Sequel: Flying High
Status: Finished! I hope everyone enjoys this story! Look for the sequel STARTING OVER

You Never Know

11. Getting ready

11. Getting ready 

After my lunch with Sidney, which went very smoothly by the way, I went home to figure out just what I was going to wear. I went through my entire closet before finally giving up and texting Max. 

NIC> where are you taking me tonight.....trying to decide what to wear. 

MAX> casual....

NIC> not helpful

MAX> you look great in anything my beauty 

NIC> sweet.....but still not helpful 

I roll my eyes at his last message but I can't fight the smile that creeps onto my face. My phone dings again and I see another message from Max. 

MAX> I promise it's really low key so anything with jeans will work. 

NIC> that helps.....a little 
MAX> good. I'll see you in 30

I glance at the time and see that it's 6:30. 'Where did the freaking time go!" I jump up and throw on a pair of dark wash jeans, a white long sleeve, blue scarf, and some jewelry. I just finish with my hair and make up when I hear a knock on the door. 
I walk to the door just as he knocks again and slowly open it. I peak around and see Max looking at me.

it's safe to open this time; I'm not going to attack you again," he says with a big smile.

I smile back, so he knows I'm just messing with him, and open it all the way.

"Damn, Nic. I should though. You look great," he rambles.

"Thanks. You didn't really give many details on where we're going so I did what I could," I blush realizing I probably said too much as normal.

"Your perfect Nicole," he says. His eyes are so honest that I have to look away.
"Thank you, again," I say as I grab my keys and purse.
"You ready," he says in an attempt to tease me.
"Lets go," I tell him. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

We pull up to a small store that was tucked away just outside of the city. Truthfully it looked like it was closed but I really couldn't tell. Max sees me staring and reaches over to take my hand. I look back at him, his face is lite by the dash which gives him a blue glow.

"I promise, it's much better inside, and the food is amazing."
"As long as this isn't a slasher movie I'm good." 

He barks out a laugh and opens his door, quickly coming around to my side and opening mine.

"After you my lady," he says half bowing as he offers his hand again. I take in with a smile plastered across my face and let him lead me to the door. 

When we enter I stop dead in my tracks. The whole inside is decorated like a miniature version of Italy. There's hanging baskets of flowers every where and the whole place is light with only candles, giving it a soft glow. There are paintings on every wall, and intricate wood carvings mixed with delicate iron fencing. All the tables are covered in white linen and places on top is fine china. 

I look at Max, who is looking at me.

"This place is amazing, Max."
He smiles softly and says,"Wait until you see our table."
"We're not eating in here?" I ask.

Just then a waiter walks up and ask if we are ready to be seated. Since we are he leads us to the back. We go through the French doors to a patio. I'm stunned again as I look at the outside; this side that looks nothing like the front of the building. 

Outside there is a single table set for two. Instead of white linen like the tables inside, this one has a black cloth, and is set with white china with a gold band around the edge. There is a bottle of whine sitting in a chilling bucket and on the center of the table is a singe red rose. 

I'm speechless as I try to take everything in at once. There is a flower garden in full bloom surrounding a marble fountain, the water dancing in the soft light. Behind the low stone fence is the most perfect view of the city and the thousands of stars that light the sky. 

Max clears his throat.

" Do you like it?" He asks me, a little insecurity leaking through.
"I love it Max! It's beautiful," I say as I walk over a give him quick kiss.

He looks more than pleased, I guess because we hadn't kissed all night. He pulls out my chair like a true gentleman and then pours me a glass of whine. Our waiter comes and takes our orders and then it's just us again. 

We small talk about everything under the sun as our food comes out. I had ordered the house special and Max had ordered the Alfredo dish. When we finish eating we walk around the garden and stop at the fence. 

I realize Max had been quiet for a few moments and I look at him. He's staring at me and I ask, "what?"
He shakes his head and smiles, "you, Nicole, are beautiful."
I blush and say, "oh, thank you."

He reaches over and brushes his fingers along my cheek. I look up and meet his eyes, locking gazes with those amazing deep blue irises. 

He leans down, while holding my face, and gently brushes his lips against mine. I can feel the electricity run through my body as our kiss deepens.

We separate long enough to catch our breathe and he asks, "are you ready to go?"

"Yes," I breathe.

His eyes dance in the light as he takes my hand and leads me away. 
♠ ♠ ♠
I love this chapter. Had so much fun writing it. Let me know what you think!