I'm Not Insane

I'm Not Insane

"As long as you're parents say," he cleared his throat with a sigh. "I'm very sorry, if I could I'd let you go right now."

"How long do you work here?" maybe I'd have a friend. "The days, shifts I mean."

"Monday through Friday six to twelve."

"You work too much," I smiled patting his hand back. "Will you visit me one day outside the white suit? I'd like to say I had one outside visitor."

"Oh me too!" Leana shouted. "I've been here for four years and I still haven't had a visitor."

“Four years?” I asked. “With no visitors?”

“Nope,” Leana shook her head and shrugged. “Not really much of a family, or friends.”

"I'll visit you both, how about that?" Thomas smiled as he looked from Leana to me. "And then you'll say that I was you're first visitor."

"That would be cool," I smiled at him, he nodded slowly. "Just, who takes you're spot on the weekends?"

"His name is Harry Richards and he's a bald guy with a big forehead," he grinned. "Don't tell him I said that, he's my co-worker."

"Will do," I nodded and saluted.

"Well I better get back to work, be good girls," he grinned. "And don't be called crazy."

"We'll try," Leana and I both laughed.

Four days had passed, for some reason I had a vision each day, and each day I got colder, or once I was burning inside. But I didn't tell anyone but Leana, she stayed with me and made sure I didn't die. The pain of having a secret is knowing you're not crazy, but feeling it every breath you take. I can tell you what I see, but that doesn't mean I know what it means, and that's the scariest part. "Are you okay?" Leana whispered pushing my side; I had lain in bed all day, trying not to cry.

"No," I whispered staring at the wall. "I hurt all over."

"You had another vision?" she questioned quietly.

"Yes, there was another person there too, I couldn't tell who though."

“So how many people does that make?” She looked around and counted on her fingers. “Three?”

"Three," I agreed as she rubbed my arm. "I'm cold."

"I'll get you another blanket," she said as she hopped off the bed and ran for the door, I had met Mr. Richards the co-worker of Thomas, he wasn't very nice at all. Thomas didn't visit me yesterday, which was Saturday, like he said.

"Miss Tantos you have a visitor," a nurse's aid said as the door opened wider and Thomas walked in wearing casual everyday clothes, a black long sleeve shirt with blue jeans.

"Hello Constance," he smiled as he held up a blanket, "Leana said you'd need this."

"I'm freezing," I said softly as he put the blanket over me.

"Another vision?" he asked as he sat at the end of the bed.

“Yeah,” I nodded slowly. “What’s been up?”

“Nothing much,” He shrugged.

“Me either,” I sighed heavily and looked around. “Where’d Leana go?”

“I think to go meet her new attendee.”

"I hope she likes him or her," I wished for her, Thomas smiled and leaned back against the wall. "I like that you're my attendee."

His eyes, where the brightest sky blue today, I noticed each day they changed depending on his mood.

"Really?" he smiled. "I'm glad you're my patient."

“You're too sweet,” I said softly as he chuckled.

“I really do like it, though.” He laughed. "You're not crazy; every patient I get that's not crazy ups my mood."

"Well, I'm not crazy so you should be happy," I laughed as he pulled his legs over the edge of the bed. "How long have you worked here?"

"Three years," he shrugged his shoulders. "It's until I get my doctrine."

"What's that?" I blinked slowly, I wasn't the brightest bulb so to speak, some things passed over my head.

"I'm studying to be a physician, a doctor," he nodded slowly. "And I'm taking some psychology."

“Oh cool,” My eyes widened. “That’s pretty awesome.”

“Yeah,” He nodded slowly, smiling.

"I barely finished high school," I shrugged slowly. "I had a year left and I was thrown here."

"They took you from high school to throw you in here?" he asked wide eyed as he sat up straight, I nodded while pulling my blanket closer.

“Yep,” I nodded, Leana walking back in.

“Hey,” She smiled, humming something.

“What makes you so happy?” I asked.

“My new attendee.”

"Care to share, why?" I questioned leaning up as Thomas leaned back, watching us.

"He's really cute," she giggled sitting cross-legged on the floor. "He's sweet too, and funny."

“And his name?” I asked, smirking.

“James.”

"Awesome," I smiled as my legs began to get warm. "I'll have to meet him soon."

"I'll tell him," she smiled widely as she turned to Thomas. "You know Thomas buddy, you were a fine attendee but I'm glad you gave me James, he's so cute!"

“Glad to hear it,” Thomas nodded as Leana pulled him into a hug.

"Well, have fun and get to know each other, I'm going to go pester James," she squealed and ran out the door, skipping actually.

"She's a good girl," Thomas laughed as he watched Leana disappear. "You too Constance, I read you're file Thursday, you didn't deserve to be put here."

"I guess I'm here for life," I chuckled darkly. "The only thing that scares me is the treatments, if I was to have a vision in front of a nurse or attendee, they would take me to treatment."

“You’ll be safe,” He pulled me to his chest and chuckled. “I won’t let them hurt you.”

"You promise?" I questioned my new friend softly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image

Comment