Sequel: Asylum
Status: Finished

Insanity

The Song Remains The Same

Alice’s P.O.V

I stepped into the bar and looked around with a sigh as I realized it was karaoke night. Bars weren’t really my thing on normal nights, but karaoke night was even less appealing. All it consisted of was people getting smashed and drunkenly singing songs that they didn’t even know the words to, which wasn’t really something I really wanted to deal with. But after the last hunt we were on I had easily given in on Akuma’s demands to go to the bar. We had run into demons that work for her dad and I could tell that she was worked up about it, her body was dressed and she was dressed in a way that usually meant she wanted to get smashed and laid. She did look nice though, wearing tight jeans and a tight low cut shirt, both black, matched with her leather jacket and knee high combat boots. She looked over at me and I met her eyes, a smirk crossing my face as I came up with an idea. “You should get up there and sing.” I said, my smirk turning into a grin when I saw the look of shock and refusal crossing her face.

“If you really want me to sing you can get me to do it in the car on the way home. You know I like to keep my jamming to the car.” She answered, her voice low and silky as she rolled her eyes. It was the tone she always used when she was in moods like this and when she thought that she was going to get away without a fight.

“You’re the one who dragged me all the way here, besides your voice is amazing and you know it.” I argued, lifting myself onto the seat at the bar. I hated being so short sometimes and it was often the butt of the joke with Akuma, especially when we were in situations where I needed her help reaching things. I often cursed her and her long legs. “It might even help you get laid. There’s already a few guys checking you out and the waitress over there looks pretty interested.” I teased, but judging by the look on her face she was intrigued and going to do what I said.

“Fine. But only one song, got it? What do you want me to sing?” Akuma asked, looking down at me with a slightly challenging look in her eyes. She knew I would never pick a ridiculous song because the last time I did she got me hammered and convinced me to sing a song by Justin Bieber before convincing the crowd I was a true belieber. It was a terrible time and I had vowed to never make that mistake again.

“Well… you could do your theme song, Crazy Bitch… Or! You know how much I love Hey Jude by the Beatles. Would you do that?” I asked, looking up at her with a pleading look in my eyes. “You’re great at singing it. And you haven’t done it in a while.” I finished, sticking out my bottom lip and giving her my complete abandoned puppy look. It worked every time and I could already see it working as her face melted into a smile.

“Yeah sure.” She said, turning to the bartender and ordering herself a shot and a rum and coke for me. The moment it was done she took her shot and headed to the stage, her hips swaying and distracting the next guy in line. I was hoping that after this I’d be able to convince her to do more songs. Her voice would be a nice break from the drunks getting up and singing off key. She’d been singing forever and I had always loved and been jealous of her voice. She was a natural and when we were younger we joked about making a band as she also played guitar and I was pretty good on drums. Sometimes when things were bad I would bring up the idea again, just to lighten things up.

With a sigh I picked up my drink and took a sip, tensing when I felt someone directly behind me before they spoke. “Alice?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sam P.O.V.

“Sounds like it’s Karaoke night.” I said, glancing at Dean as we got out of the impala. I could already hear the drunken wailing of some random guy and we weren’t even close to the bar. This would be an interesting night. “Maybe you can sing.” I joked, knowing that there was no way in hell that Dean would be getting up on that stage tonight. With a smirk at the look on his face I headed towards the bar, pulling open the door as the drunken man stumbled off of stage only to be replaced by some woman with black hair. I turned my gaze away from the stage and towards the bar as Dean nudged me out of the way.

“Isn’t that Akuma getting on stage?” Dean asked behind me, a drink already in his hand, and I turned my gaze from a red haired woman at the bar to the one I had seen getting on stage, my eyebrows lifting for a moment as the notes to a song started.

“Yeah I think so.” I uttered, turning my gaze back to the woman with red hair, taking a moment to think things over before I walked up behind her. “Alice?” I asked, watching her body tense before she turned around, her beautiful, emerald green eyes widening as her gaze moved from my chest to my face.

“Sam…?” She said, her eyes nervously flicking to the stage as her sister started to sing, the lyrics mostly overpowering what Alice was saying, a look of slight annoyance crossing her face.

“Hey Jude, don’t make it bad…”

With a sigh I glanced over my shoulder at the man behind the volume control rolling my eyes when I saw him flirting with some chick, a beer in his hand. “What was that? I didn’t hear you.” I called, running a hand through my hair so it was no longer in my face.

“...Take a sad song and make it better…”

“I asked what you’re doing here.” Alice said, looking like she had to yell, which the most sense. I really didn’t know her, but I knew she was a quiet person. She barely spoke on the hunt we worked together about six weeks ago.

Akuma’s loud voice echoed off the walls, causing my head to spin slightly. There was no doubt that she was a great singer, hell she was amazing, but with all the ambient noise mixing throughout the small room was giving me headache already. “...Remember to let her into your heart…”

With another sigh I pinched the bridge of my nose for a moment before sliding into the seat beside Alice and ordered a drink, turning to look at her and getting distracted by Dean for a moment. His face was a rare mixture of awe and what looked like sadness, his eyes dark and fixated on Akuma. I lifted my eyebrows and made a note to tease him about it later before returning my glance to Alice. “We’re just passing through. We’re between cases at the moment.” I said, taking a sip of my drink the moment it was set in front of me. “You?”

“We’re hunting vampires.” Alice replied quickly, lifting her voice again to be heard over the song, and brushing a chunk of brilliant red, curly hair behind her ear as she spoke. “We only got here a few hours ago, but we know they’ve been killing people steadily for about a week, like five people a day.” She continued, looking up at the stage. “We had a rough case in Canada and I thought this one would be a good way to get our minds off of things, though it seems a bit harder than originally thought.” She finished, taking a sip of the drink in her hand.

“... Then you can start to make it better…”

I was about to reply when the singing got louder and I sighed, taking a long swig from my drink, deciding to wait until the song was over before I tried to finish talking to Alice. I couldn’t really explain why I was so annoyed with the whole idea of waiting to talk to her, but I wasn’t going to try to explain it to myself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Akuma’s P.O.V.

I closed my eyes once the music started and let the music wash over me. I had lost myself in this song enough to know that I didn’t have to pay any attention at all. I knew the words by heart and could sing them in my sleep if it came down to it. Once I started singing, the time seemed to fly and it felt like it had only been a second when the song ended and my eyes opened to applause. I offered the room a smile and a small bow before I hopped off the stage, my body tensing a bit as I realized that the Winchesters were sitting with my sister. “Hello.” I said coolly as I walked up to Dean, meeting his eyes and resting my hands on my hips.

“You uh... you’re really good.” Dean said, clearing his throat and causing me to raise my eyebrows. “I didn’t think that you knew that song.”

“Thank You.” I said, forcing my body to relax a bit as I signaled the bartender for another drink. “And yeah… I also know how to play it on guitar. It’s Alice’s favourite.” I said with a shrug, grabbing my drink when it was brought over. “What’re you guys here for?” I asked, pushing past anything that could warrant a conversation that wasn’t business. I was still shocked that I had told him so much the last time we talked, though I had chalked it up to almost dying because of an exorcism. But it didn’t matter if I had a valid reason or not; I couldn’t do anything like that again. If I got to comfortable it might risk the truth coming out and I liked living.

“We’re just passing through, have to stay the night so thought that we might as well stop by here for a drink… Alice said that you’re hunting vampires?” He said, forming it as a question. I refrained from rolling my eyes, turning my gaze to Alice instead and lifting my eyebrows when I saw a look on her face that meant she was determined to win an argument. “... She said that it was a bit difficult. Do you want help?” He asked as I turned to meet his eyes again.

“Yeah we are… But I think that we’re good on our own. Thanks though.” I said, my voice getting cold as I looked down at the nearly full drink in my hand, admiring the dark liquid for a moment before tilting my head back and finishing it off, wishing that it had more of an effect on me.

“Whatever you say Akuma.” Dean responded coldly, rolling his eyes and sounding severely annoyed, which just pissed me off. He had no right to act like it was a big deal that I didn’t want his help after his attitude the last time we worked together. He thought we were useless and in the way and I didn’t need that same stuck up attitude on this hunt. He was full of himself and I’d probably punch him if he didn’t keep his stupid, sexist opinions to himself.

“Hey Alice, what’re you two talking about?” I asked, brushing past Dean and carding my fingers through my hair, trying to think of a reason to leave for at least five minutes. I was still pretty on edge from the hunt we were just on and I’d probably lose it on Dean if I had to keep dealing with him.

“... The best way to gank a werewolf.” Alice said with a shrug and a small smile in my direction before her gaze returned to Sam. She clearly had a plan for the younger Winchester and it would probably end with the both of them in bed. I forgot how much of a lightweight she was and how dirty she got when she was tipsy. I glanced at Sam and then back to Alice, waggling my eyebrows when she finally turned to me again, which only led to her blushing.

“Who’s winning the debate?” I asked with a small laugh, tilting my head a bit and smirking at the glare I earned in response. I laughed again as I realized that she was losing, pushing my hair away from my face again.

“No one.” Alice stated matter-of-factly, her green eyes thoughtful. “Did you bring Deans bracelet in? We never got around to dropping it off at Bobby’s for him.” She said, lifting her eyebrows at me.

“My bracelet? I thought I lost that on the plane.” Dean said from behind me, the confusion clear in his voice as I turned around.

“I found it in the bathroom when I was packing up the next day. You were already gone.” I said with a shrug, digging my car keys out of my coat pocket. “I’ll be right back.” I said, thankful for the reason to leave. I glanced over my shoulder at Alice and rolled my eyes when I saw that she was already back to talking to Sam. With one more look around the bar I walked out, shaking off the feeling that I was being watched.

~~~~~~~~~

Dean’s P.O.V

I shifted in my seat and watched Akuma leave before turning to talk to Alice and Sam, getting distracted by a man that was staring intently at the door, by his eyes dark and the look on his face he seemed dangerous. I watched him for a moment longer to make sure he wouldn’t follow Akuma before turning my attention back to my brother, trying to brush off the feeling that something was wrong by tuning into the conversation but I just couldn’t shake off the feeling that this night was going to take a major turn for the worse.

I stood up after a while and ordered another beer, turning back to where I had seen the guy and frowning when I saw that he was gone. At that my senses went on high alert and I turned to look around the entire bar, frowning when I noticed he was nowhere in sight. I turned to Alice and Sam again and grabbed my beer from the bar while shoving down the urge to go check on Akuma or to have Alice do it. She could take care of herself and I wasn’t about to get into a fight with her because I thought that she couldn’t handle herself.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Akuma’s P.O.V

I let out a sigh of frustration as I dug through my glove box for the second time. I could have sworn I put the stupid bracelet in there, but apparently not. After a few more seconds of digging i shut it and backed out, climbing into the back seat to try digging in the seat. “Son of a bitch.” I growled, stepping out of my car and closing the door.

“Having problems dear?” Someone asked behind me and I turned to face them, frowning when I saw a tall blonde woman holding Dean’s bracelet between her fingers. She had a smirk on her face and a dangerous look in her eyes that instantly set me on edge. I quickly glanced around the parking lot and frowned when I saw only one man standing alone close to a truck, looking like he was fumbling with his keys. The next place I checked was how far I was from the door and I bit back a growl when I saw the woman in the way, her lips pulled back in a snarl. “There’s no use in looking for an escape dear. You won’t be getting away.”

“How the hell did you get that bracelet? It was locked up in my car.” I said, my voice picking up a dangerous tone as I held her gaze, though my senses were expanding. I could hear the chattering in the bar, though the karaoke seemed to have stopped. If anything I could possibly call for help. Maybe one of the others would hear me. All I knew was this woman didn’t smell human. She smelled cold, empty, and dead…. like a… “Vampire.” I breathed, bringing myself back to focus. “You’re one of those vampires we’ve been hunting.” I said with a light smirk. It looked like this hunt would be easier than I thought. They never could tell what I was and though they tried to play it off, but I knew that it scared them.

The woman looked at me for a moment before she tossed her head back and laughed, her sharpening teeth glinting in the light. “Very good my dear Akuma. You’ve figured us out.” She said, her voice dropping to a snarl as she met my eyes again, her body showing that she was ready to strike. “Just like we’ve figured out what you are, daughter of Azazel.”

Now that caught me off guard. “How do you know what I am.. or my name?!” I demanded, dropping into my own fighting stance and holding back the instinct to let go and tear this thing apart. The drunk man was still here and the Winchesters were inside. If they saw what would happen they’d know something was up and it wouldn’t take a lot to figure out at least some parts on their own. I didn’t want to spend the rest of my life running from every hunter in the states and possibly Canada.

“Oh I know a lot of things about you my dear.” She purred, pulling what looked like a knife out of her pocket. If she knew who and what I was she knew the knife would have about the same, if not less, of an effect on me than her fangs. I was just about to ask what the hell she was talking about when I hit the ground, earning a mouth full of gravel. Twisting, I saw the drunk man from across the parking lot hovering above me, his own fangs glinting in the sun. “And soon we’ll know even more. And you’re going to tell me all of it.” The woman continued, moving into my line of sight, crouching so her knee was in my back.

“What do you want?” I demanded, spitting blood and rocks onto the ground, my breath hitching when I felt a sharp burning on my spine, which could only mean the knife she had in her hand. And god did it burn. It felt like she’d dipped it in fucking holy water.

“We want revenge.” A low voice, which I’m assuming belonged to the male that knocked me down, which made the most sense unless there was another one of these fucking parasites. “Your little ginger friend in there killed our family and now we’re here to kill what’s left of hers.” He said and I held back a snarl as the knife was dragged down another section of my back. I needed to keep them talking. I needed to distract them so I could work up enough energy to knock them back. God she must have actually dipped that fucking knife in holy water. It hurt like a god damned bitch.

“When did she kill your family?” I demanded, sucking in a deep breath as I spoke, turning my head a bit so I could see the man’s feet. “I have been with her nearly every day since I met her and she had only just gotten into hunting when I met her. It was her first hunt. The only time I wasn’t with her she wasn’t hunting because she was too busy looking for me.” I snapped, anger rising in my chest. I could almost feel the black of my pupils starting to melt into my irises as the woman laughed and dug the knife into the soft spot between my right shoulder blade and spine.

“Think back eleven years Akuma.” The woman said, her voice getting eerily calm. “I think this is actually the anniversary, isn’t it brother?” She asked, shifting her weight, which I assumed was because she was looking at her brother. It took me a few moments to figure out why eleven years ago was so damned important to her, but then it clicked. Tomorrow was the eleven year anniversary of James and Alice saving me from the nest of vampires and three of them had escaped.

“Son of a bitch!” I snapped, tensing my body underneath her when she dug her teeth into my shoulder. “Get. OFF.” I yelled, lashing out and groaning at the weak blast that came from me. It only succeeded in making the man stumble and the woman fall off of my back. I barely had enough time to stagger to my feet before the woman was back on her feet, a sick smile on her face as she laughed again.

“Now that was a very bad idea sweetheart.” She said, her voice staying calm as she stepped towards me. “You know… I wonder how much humanity a vampire/demon half breed would have… or if you’d even survive… I guess we’ll find out.” She said with a cackle, lunging at me. I moved to take a step back but hit a solid wall of flesh, a swear escaping my lips as his arms wrapped around me. This was the second time I was going to be showing Dean fucking Winchester that I was weak. This was hell and these blood suckers were going to fucking pay. I winced as the male bloodsucker squeezed me and sucked in a deep breath, praying to some celestial being that Alice would hear me before I let out a bloodcurdling scream, that was cut off at the knife being thrusted into my gut and a fiery pain taking over my vision.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dean’s P.O.V.

“Did you hear that?” I asked, turning away from my drink to face Sam and Alice again after what sounded like a scream, my instincts to run outside kicking in. Instead I finished my beer and looked between their faces, Alice was frowning and had a slightly concerned look on her face and Sam looked confused.

“Did we hear what?” Sam asked, shifting to face me and lifting an eyebrow in a way that told me he thought I was imagining things or some other shit.

“I think I heard it too.” Alice said, the frown on her face deepening as she sunk into thought for a moment. “How long has Akuma been gone?” She asked, a look of fear crossing her face as she set her glass back onto the bar and ran her hand through her hair, catching her lips between her teeth.

“I don’t know…” I muttered, looking up at one of the clocks on the wall and frowning, setting my own glass down. “Almost twenty minutes.” I said, getting off of my stool. I knew I should have gone after that guy. If I wasn’t so distracted by Akuma’s song choice or the fact that I’d already been drinking I might have actually paid attention to the fucker. Thinking about it now the look on his face was almost like one of a cat watching its prey.

“Did it come from outside?” Sam asked, looking between me and Alice, a look of panic settling on his face as he pushed his shaggy brown hair around from his face.

“... Yeah. It did.” Alice said, shooting past the both of us in what seemed like a blur of red and black. I didn’t bother looking at Sam before I went after Alice, slowing down when I saw her stop at Akuma’s car. Her face was white and eyes wide as she stared at something I couldn’t see. With a frown I rounded the corner and froze. The keys to the thunderbird as well as her wallet and my bracelet were on the ground next to a pool of blood and the open door of the car.

“Shit.” I said, running a hand over my face and looking around, hoping that there had been a witness or something. My eyes fell on a security camera pointed towards the car and I relaxed a bit, though Alice looked like a wreck. “Come on Alice.” I said quietly, taking a step towards her, only to have Sam push past me and rest a hand on her shoulder.

“We’re going to find her Alice. We just have to make the proper calls first.” He said, his voice soft and his eyes filled with worry as he looked down at our weeping friend, her green eyes filled with fear and fury.
♠ ♠ ♠
SO! This is a bit longer than I expected but I hope you enjoy. Pleas rate and subscribe!

Thanks to Sarina for helping edit.