, and scrolled through my texts. The last one… is from Liam. From last night… I opened the message.

11:49pm
To: Danielle P.
From: Liam P.
Dani… you left some things here when we broke up. I’ve been putting off bringing them over. But they’re making Sophia uncomfortable. I’m going to come drop them off at around 9:15 in the morning tomorrow…

I looked at the clock. 9:11am! Oh god. He’s going to be here any minute. I looked around the room at all Max’s things. I looked at the disgusting puke bucket, and dirty dishes. I want Liam to think I’ve been doing good since we split. I don’t want him to think I’ve turned into some dirty mess. I haven’t.

This is just because I didn’t have the energy to clean last night. It was a hard day. I took a deep breath, and began to pick up the dirty dishes, bringing them to the kitchen. I dropped them in the sink, and looked around the kitchen’s mess.

I won’t have time for this. I struggled to wet a washcloth, so I could wash the counters. Just then, the burning feeling in my throat was back. I lifted three fingers over my lips, and held my breath. I looked around for my trashcan, but couldn’t find where I’d put it.

I began to panic, and ran for the main-floor bathroom, right near the front door. I swung the bathroom door open, and lifted the toilet seat. I leaned over it, and began to vomit. I think I vomited everything I’ve eaten this week. I struggled to keep the hair out of my face.

I heard knocks at the door, but didn’t bother to get it. Eleanor knows she can just come in. I watched a few tears drip into the toilet along with the vomit. I hate being sick. It makes me emotional, and vulnerable.

I heard the door open, and close. I just kept vomiting, because the vomit just kept coming. I hate this feeling of sickness. My hair is falling down into my mouth, and I just want my mom to come rub my back, and tell me everything’s going to be okay.

I’d be fine if Eleanor would do that too. It’s comforting coming from someone you love. Moment’s later, my hair was lifted into someone’s hands, and my back was being rubbed. I didn’t bother saying anything. I don’t have the time to, between the vomiting.

“Shhh.” Eleanor said as I sobbed. Somehow, it doesn’t sound like her. Maybe she’s sick too. It wouldn’t surprise me. We hung out all day yesterday. “I just hate everything.” I complained to Eleanor, “I hate being sick, and having to take care of Max alone! I miss Liam, and I hate Sophia for taking him from me! I just want to be happy again!” I complained.

“I wish Liam could see that I love him. I wish he knew. He’s too in love with Sophia though… I just can’t see myself with him again now. He’s in love. Now I have to raise Max by myself. He can’t know about him.”

She dropped my hair, and I held my breath, turning around. My vision was blurry from the tears, but I could see a male figure. Once my eyes adjusted, I saw that it was Liam. I just told all that to Liam. Liam just comforted me… and I admitted that I miss him. My box of things was sitting on the floor, and Liam had a confused face on. He looked kind of scared too.

“Who… who is this Max that you raising on your own?” asked Liam. “He- he’s…”

“My son?” asked Liam. I opened my mouth looking for an answer, but couldn’t. “I have a son.” Said Liam, confirming it for himself. “Where, Danielle, is my son?