Sequel: Flying High
Status: Finished! I hope everyone enjoys this story! Look for the sequel STARTING OVER

You Never Know

Time With the Boys

2. Time with the boys

I step onto the ice just a Coach blows the whistle to end practice.

"Alright boys good practice today. Before we break for the day I would like to introduce our newest player, Nicole Green. I expect you boys to treat her just like one of the team, because she is one of the team. Nicole would you like to say anything?"

Everyone turns and looks at me and I can see Max, Jordan, Kris and Marc smiling at me.

This gives me a little confidence so I speak up," Hi guys thanks for having me, I'm really excited to be here and look forward to practice tomorrow with y'all."
Okay, not the best speech but I was so nervous. 
Dan smiles and says," alright your all free to go."

Everyone left the ice heading for the locker room. I had brought my shoes out with me so I quickly changed and headed for my car. Just as I made it to the parking lot I heard someone call my name.
As I turned I saw that it was Evgeni.

"You come to lunch?" He asked. His Russian accent was adorable.
"I don't want to intrude," I say just as Sidney, Jordan, Marc, Max and the rest of the team came out the door.
"Coach say treat you like team. Team go out for lunch, everyone," he states.
"Yeah, Nic, you can't argue with that," Pascal says.
"Well, ok then. Where are we going?" I ask the group in front of me.
"Rio's," Sidney answers.
"Alright I'll meet y'all there."
"Cool, I'm riding with Nicole!" Jordan yells from the back of the group.
"Not Fair! I wanted to ride with her," Max pouts.
"Sorry Max but Jordan beat you to it," I say laughing along with the others.
"What's so funny? I'm being serious," Max said.
"You dude," said Pascal.
"Just wait until y'all see my car. Then only Jordan won't be laughing."

This peaked the guys interest so they followed me out to the parking lot.
"Oh hell no, I can't fit into that," days Jordan when he sees my Porsche coupe.
The guys are rolling and Marc says, "have fun in that Staalsy."
"I'll trade with someone.
" "To late bud. Get in or miss out," I tell him.
He does with some complaint and then we're off. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When we arrive at Rio's we are quickly seated in the back so we can have some privacy. The staff had to push some tables together because there were so many of us. We all sit down an I'm between Geno and Marc ad across from Sidney and Kris. The guys are all talking about the up coming game against the Caps when I hear Kris clear his throat. 

"So, Nicole, tell us a little about yourself," he says.
"What do you want to know?" I ask, seeing that I had the whole tables attention.
"You know, how old, where your from, any brother or sisters and how many. The basics for now, we'll ask the harder ones after," he says with a slight smirk.
"Dude your not suppose to ask a lady her age!" Marc says with a huge grin on his face.
"It's cool. I'm 21, I grew up in a small town In Mississippi, 3 brothers, no sisters; sorry to disappoint you," I answers seeing his smirk fall.

'Nic 1 guys 0' i think.

"When did you start playing hockey," Sidney asked.

I smile figuring he would be the one to ask me that.

"About three years ago," I answer him and then take a sip of my water waiting for their reaction.

They were all stunned silent and Jordan's mouth was literally hanging open. It was the reaction I was expecting because I had been ask so many times already. 

"Wait, three years ago?!" Pascal exclaims since he was the first to recover.
"Yeah, my roommate for freshman year played when she was younger and offered to teach me since I was interested. She had to start from the basics of how to skate to puck handling and shooting techniques," I tell them.
"So let me get this straight," Mr. Practical a.k.a. Sidney says," as of three years ago you couldn't even skate, let alone actually play hockey?"

"Yep," I say as I take another sip of water.
"How did you get so good so fast?" Kris asks.
"Well, I always loved watching hockey and after Cara taught me how to play I kind of became obsessed and spent ever opportunity I could at the U's rink working on different things. Coach G saw me and offered me a spot on the team so I got to work out with them."

"How does your family feel about you playing? Especially with you going up against men?" Jordan asks from down the table.

"Mom was worried at first but she's always worried about me," I say with a smile, "my step dad tried to keep her from going insane when they had the chance to see me play in collage. The boys weren't worried because they know I can take care of myself. Something I've learned to do as the only girl in the family growing up," I laugh at the last part and get several of the guys to join in.

"We'll be able to help out on that though so your mom won't have to worry too much," Pascal says with a fatherly air about him.

Our food arrives and everyone gets down to the business of eating

"What about your real dad?" One of the younger guys asks me.
The smile that was on my face quickly fades as I answer,"he's not in the picture."

An awkward silence falls over the table and I internally kick myself for being so abrupt with the kid. *chirp chirp chirp* my phone goes off alerting me that I have a text. I look at it and see that it is from my oldest brother and quickly answer it. I went to put the phone back in my purse but suddenly a hand flashes out and snatches it.

"Chirping us already miss Nicole?" Jordan asks from behind me with a goofy grin plastered on his face.
"And who might this be? Your boooyyfriend?" He says in a super cheesy girly voice.
"Your an idiot Staalsy," Marc says.

I look down the table and notice Max looking at me before he quickly glances away. 'What was that?' I think,' it almost looked like he was disappointed. '

"No Jordan, that was my brother actually. I don't have a boyfriend at the moment," I say glancing back at Max. He looks relieved but I can't figure out why. What would it matter to him if I did.
♠ ♠ ♠
Second chapter let me know what you guys think!