Status: one shot.

Morhedge Valley

1/1

Tonight is a special night; my first date with Oliver Webber, and I need to do this right. He is one of the most desirable men of Morhedge Valley, and I was just so fortunate enough to catch his attention.

We have been playmates since grade four, but we drifted away once he had to attend private school at the age of fifteen. He developed a snooty attitude with those new friends of his, and completely forgot about me. I couldn't forget about him though, considering he only lived three houses down from my family. Even with his distinct attitude and embellished outfits, I still saw that young boy that chiseled wooden tops for me.

So how did we end up talking again? Well the other day when I was out in the market buying fresh produce for dinner, I spotted him examining the fruit provided by the merchant a tent over. I walked over to him and introduced myself. He claimed to have known me from somewhere, but couldn't quite put his finger on it.

“What might mister private school be doing in the market?” I joke as we ease into conversation.

“I’m just getting a few things for my mother. And why isn't a fine young lady like yourself being assisted by a gentleman for your errands?” He flashes me a smile.

I blush, “I have no gentleman to assist me, Oliver.”

He shook his head and said what a shame it was. He also found it surprising when I told him that we had previously been friends, so he urged me to tell him moments of our relationship to jog his memory. I was baffled though as I reminisced highlights of our pre-teen years and he admitted he couldn't remember. The conversation didn't end there though. He told me that he’s seen me around and he thought I was an interesting individual, which I found odd because I saw myself to be an uninteresting person. What had he seen me do? Anyhow, I happily obliged to going out with him when he asked me. So here I am, getting ready for that date.

My mother helps me lace up my navy blue corseted dress and I pull my pantyhose up, slipping my feet into a pair of black buckled ankle boots. I looked into the mirror as I made a single loose braid going down the right side of my body, reaching my ribs. I turn to find my mother smiling at me, teary eyed.

“Please mother, this is no time to get emotional, I’m not getting married.”

“I know sweetie, but it’s still special,” she sniffled, grabbing my hand. “My little girl, going on a date!”

I playfully roll my eyes. “I’m twenty four, mother.”

“I know. Where did the time go?” She pretends to sob loudly, but I see her smile peeking through. “I am glad that it is little Oliver, he was a fine boy.”

“Yes, he was fine boy. But he’s not little anymore,” I sigh dreamily as I think about his defined arms through his fluffy pirate shirt.

She snorts, “I can only imagine.”

“Mother!” I laugh, lightly smacking her arm.

“What? I am simply feeding off of your facial expressions.”

I stick my tongue out at her then give her hug before running off to meet Oliver. I’m so excited, yet I have no idea what he has planned for the night. He just told me to meet him by the lake that was located a few stretches of land away from here, not too far though. When I arrive, I spot him hooking two paddles to a single wooden row boat. I couldn't get a good look of him from the mist that was rising from the surface of the water, but as I got closer, I could take in all his features. The oil lamp glowed bright against his slicked back shoulder length hair, blond like mine. He wasn't wearing high maintenance clothes like he usually did, and that helped me relax about not dressing too fancy. His brown eyes nearly closed as he greeted me with a smile, showing off his defined cheekbones.

“Well, Helena Venanzoni,” he whistled, “you sure outdid yourself.”

“Oh stop it,” I say, waving my hand in dismissal of his comment.

He watches me as he goes back to steadying the paddles.

“So uh, how have things been while I was away at school?”

“Well, you know…” I look away, running my hand over the smooth wooden surface, “different.”

“Different?” He sticks out his jaw and looks out at the lake, “huh.”

“Wait a minute,” I say, pointing a finger at him, “you said that you didn't remember our friendship.”

I eye him suspiciously as he stands erect and steps closer to me.

“Of course I remember you, how could I not?” The flame from the oil lamp glints in his eyes, putting me in a trance. “I just pretended to not know you because-well, because-”

“Because what,” I interrupt, “spit it out.”

“I didn't want people to know that I grew up with a peasant…so to speak.”

I scoff and cross my arms.

“Peasant? I am no peasant. I’ll have you know that my mother and I are well of when it comes to our riches, thank you very much. I’m sorry that we just like to dress simpler, Sir Webber,” I sneer.

“Whoa calm down,” he says putting his hands up. “I had no idea, seriously. And I dress simply all the time.”

“HA!” I chuckle bitterly, “You wouldn't know simple if it kicked you in the groin, Mr. Silk and Sheer.”

“No need to get hasty now, Helena. Let’s just get back to our date.”

“No way!” I shout, stomping my foot for reinforcement. “You've ruined whatever date this would've been and-”

I abruptly pull him down beside me as I crouch behind the boat. He smirks and wraps his arm around my shoulder.

“No way, huh? This closeness says other-”

I cover his mouth and shush him.

“There is a giant hideous sea creature lurking the shore,” I whisper to him.

He crouches up just a bit to spot the creature, then shoots back down.

“That is one big lizard,” he comments.

I roll my eyes and try to crawl around the boat to see if there was a way to escape unnoticed. I turn to look at Oliver who was obnoxiously waving his hand over the boat.

“What are you doing?! Are you trying to get us killed?”

“Keep quiet, I think he’s blind.”

I lean my back against the boat and cross my arms.

“This has got to be the worst date I've ever been on,” I harshly whisper in his direction.

He snorts, “Like you've been on a lot.”

“Excuse me?” I retort, “I've been asked out plenty of times for your information. I've just declined most of them. Not that it’s any of your business,” I grumble.

“Why is that?” He asks, running his fingers through his hair.

I wanted to reach out and touch it – it looks so soft. If it’s anything like I remember, it still feels like smooth and silky strands of super thin spaghetti. Then again, I am much older now, so I wouldn't describe it as spaghetti if I were to touch it.

“This information is of no use to you.”

“Fine, have it your way. It’s not like we’re stuck here for who knows how long. Might as well keep silent, right?”

This man makes my blood boil. I can’t believe he grew up to be such an arrogant man, ugh. I want my Oliver back. I sigh and burry my head into my knees as I draw them close to me. I should have just left him alone when I saw him in the market place. If he really wanted to talk to me he would've approached me sooner or later. I lift my head and huff some loose strands of hair out of my face.

“There has got to be a way out of here,” I groan.

“Maybe…” he rubs his chin pensively.

“It is blind, right? Let’s just crawl through the grass and run once we think we’re far enough.”

He shrugs, “seems simple enough.”

After some fussing and struggling to not make a single sound, we somehow get far enough to not get caught by the mysterious creature. We get up and run at one point. As planned, we get back to the village in one piece…or two pieces I should say. I watch Oliver as he tries to catch his breath, panting as he’s bent over with his hands resting on his knees. I smirk at him when he finally stands erect, having a triumphant expression on his face.

“Some night, huh?” I lay a hand on my hip.

“Definitely,” he sighs. “Can’t wait for our next date,” he winks.

“Um, no,” I snort, “not going to happen.”

“What - but we had so much fun,” he jokes.

“Look Oliver, I don’t appreciate you marking me as a fool, and I'd really like if you would just stop talking to me. I’ll be fine, believe me; I've dealt with your absence for years.”

I walk off and make my way through the narrow paths that lead to my home. I kind of wished that he had followed me to apologize, but at the same time I’m happy that he didn't. I let myself into the house and stomped straight to my room, kicking my boots off while I’m at it.

“That jerk!” I shout as I throw my muddy dress on the ground.

My mother comes rushing in, asking me what had happened. I lay my head in her bosom, venting to her my thoughts about the new Oliver Webber. She empathizes with me and allows me to fall asleep in her chest while she’s stroking my hair, comforting me.

In the morning after I eat the breakfast that my mother had left for me, I head out back to our field to check on our hens. I crouch in front of one of the coops and unclasp the door, letting my favorite little chicken out. I pet its head and give it some feed before letting the others out; little Minz is the smallest of the group, so the push her around for some extra food. As I get up to get the rest of the feed for the rest of the hens, I notice a particularly well-dressed blonde standing by the side of my house. I approach him with high hopes and greet him.

“Good morning, m’lady.”

“Good morning,” I smile.

“Helena, I came to talk to you about last night,” he looks down at his shoes.

“Go on,” I nod.

“I wanted to apologize for my behavior last night. So I wanted to know if I could make up for it by another date tonight. We start fresh; act like last night didn't happen. What do you say?”

“I don’t know…” I scrunch up my nose, looking away as I pretend to think.

“Oh please Helena, I’m begging you,” he says, getting down on both knees.

“Well, alright. If you insist,” I tap his arm lightly. “See you tonight, Webber.”

“Tonight,” he smiles, “I’ll pick you up before sundown.”

He walks away, looking back a couple of times and smiling at me. I sigh happily, glad that I was able to make up with my old best friend. I get back to tending to the hens then rush inside to gush to my mother about tonight; a new opportunity.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I didn't give any description of the sea creature. D:
- K_K