Status: In the process of revision.

Brief Encounters

Six

Spending time with Eden seemed as habitual as ever until the next Friday arrived, and I knew I had to tell him that I would be having dinner with Sidney. I tried to convince myself of how strong or persuasive I could be, but it was a false hope, and I was unable to stop my hands from shaking that morning. Coffee was spilt on the kitchen floor at the expense of my nerves, with the glass it was in, shattered. I felt like I was in a position where I was trying to be a criminal and stealthily run away with stolen dignity to go out with another man to eat. Though, I had just triggered the alarm once I dropped my mug and coffee, and woke up the guard. When Eden came in to the kitchen to see what happened, he arrested me like the thug I was, and brought me into the living room for questioning. There was only a slim chance that I would go unpunished after I told him what was on my mind.

"Lottie, are you all right?" Eden asked, placing a hand on my arm. "You've been acting different lately..."

I was ready to cry when reality hit me, and shouted to the core of my eardrums that it was my turn to speak up. The truth held within me was afraid to come out, and it beckoned that I keep my mouth shut, but the betrayal was inevitable. I soon found my vocal chords working, and my mouth opening to reveal what I didn't want to admit.

"I'm going out to dinner with a friend tonight." Voice cracking, I averted my gaze. "It's been bothering me because I knew that once I told you, you'd get upset."

Eden dropped his hand from my arm, and then reoccupied it by grazing the stubble on his cheeks. His azure eyes looked anywhere but at mine, and eventually darkened along with his mood. I could feel his energy draining from the vibes let off, and when I heard him sigh, I was drawn to stare back up at him again.

"Who is it with?" A succinct question sounded.

"Sidney..."

It was a mere whisper that escaped my lips, and until I saw Eden stiffen, did I acknowledge that he heard what I said and knew who I was talking about. There went another fantasy of mine, in which I imagined his memory of Sid being tarnished, that was just destroyed. The impact of losing more confidence left me feeling wobbly on my legs, and a moment later I had to sit on the couch.

Eden followed me, and caused a deeper depression into the cushion we were both sitting on. His hands entwined together, and that's when I knew he meant business.

"I thought you had nothing else to do with him, Lottie. You saw him two times already, right?" He faced me, squinting his eyes. "And isn't he busy with his job? Being a hockey player doesn't leave much leisure time. You've probably just dragged him into it and he's too nice to decline. Give him a break."

I was shocked on too many levels to respond, and instead all I could do was close my eyes and hum a response to let Eden know I heard him. Meanwhile, my heart was yearning for attention, hoping that I would listen to what it wanted me to do, and that meant screaming the truth. He didn't know that Sid was the one who invited me out, or that Sid chose to spend his free time with me. Eden only assumed that I was the perpetrator, and that thought alone made me want to fight my case. However, my brain spoke of reason and swayed the desire I felt from my heart. If I didn't argue, then perhaps he would still let me go out.

The touch of Eden's hand on my knee shook me from my thoughts, and my eyes snapped open to see a weary-looking face. It was at that moment I realized my plan had worked, and that he was giving in to my silent pleads.

"Well," he cleared his throat, and looked away, "just go with him tonight, but that's it between you two. He has his life, and you have yours. Those were accidental meetings the last times, and they didn't mean anything."

I stood up, accepting his offer, and was walking to the door for work when a question popped in my head.

"How did you know he played hockey?"

Eden got up from the couch, and made his way into the kitchen. Once he was out of view, and his words plagued the air and my lungs, I shakily left the house.

"Your search history."

. . .


Hours passed and there was no sign of Sidney walking into the pet shop. My shift was coming close to an end, and every now and again the fleeting sensation of doubt filled my veins. Perhaps Sidney overheard what Eden had to say about him, and decided he truly was wasting his time. After all, who was I to a superstar?

"Hey Lottie!"

Jumping at the familiar voice, I came face-to-face with my date. He was wearing a white dress shirt, and a pair of black slacks. A classic look.

"How did you get in here, Sid?" I breathed, placing a hand over my frightened heart. "I didn't even hear the bell sound off."

"I have my ways..." he grinned. "Now, can you show me to my pup? I've got a couple of goodies for her."

In Sidney's hands was a bag with a box of treats sticking out of the top of it, and what looked like a rope or collar of some kind at the bottom, protruding from the plastic material. The giddy way in which he swung the bag told me that whatever he bought was one-of-a-kind, and that only someone like him could purchase. It made my insides feel queasy at the acknowledgement of his social and financial power, but I agreed to show him to the back room where the dogs awaited us.

Upon entering the fur party, and being bombarded with all kinds of greetings, like being bitten in the ankle or clawed on the arm, the dogs settled out to their normal status. As always, my beagle sat beside me and looked on with pride for claiming me from the others, and as expected, Sidney's papillon approached us with uncertainty. I watched with a chest full of laughter waiting to burst out at the superb attempts Sid made to get the dog to come closer to him. He clapped his hands, snapped his fingers, and even developed a high-pitched tone to call his pup over. However, all of his effort was put to shame as the papillon backed up further in detest.

"Maybe you should show her the treats." I suggested. "Dogs usually forget their grudges when they see food, you know?"

Sidney nodded his head, and began taking the box of treats out from the bag. The look in his eye reminded me of when I saw him play a hockey game back in Canada that was sponsored by our school. There was a sense of passion and determination, and it made me stare on to admire. I soon found myself wondering if those were the qualities I needed in order to achieve my goals in life. I've been let down so many time before that perhaps I missed that to paint the big picture, I needed the right materials. If only they were so simple to find just like right now...

"Hey, what are you staring at with that goofy smile on your face?" Sid stared accusingly at me, with a daunting smile perched on his lips.

I was caught blanking out, and so I deservingly let a blush creep onto my cheeks.

"Nothing... I was just thinking-"

"-About what?"

I wanted to tell him then and there how inspired I felt when I was around him because he was such a successful person and genuinely showed that off, but I figured it wasn't the right time to be mushy. After all, we hadn't eaten dinner yet and I didn't already want to scare him away; I was starving.

"I'll tell you later," I smiled. "Promise."

Once more I felt like he sensed my true emotions as he picked up an analytical leer and flashed it my way. He was currently scoping how soft I had become or affectionate my will yearned to be, and that I was hiding away everything I sought to show. It made me flustered just as last time when he decided to pull out his x-ray mechanic and use it on me without consent.

"All right." Sid croaked, and then turned to the papillon I didn't even know had actually walked up to him because of how badly I was consumed in my own thoughts. "Are you ready for the big surprise?"

At first I didn't know he was talking to me until he briefly glanced over my figure, listening for a response. Like I seldom did with Eden, I hummed. A moment later Sidney pulled out the mystery gift from the bottom of the bag, and held it up as if it were a trophy. Then to make me start laughing, he even mimicked the sound of a trumpet going off.

"It's a custom-designed Pittsburgh Penguins dog collar!" He exclaimed.

His hands moved quickly to take the collar that was already on the papillon off, and to replace it with his present to her. From the way her tail wagged at an intense speed, and how happy her wails sounded, I could tell the pup had forgiven Sidney. It was an adorable sight to see.

"That is so cute, Sid." I couldn't help but comment.

"Yeah, well, I know how to treat a little lady good." He said in his dog-voice, while scuffing up the papillon's fur as he pet her.

I was glad to have looked away before Sidney caught my gaze and tried to pick up if I got his underlying message. I know that I did, but it felt wrong if I embraced the thought of him treating me right if I weren't with Eden. Therefore, all I could do was clear my throat and change the subject.

"So, are you ready to go out to dinner?"

He stood up with a sigh, and brushed his pants off.

"Yeah, I sure am."

"All right, cool!" I turned on my heel. "I brought something else to wear, so I'll just get changed and then we can go."

. . .


After what felt like ages of deciding where to eat, Sid brought up the restaurant that we both saw each other after years of being separated by our own ways of life. I figured that since we were dressed fancy for the occasion and that the food was delicious there, we should go. Then, twenty or so minutes later, we were being seated in the back room with the chilly air vents all over again.

I felt unnerved when we first arrived and sat in the booth we were brought to. It seemed as if Eden was watching us from where he and I dined last time, and made sure I wasn't enjoying myself too much. I was haunted by his presence and intentions, even though he wasn't actually there in the same room. I hated it.

"Should I get another pitcher of water like last time, or would you prefer some wine since they actually sell it here?"

I looked up from the menu that I tuned out of focus, and said, "Wine, definitely wine."

Sidney's chuckle at my behavior eased some of the tension I felt building up. Then, after he called upon the waiter and ordered a bottle of Merlot, he turned his attention back to me. From the new twinkle in his eyes, I knew he was up to something.

"So," he drawled on, packing the anticipation. "who did my team face last Friday?"

My mouth immediately dried up; I forgot that he was planning to quiz me on his game. I did remember, however, that I felt scandalous that night, staying up to watch hockey when I should have been in bed with Eden. I had the volume the lowest it could go on TV without being muted, and I was seething silently when the opposing team made a major hit or scored. Luckily, I wrote some notes down.

"It was the Philadelphia Flyers, wasn't it?" I squeaked.

Sidney nodded his head, and grinned. "Yes, it was... Did I score?"

My thoughts flashed back to my small notepad and the scribbles on it. There were the letters that went in order of the alphabet: N, M, O. Though, there was also a "C," and I knew it had to be Sid.

"You did... and it was the winning goal."

"Bingo!" he laughed. "What overtime was it?"

Remembering how exhausted I was from staying up so late, the answer came quickly.

"Third overtime."

"Wow, you really did stay up to watch my game... I'm proud of you."

"Well, why wouldn't I watch? I had to be prepared for my quiz."

I wish I could have taken back my question, and been happy I got all of the answers right, because I got a response that I wasn't in the mood to welcome.

"Considering how I've seen Eden treat you, um," Sidney averted his gaze. "I think he could have stopped you from watching the game."

A cold feeling shot through my veins, then, and the only area on my body that I felt heat was on my face from anger. I had already told him before that Eden wasn't the problem and inferred that he should leave me alone about that subject. The fact he just pressed it against me once more, made me want to splash him with wine that was just brought over and poured for us.

"Can't you come off it?" I grumbled.

"I wish I could, but it really bothers me, Lottie. I don't like seeing or sensing how he treats you-"

"-You don't know anything! Stop acting like you do." I snapped, gaining the attention from a couple on the other half of the room. "Eden is not a bad guy."

Sidney sat up straighter in his seat, and then leaned forward so that every word he said wouldn't slip by to others who weren't apart of the conversation.

There was an edge to his voice, "I think I know something. It's obvious to me that you do so much to please him and he takes it for granted. You feel like you're doing him wrong, and take it out on yourself. That's why you never seem happy when I bring him up. It just reminds you of how you can't make an impression on him...

"But it's not you who is the problem, Lottie, it is Eden. He doesn't realize how good he has it with you. If anything, he just degrades you even more by controlling your life or who you hang around, am I right?"

I said nothing.

"You're not in an equal relationship, and that's what gets to me. If I am in a relationship, I do my best to treat her as well as she treats me. I learned from hockey all these years that there has to be fair play between you and your teammates. One can't always hog the puck and tell the others what to do... I'm the captain, so I know all about that." He took a breath in. "Eden is running your life, and I can tell. I can honestly relate to how he acts, but I'm not like that anymore. That's how I picked it up with your behavior, acting like one of my upset teammates... I'm sorry for ranting and putting so much on you right now, but I had to get it out. You've always been a nice girl. You deserve better."

For a moment, I didn't know whether I should kiss or kick Sidney, but in the end, I was smiling. He must have sensed that he did good because he also smiled, and placed his hand on my shoulder.

"Thank you." I breathed.

"Please, don't-"

"-I mean it." My eyes locked onto the wine glass. "I needed to hear that."

A sigh escaped his lips, and from my peripheral vision, I saw that he shook his head.

"I wish it didn't have to be me who told you, though. After all, we hardly know each other still."

"I'm glad it was you. No strings attached like other people."

He hesitated, "Yeah... no strings attached."

I would have been a fool to let his pause slip by me, but I at least tried to ignore it. For the remainder of the night, we ate our food in relative silence, and listened to the classical music playing from the vents nearby. I was happy he didn't bring up what I was thinking about in the pet shop that I promised to tell him about; I probably would have started crying. It was a struggle to calm down from being overwhelmed by the truth of Sid's words, but with the help of my trusty friend that went by the name of Merlot, I managed.

By the time the bill came around, I was glad to have brought my purse so that I could be able to pay the tip this time, despite Sidney not wanting me to. We left the restaurant and stood in front of it as we normally did now. The air was warmer outside, and for that I was glad.

"So, I've been waiting all day to ask you this, but... there's a party tomorrow at Mario Lemieux's house, and I was wondering if you wanted to go with me."

Another thing I came to be glad of was the dark, so that Sidney wasn't able to see the flush of my face.

I asked softy, "What's it for?"

"The Penguins ranked number one in their division for playoffs, which is coming up in a little over a week. It's a big deal, not that you would really know."

We both laughed, but eventually I was taking a large breath in, ready to reply. After all that was said today, I felt like it was paying him back to at least go with him tomorrow. If I didn't, I know the next morning I'd be kicking myself and would perhaps even jump out the window for being such a terrible person.

"I'll go." I tried to smile. "What time is it at? I can meet you here for you to come get me."

"No, no, no. That's not how it's going to be like. I'm picking you up at your house."

"But-"

"-No 'buts', Lottie. I don't care if Eden sees me or not, I am going to get you at your house."

I wanted to tell him off, but my instincts told me yet again that I would be rude if I did so. Therefore, I begrudgingly nodded, and let him tell me he would be at my house around seven once I told him my address. Then once everything was settled, I began walking back in the direction from which we originally came. Only just as I took a step off the sidewalk to cross the street, a hand caught my arm. A second later, Sidney's lips were crushed against my cheek.

Not knowing how to respond, I allowed a crooked smile to flaunt my face, and I let him see it for a brief moment before turning around to hide my stupid emotions, and carry on home.
♠ ♠ ♠
I did not mean for this chapter to take so long, guys, I swear. Time just flew by, and before I knew it, I noticed that it was already 25 or so days since I last updated. For that, I am very sorry. :(

This chapter was a very important one, so I think that's why it took a while to get out. I had to make sure that it hit certain points of the plot correctly, and such.
Also, I started writing this Patrick Kane story. It plagued my mind, and I had so many ideas for it that it was hard to think of ideas for this Crosby chapter. yeah.

Also, I'm sure you've noticed the new layout! Do you like it? :)

Well, anyways, I planned out how the next couple of chapters will go for this story, so updates might come quicker. Be sure to comment if you'd like! It means so much to me whenever you do!

Lots of love~