Status: In Progress

Alone

four

"You looking for a car, young lady?" I hear a voice ask behind me. I turn around and see a car dealer. I give him a small smile, even though I have no respect for these guys.

I'm now 30 miles away from the town I last saw Sam and Dean. I caught a ride with a rather friendly old man. He told me to keep in touch, and I obviously told him I would, even though he never gave me his number, and I never gave him his. We'd had a long conversation about life, and what I had learned in my few years compared to his. He gave me a few tips on how to live better. He told me his mistakes so I wouldn't make them. He told me about his wife, who'd died five years ago. He said he loved her till her last breath, and with love her till his last breath too. He also said if there is life after death, he hopes he sees her sometime. He said he travels a lot, but on every Valentines Day he goes to the same diner in Austin, Texas, where he first met her, and took her to on every Valentines Day, and orders her usual meal, and eats it by himself.

"Yeah I am, actually. How about that old Mercury Cougar back there? There isn't a price on that one," I tell him, pointing to the back of the car lot. He follows my gaze, and laughs.

"Oh, that doesn't have a price because it's not for sale. It can't run for its life!" he tells me, still laughing to himself.

"Can I still see how it does?" I ask him, he laughs, then sees that I'm serious so stops and coughs. He nods his head and leads me to the old car. "It's a '69 right? One of the best sports cars of his years?" The man stops and looks at me and shrugs.

"Probably. I mean, I haven't had any time to look at it or research it," he tells me. "It does run, but not well. If you'd like to hear her 'purr'" he puts air quotation marks when he says 'purr',"I'll go see if we still have the keys." I nod my head as he goes into the building. I look at the car a little more. The interior is in pretty well shape. It must be, I guess, it's in the parking lot of a car dealership. It may not be in the best shape, it's got bent rims, dents in almost every fender, there's a rear view mirror missing on the passenger side, but other than that it's pretty well in shape for sitting in a parking lot untouched for maybe 20 years.

The man comes back holding keys. "You wanna drive it?" I nod my head and take the keys. I slide into the drivers seat and put the keys into the ignition. He gets into the passenger seat and I start the car. It takes a few tries, but she starts. I drive off, and the engines spurts, and we jerk forward. "What'd I tell you?"

"That's she's a piece of shit," I say, and pull out of the parking lot. He nods his head. "I, for one, don't think so." I take her down a few blocks and drive around for a bit. I soon pull back into the parking lot. She might not be in as good of condition as the other cars here, but she's 45 years old, compared to the, at most, two year old cars here. I park her back in the spot and get out. The man smirks as he holds out his hand.

"I'll take those back, now," he chuckles.

"I want her," I tell him. He stops, and gives me a look. He sighs and shifts his weight.

"Look, I'll give it to you for 15 hundred. It's a piece of crap, I don't know why you'd want it," he tells me.

"Because I can do something like, oh I don't know, fix her up," I tell him, a bit annoyed with the way he's been talking to me. He leads me to the building, so we can do paperwork, with my fake name, of course.

I drive my new car to the nearest mechanic, hoping we can work out a deal. The mechanic is conveniently about three blocks down, just enough for my baby to make it. I get to the garage and the guy motions for me to pull in. I do as I'm told and I hop out of the car. "How can I help you?" the man asks. He's a middle aged man, maybe late 40's. He's on the chubbier side, and has no hair on his head except for a small beard forming.

"I was wondering if I could work out a deal with you," I tell him. He strokes his beard and nods his head. "I am actually just driving through town, and I found this beauty," I say, motioning to the car behind me," and I was wondering if I could fix her up here. I don't have any tools or anywhere to work considering I'm staying at a motel. I could pay you, but you wouldn't need to help me."

He continues to stroke his beard, absorbing what I just told him. He starts nodding his head and shifts his weight. "Sure. How about 20 dollars for using my shit?" He says, but smiles. I smile back and nod my head. "I'll do anything for a pretty girl who knows how to fix her own car."

"Thanks, man!" I say, and hold out my hand for him. He shakes it and he decides to show me around his shop so I know where to find what I'm looking for. He finally makes it back around to where we started and pats me on the back.

"Good luck. By the way, I'm Gary," he tells me. I nod my head and he goes about his business as I start on mine. I take off my jacket to reveal my white t-shirt. I through my jacket on a chair close to me and I go over to the tools to start. I decide to start under the hood and then move to the outside. I pop the hood and start to get to work.

~~

"Hey, I think it's time you go to your motel," Gary tells me. I slide out from under the car and stand up, wiping off my hands on my jeans. I look at the progress, which doesn't look very far to someone who doesn't know anything about cars, but if you do, you'd be pretty proud of me.

"Hey, could you give me a ride to my motel? Or do you have a car to spare? I can't really drive her there," I tell him. He nods his head and tells me to wait a second as he goes into a room I haven't found out what's inside yet. He comes back out carrying some keys.

"These go to the red Ford down there," he tells me and hands me the keys. I take them and nod my head saying thanks. I grab my jacket and go out to the car. I get inside and start the pickup, and drive to the motel. It's about three miles away.

I make it to my motel and pull up in front of my room. I take the keys out of the ignition and get out of the car, grabbing my jacket.

I worked till eight P.M. and I should probably thank Gary for telling me when to stop, because I wouldn't have ever quit fixing up that car until she was good as new. I'm full of car oil, and grease, but I love the smell. I learned how to fix cars from endlessly watching Dean fix up cars in my dad's old junkyard. He'd always ask me to hand him a tool, and after awhile I new what tool he needed before he even asked me what to grab. I started doing it with him, for fun, and we'd always have competitions to whoever could take apart an engine and put it back together the fastest. I never really beat him except for a few times, and he'd always rubbed it in my face. He was always a sore winner, and I guess he still is.

I get into my motel room and am met by three men. I don't know any of them, and as a reflex, I pull out my knife from my boot and hold it ready to hurt any of them in any way. One of them holds up their hands. "Whoa whoa whoa, calm down. We aren't here to hurt you. We just want some information," one of them says. I still grip my knife, hard. I don't like not knowing what or who they are. That question is soon answered as the tallest man smirks, and his eyes turn completely black. Then followed by the two others. They're demons, just my luck. I don't have my demon blade conveniently on me. It's in my bag in the bathroom, hopefully.

"What do you want," I ask them, mostly monotone. The one in the middle smirks and walks towards me. I don't back up, trying to show I'm not scared, even though there's a little part of me that is, considering I don't have anyway of defending myself. He gets about three inches from my chest, then stops.

"We want to know the location of the Winchesters, simple as that. You tell us, we let you go, alive," he says, smirking down at me. "We know you're very close to them, you must know. Why aren't they here now?"

I laugh and look up at him," I haven't talked to them in months. I don't know where they are, and frankly, I don't give a shit. I guess you could say we had a 'falling out'." The demon looks back at the others.

"Well, I guess that's to bad, because we really need to know where they are," he tells me, still giving me that smug smirk. I roll my eyes, pretending not to be affected by what they just told me. "I guess we'll need to get rid of you." I pretend to get an idea, hopefully saving my life.

"I might have an idea of where they are. Maybe a region," I tell them. The demon smiles and nods his head.

"I knew you'd come around," he says, and puts an arm around my shoulder. "So tell us, sweetheart, where are they? Exactly?"

"There's a job in Clarence, Kansas. They probably went there, looking to hunt a monster, like always," I tell them. "Look, don't take my word for it, they might have finished already, but that's where they told me they went." I lie. But this confidently, knowing if I show any sign of doubt they'll question it. The demons nod their heads, probably thinking whether or not to trust me.

"Thanks sweetheart, we''ll come back to visit if we have any troubles," the one who's been doing all the talking says, and winks. He motions for the others to follow me and one of them gives me a kiss on the cheek before leaving. I would have kicked his ass because of that, but because there's three of them, one of me, and I don't have my demon blade, I know it's not smart. As soon as they close the door I let out a sigh of relief.

I slide off my boots and put my knife into them, setting them next to the door. I look back out the window, and don't see anyone, fortunately. I walk over and close the blinds, making sure no one can see inside my room. I grab some comfortable clothes and change into them, throwing my dirty clothes in a corner in the bathroom, like usual.

My phone starts ringing and I look at the caller ID before I answer. It says 'Unknown.' I sigh and answer. "Hello?"

"Regan? We need your help," I hear Sam's voice say. I smile as soon as I hear it. I missed his voice.

"Sammy?" I ask. I hear him let out a small chuckle, but his voice sounds very serious.

"Regan we're in Salt Lake City. We don't know where we are and all we have is our phones. We've been in here for two days, and we haven't found a way out. We need your help," he says, pleading.

"We? Or just you? I don't hear jackass over there asking for anything," I say coldly.

"Regan, you can yell at him later, just please. Can you help us or not?" he asks, obviously desperate for any kind of help, even if it wasn't from me.

"Fine, I'll try and see if I can get there by tomorrow morning," I tell him. I hear him have a sigh of relief.

"Thank you so much, Regan. We're so thankful," Sam says.

"You're thankful," I say stiffly, and hang up. Every time. I knew this was going to happen sometime. Whether it was me asking for their help, or the other way around.

I grab my bag and dirty clothes from the bathroom and grab my other bag full of weapons. I grab my phone slide on my boots and head out of the motel. I put my stuff in the car, and hurry to check out. I call Gary and am left with his voice mail. "Hey, Gary. I need to leave town for a little bit, a family emergency, and I need to take the car you let me use. I'll be back by next week. Thanks, man!" I say and hang up. I hop into the car and pull out of the motel. This is going to be a long drive.