Sequel: Flying High
Status: Finished! I hope everyone enjoys this story! Look for the sequel STARTING OVER

You Never Know

14. All Fun and Games

14. All fun and games 

The next morning I'm awakened by Pascals alarm going off. I roll over and see that it's 6 a.m. I groan and roll the other way just as he comes out of the bathroom. 

"Good morning Nicole," he greets me.

"Ugh, morning Duper," my reply is muffled by the pillow over my head. He laughs and goes about his morning routine, when there is a knock on the door.

"Weeellll, gooood morning boys and girls!" Comes from the door way as Jordan and Marc enter our room. 

I raise my head and see them looking at me. "Is everyone this freakishly happy in the morning?" I ask, just as another knock sounds.

This time it's Sid, Kris, Max, and Geno. Geno drags himself in and falls onto the bed, right on top of me. "G! Get off!" I squeal and try to wiggle away. He rolls over and cuddles into my pillows. "I guess that answers my question," I say with a snicker. 

The guys all lounge around as I get ready. "Hurry up Nic! We're starving over here waiting on you," Marc chirps from the chair by the window. I walk out of the bathroom after straightening my hair and go up to him. I motion for him to stand and he does. I walk around him, I can feel all the guys looking at me, as I evaluate Marc's physic.

Then I reach out and pinch a flabbier part of his torso. "Ouch!" He exclaims. "Your just shriveling up aren't you Flower?" I say then let go of him. "Ha ha," he says then sticks his tongue out at me. I blow him an air kiss as I grab my phone and card key. "Lets go guys," I say and they fall out behind me. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Nic here!" I hear Pascal call over the ice for the puck at our morning skate. I'm at point and see Kris and Max coming at me to try and steal the puck. I send it flying to Duper, who immediately sends it to Kunitz, who sends it to Sid. Sid does a fancy move around Paulie and sends it top shelf on Flower.

"YEAH!" 

'BEEEEEEEP!' "Great job boys! Circle up!" Dan calls out. "Good shot Sid, Kuni good pass, Duper good call for the puck it was nice and loud. Nic, great eyes and ears. You keep this up and you'll have a spot up top on the first line permanently. Good hustle to the rest of you. Stretch it out, get changed and be back on the bus in 20." 

We break and head back to the locker room to get our stuff. "Good job out there today, Ms. Green," an older man stops me outside the locker room. He must work for the 'Canes organization because he had on the uniform that I had seen several others wearing.

"Thank you Mr....."

"Marshall, but please call me Andy. All the boys here do." "We'll Andy, thank you," I say shaking his hand.

"Pleasures all mine. Do you mind if I get an autograph? It's for my grandson."

I smile at him, "I'd love too."

I take the puck he offered and quickly sign it. I shake his hand again and go into the locker room.

"Hurry up Nic bus leaves in 10," Duper calls out. I rush through my stuff and make it to the bus with three minutes to spare.

"It's all fun and games until someone gets left behind," Jordan calls out as I take my seat.

"Nice," is all I say and settle next the Geno for the quick ride back. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

When we get back we grab a bite and then head up to our rooms for our pre game nap. Duper is already asleep when I get back. I swear he can sleep through a hurricane. I just settle down when I hear a soft knock.

I jump up and run to the door. I look out the peep hole and see the desk clerk from down stairs. I open the door and he says, "good afternoon miss. I'm sorry to disturb you, but this package was just delivered for you." 

He hands me a box; I thank him and them shut the door. I open the box and inside are a dozen white lilies wrapped together by black and gold ribbon, and in the center is a single red rose. I smile and pick up the card to read it.

'For your troubles and sorrows, thank you is not enough but We hope it's a good start,'
it's signed by the whole team and I'm on the verge of crying when I hear Pascal stir.

"Nicole?" He sits up and looks at me as tears streak down my face. "What is it, Nicole?" He comes over and sits by me and sees the package. "We had hoped that it would lift your spirits, our intent wasn't to make you cry," he says while wiping my tears away.

"It did, I promise. That's why in such a mess right now. This means a lot Pascal."

"And why is that?"

"Promise not to tell the guys?"

"Yes"

"I've had a hard time mentally adjusting here. I didn't feel like I belonged on this level; on this team. It's a great feeling knowing you guys accept me fully," I finish as the last tear falls.

"Agh, Nicole, you earned the right to be here, no one can take that away, the boys love you, and I believe your meant to be a penguin; you just fit so well."

"Thanks Duper," I say. "Now lets get some sleep, or Kris will be proven right about you not being any good for us tonight," he says with a laugh. I snicker and decide that he's right so I climb under the covers and settle down. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few hours later, Pascal and I make our way down to the bus. The first guy I see is Kuni; I run up and give him a big hug for the flowers. I go around the group finally ending with Max. 

"Saved the best for last huh?" He asks with a cheeky smile.

"If that we're true, she would have stopped on me," Flower states from our right.

"You certain of that?" Geno says and then picks me up and spins us around. "Geno!" I exclaim with a laugh. "Well it's good to know my team is getting along," we hear from behind us. I see Sid smile and I turn to see who it is.

Sidney walks up and shake the mans hand, "Mario, glad you could make it down."

"I always do on the first away game," he replies. Then he looks at me and says, "Nicole, lovely as always."

I blush and reply, "thank you. It's nice to see you again Mr. Lemieux."

He chuckles and says, "Mario, just Mario miss Green." A few of the guys snicker, including Max, who I promptly elbow. "Oomph, ouch!" He stage whispers. 

Mario makes his way around the circle before turning back to us. "Well, I hope everyone is ready. I want you to go out tonight and play your game. I have a lot of confidence in this years team. So good luck, play smart, and play safe." With that he leaves and we all shuffle onto the bus. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long delay. Let me know what you think!