Finding Your Voice

Chapter Two

Los Angeles was a good deal warmer than Katie had expected. Upon stepping off the plane, she had to shed both her scarf and her leather jacket, tucking both safely into her carry-on bag.

Almost immediately she noticed that Scott didn’t follow her to the baggage claim, but instead slung his bulky guitar case over his shoulder and headed toward the exit. He was the fortunate one.

It took two hours for Katie to collect all of her luggage and navigate her way to the exit through the rapidly growing crowd. The airport was quite large and full of the stink of sweaty bodies and undercooked airport food. Having spent most of her childhood in cleaner atmospheres, the overwhelming smell greatly annoyed Katie, but she tried to keep herself cheerful.

When she finally made it outside, she was both annoyed and relieved to see Scott had gotten a car and waited for her. He was leaning against the large, black SUV with his arms crossed over his chest. The stance made him seem a little less scrawny and gave him the illusion of being more broad-shouldered than he actually was.

“Didn’t think you’d wanna share a car with some lady who bitched you out earlier,” Katie said jokingly as she reached the car.

Without waiting for her permission, Scott took Katie’s luggage and tossed it haphazardly into the trunk. Katie cringed, but bit her tongue. Why is he being so nice to me?

“Not that I’m against sharing a ride, but this wasn’t actually me,” Scott admitted, opening the car door for her. “But I would’ve done it anyway.”

Yeah, right. Katie forced a smile onto her face and climbed into the back of the car. It was spacious and full of that wonderful new car smell. Best of all, when Katie’s eyes adjusted to the rather darker interior, was the sight of a tall, broad-shouldered, dark-haired man who would soon make all of Katie’s dreams come true.

“If it isn’t my dark horse,” Adam said brightly as Katie settled into the seat next to him. The back seat was so wide that she wasn’t even touching him or Scott, who had sidled into the seat on her other side. “And my quirky character. Glad you guys made it. I wanted to get some one-on-one time with you before the competition gets heavy. So how’re you guys feeling?”

“Really good, Adam,” Katie answered at once. “I just can barely believe I’m even here.”

“And I’m just looking forward to playing some music for the world,” added Scott. Katie fought the urge to smack him – his answer somehow seemed effortlessly better than hers. How did he do that?

“Well, the competition starts with rehearsals for the Battle Rounds. Do you think you’re ready for this?”

“Absolutely,” both competitors said.

“You’re the last ones to arrive, which is why you had to take such an early flight. Sorry about that, but now I can sit everyone down and announce who’s being paired for the battles.”

“Do you mostly do girls with girls and boys with boys or do you like to mix us up?” Katie asked.

“I try to mix it up, really,” Adam answered thoughtfully. “Sometimes it’s random, and sometimes it’s just people I’m curious to hear sing together.”

“But what if you pair up two really good people?”

Adam shrugged. “I have reasons. I always have reasons. Remember that, okay? That’s really important.”

“What would you be doing right now if you were a competitor?” Scott asked then, leaning forward to see Adam better.

“I’d probably be making friends. Not only does a little support never hurt, but the old saying applies – keep your friends close, and your competition closer.”

Scott laughed. “I think it’s supposed to be enemies.”

With a knowing smile, Adam replied, “It’s a fine line.”

Adam continued to give them subtle hints all the way to the hotel, which was a bit more run-down than Katie had expected. But, then again, four teams of twelve...rooming expenses probably built up fast. Katie hadn’t even thought about the fact that she’d most likely have a roommate. The sudden thought filled her with dread.

They followed Adam into the hotel and to the dining room, which was full of young adults seated at large tables that accommodated six each. Katie and Scott took a seat at the least crowded one, which was empty except for a boy with shaggy black hair.

“Hi,” Scott said to this boy. “I’m Scott.”

“Seth,” the boy replied, pushing his thick bangs away from his face – his face looked like the lovechild of Peter Parker and Chris Pine, except with celery-colored eyes.

“Hey, so, we’re all here at last,” Adam said to the entire room. “So, as most of you know, the show producers have rented out this hotel, but that’s only until the live shows begin in four weeks. The Battle Rounds begin Saturday, but we won’t be doing ours until Monday, alternating with Shakira.

“Then the Knockouts begin next Wednesday, and we’ll do those pretty much randomly. But the scary part for you to keep in mind over the next three days is that, by next Wednesday, half of you will be back at home. Game over. So fight your hardest, but remember to enjoy it. That’s why we’re all here, right?

“Okay, so, now I’m going to pair you up, okay? You’ll find out your songs when you come to the venue at your respective times tomorrow. Okay, so first...”

“I’m so freaking nervous,” Seth whispered to Scott.

“Don’t be, man. You’ve got this. You wouldn’t be here if you weren’t an awesome singer.”

Katie sank a little lower in her seat, embarrassed that she couldn’t have thought of something positive to tell even herself at this point. Not that she had time to worry about what other people were doing at that moment. Instead she was worrying about-

“Okay, Katie? You’re with Elizabeth. You two will be at the venue at one o’clock tomorrow afternoon to learn your song.”

Katie glanced over at her competitor, Elizabeth, who was a pretty little brunette with a nose ring. She glanced over at Katie and smiled, but Katie quickly looked down at the table. No getting to know the competition, she told herself. Just preparation and practicing.

“Oh, I’m so going home,” Seth murmured. “Adam put me with Gena. She’s so out of my league.”

“No way,” Scott protested, “I saw her audition. She’s all hype, trust me. There’s a reason a lot shows don’t let you audition if you’re under eighteen.”

Seth’s cheeks went red. “I’m under eighteen.”

“Yeah, but she’s fifteen. She’s got a good voice now, but it’ll be even more amazing later. You’ve got vocal maturity on your side. Don’t worry so much. Just do your best.”

“And don’t care what others think about you,” Katie added quickly. She immediately regretted saying it – she’d only wanted to look a little less heartless next to Scott – but the look on Seth’s face all-too-clearly said he had suddenly found two new best friends, and Katie was one of them.

Fortunately, she was spared having to fake her way through more pep-talking by Adam coming up to their table and taking a seat. Katie couldn’t help grinning – everyone at the other tables had looks of barely-masked envy on their faces.

“Hey, guys. There’s a breakfast bar over there if you’re hungry,” he said, smiling warmly.

Seth blushed even harder and buried his head in his arms. Scott patted him on the shoulder and said, “I’ll hit that up.” Then he rose from the table and headed off to the buffet.

Taking advantage of her (almost) alone time with Adam, Katie scooted her chair a bit closer and said, “So, any advice to help keep the nerves in check?”

“Mostly just try not to focus on anyone else. Just try to make your performance the best it can be and, basically, say ‘screw everyone else’.”

“Wow. That’s really profound.”

“I know, right?” Adam said jokingly, reaching for basket of muffins in the center of the table.

Katie started to ask something else, but Seth poked his head out of the safety of his arms and asked quietly, “Did you pick a hard song for me and Gena?”

Adam smiled and patted Seth’s arm. “I’d never give you a song you couldn’t handle. Promise.”

At that moment, Scott reappeared at the table, balancing four plates of fruit salad, bagels, and individual-sized boxes of cereal. He set the plates down and took two cereal boxes for himself. “So, hey, Adam. Why are you sitting over here with us? Don’t you have, like, important celebrity business?”

“You guys are my main business. Seriously, Blake cannot win another season. I’ll kill him.”

“What’s your winning strategy?” Katie asked with a grin.

“Be better than Blake.”

“Sophisticated.”

“I know.” Adam helped himself to some fruit salad and Katie began to pick at a bagel as she thought about the eventful morning. She was here. She’d made it to L.A. and was in the competition. Hell, she was eating breakfast with Adam freaking Levine. But she still had a long way to go. The competition had barely begun.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the delay. I've just begun to recover from pretty much the worst and longest-lasting cold ever. But, I'm finally able to focus and finished this chapter post-haste for you lovely readers.

Thanks for whoever's still reading this. Hope you'll stick around for the next update. And, as always, feel free to check out my other stories here and shoot my a friend request while you're at it :)