Sequel: Flying High
Status: Finished! I hope everyone enjoys this story! Look for the sequel STARTING OVER

You Never Know

17. New Morning

17. New morning 

The next morning I wake up feeling stiff and sore everywhere. I slowly rise out of bed, trying not the wake Duper, and make my way to the bathroom. By the time I'm finished Duper is awake and Max is sitting on my bed. 

"Good morning beautiful. How are you feeling?" Max asks me, I can see he's trying to cover his concern with his playful smile.
"Sore everywhere. But better than yesterday," I answer as I put makeup on.
"Lets go get some breakfast, maybe that'll help some," he suggest.
"You coming Duper?" I call out. "I'll be down soon. You two go ahead."

We enter the elevator and Max gently presses into me and gives me the most amazing kiss.
"I've been waiting to do that all morning," he says with a smile as the bell dings for the lobby. I just smile at him and we step off. 

"Nic!" Geno yells across the room when he spots us. Several of the guys are already there eating so I go over and fix my plate. Marc pulls out a chair for me and I join him and Geno, Kris, Sidney, and of course Max. I look around and realize that Jordan is missing. 

"Where's, Jordan?" I ask the table.
They all pass a look and Sid clears his throat, "he went over to his brothers last night after you got back from the hospital. No ones talked to him since then."
"Should have gone with him," Max mumbles under his breath. I give him a look and he looks away but I ignore it.
"Had anyone tried to call him?" 

"Who we calling?" Comes from right behind me causing me to jump which causes me to groan to because of my side.
"You stupid," Marc says.
"Well I'm here, no need to worry." I see Max tense up but I can't see why because Jordan is in my way.
"Why the hell did you bring him here!" Max asks his voice raising slightly.
"He wants to talk, Max."
"Like hell! He doesn't get that right after yesterday!"

I jump up, ignoring the pain in my side and say, "Enough! Max we've already talked about this remember?"
I look past Jordan to Eric and say, "I'll meet you outside in a moment."
He nods and walks out of the room.
I look back at Max and say, "being protective is one thing, but this controlling bullshit stops now. If it doesn't then we aren't going to work." I storm out without giving him a chance to reply and go looking for Eric. 

I find him on a bench by the fountain. When I walk over I realize why he picked that spot, seeing as it was very open and easily viewed, but the noise from the water drowned out any chance for someone to over hear our conversation. He looks up as I approach and then goes back to playing with his phone, I guess he's kind of nervous. I sit down and he looks back up at me. 

"I want to apologize for what I said on the ice. It was rude and I was raised better than that. Guess I forget how to act sometimes." 
"Well you are related to Jordan so I figured that." 
He barks out a laugh and says, "he said you were feisty, and I know your a fighter," to make his point he rubs his face where there is clearly a bruise forming. 
"How much trouble did you get in?"
"Eh, not bad. Jordan and I got into it, then mom stepped in and finished the job," he flinches at the thought and so do I. 
"I know that all too well," when he looks at me I continue, "I have two older brothers. When they would fight mom always had the last word. And if one of then had said what you said, I probably would only have one big brother." 
He laughs again and then asks, "how's your side? I saw the puck hit you. Sorry about that too."
"That's not your fault. I blocked it on purpose. It's bruised and I'm out for a while but nothing's broken."
"Good, I look forward to playing you again, Nicole." He stand up and offers me a hand which I take. "And I look forward to winning again, Eric."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

After saying goodby to Eric, I walked back inside to finish eating. When I enter the room Max is waiting for me along with the rest of the team. Pascal is there also and the guys must have filled him in on what happened because he nudges Max from behind.
Max steps forward, "look Nicole, I'm sorry for acting like a dick. Your right about you being able to talk to whoever you want. So, yeah I'm sorry," he finishes with a sheepish grin. I can't help but return the smile. I walk up to him and give him a hug so he knows I'm not mad. He returns it and and whispers, "your way to damn desirable Nic." 

"Soooo, what did big brother Staal want?" Marc asks from behind Max.
"To apologize," I say turning to him, "apparently someone told mama Staal that he was mean to me," I say smiling at Jordan.
He has a shit eating grin on his face, "I never tattle, she just happened to be there when I confronted Eric."
"Yeah right, your forget that I'm number three in the line up too, Gronk." The guys all laugh including Jordan.
"Alright everyone it's time to head out!" Dan calls over the noise. We all shuffle to the elevators to get our stuff and then head to the bus.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back on the plane we all take our seats, I'm by Geno again which is fine he's a really good flight partner. He and I are talking about our favorite places that we've traveled too, his is Rome mine is Paris. We just get started into an argument about the food at each place when we hear Sidney over the speakers.

"Attention everyone," the plane quiets done, "so last night we weren't able to properly congratulate one of our players. With one goal, one assist, and her first fight, Nicole we proudly present you with this golden puck for your Gordy howl hat trick!"

The plane erupts with applause and calls as I try and hide behind Geno. 

Sid walks down the isle to hands the puck to me and gives me a hug before sitting down by Marc. Kris leans over the seat with a magazine rolled up like a microphone, "so how do you feel after your fight last night?"
"I feel great," I say with a laugh and then grimes because of my side. He laughs and turns back around to play his game.
"You feel ok?" Geno asks me, his eyes full of concern.
"Yeah, it just hurts when I laugh. That's all." He nods and says, "if you need anything, tell Geno."
"I will," I tell him with a smile, then settle in for the remaining flight to Florida. 
♠ ♠ ♠
three updates in one night! Another coming your way soon!!